Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 hour ago, oblong said:

What also was "sad" was the prosecutor who tried to cover it up, who is now facing charges over it.  It was also sad how the cops were concerned for the well being of the murderers.

Lynchings were not just the murder of black people.  It was the state sanctioned murders of black people and until video emerged this was headed down that way.

Having video available of this incident, which is incredible in its own right, makes me wonder how many lynching murders happened throughout American history, and that we can't know about because no record exists like this exists. It boggles.

10 hours ago, pfife said:

if you want to argue that lynchings don't happen have at it.  Otherwise we're to the point where both of us don't know what you're arguing... again.

I suspect that while not zero, both lynchings and teachers teaching sexual orientation/gender identify to kids under 8/9 years old is effectively zero.  You want to use Auhmad Arbery as an example of a lynching, fine.  The issues with getting them convicted, that was a real issue that should be addressed.  But still, rare and illegal.  

So i'm not really arguing anything, just pointing out and questioning, why is this lynching law have bi-partisan support, when it solves absolutely nothing, and why is this Florida law being criticized, when your own side says the only part they don't like in the bill isn't happening anyway?

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

you are asking why a bill declaring targeted murder is indeed wrong has bipartisan support and why people are criticizing a law that tries to erase gay people from existence?

3. Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards.

To play the pfife card, don't tell me how you think it may get interrupted, tell me what specific to that language from above erases gay people from existence? 

As for the law about lynching, I guess i'll go to Chuck's response to Archie.  At least there are laws on the books that resulted in the murderers of Arbery to go to jail even if they didn't go to jail for lynching.  Yet no one on this board has joined Chuck and is outraged that today, 2022, kids can have orgies in Church and there is nothing anyone can do to stop this.  Even if we don't have any reports of this ever happening, it absolutely must be addressed.

26 minutes ago, oblong said:

you are asking why a bill declaring targeted murder is indeed wrong has bipartisan support and why people are criticizing a law that tries to erase gay people from existence?

This is 100% liberal propaganda and simply a lie.

There is nothing in the Parental Rights in Education bill that harms gay people or anyone.  It protects kids from being taught something they are too young to understand or should have to deal with.  Your people are making something out of nothing to get liberals all worked up. 

4 minutes ago, Archie said:

There is nothing in the Parental Rights in Education bill that harms gay people or anyone.  It protects kids from being taught something they are too young to understand or should have to deal with.  Your people are making something out of nothing to get liberals all worked up. 

The irony of Conservatives turning to government to protect them… 

Most children typically develop the ability to recognize and label stereotypical gender groups, such as girl, woman and feminine, and boy, man and masculine, between ages 18 and 24 months. Most also categorize their own gender by age 3 years. However, because gender stereotypes are reinforced, some children learn to behave in ways that bring them the most reward, despite their authentic gender identity. At ages 5 to 6 years, most children are rigid about gender stereotypes and preferences. These feelings typically become more flexible with age.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/childrens-health/in-depth/children-and-gender-identity/art-20266811

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I suspect that while not zero, both lynchings and teachers teaching sexual orientation/gender identify to kids under 8/9 years old is effectively zero.  You want to use Auhmad Arbery as an example of a lynching, fine.  The issues with getting them convicted, that was a real issue that should be addressed.  But still, rare and illegal.  

So i'm not really arguing anything, just pointing out and questioning, why is this lynching law have bi-partisan support, when it solves absolutely nothing, and why is this Florida law being criticized, when your own side says the only part they don't like in the bill isn't happening anyway?

yeah I can hardly figure out why both parties would be against lynching.  That's a tuffy lemme ponder that one

29 minutes ago, Archie said:

you are simply full of unadulterated unrefined shit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, oblong said:

you are simply full of unadulterated unrefined shit

Don't get mad at me because you have been caught pushing liberal lies and false propaganda from your party.  I can prove it too.  Read the bill. I'll even provide a link to make it easy.  Also you should be careful what you post. The mods don't like personal attacks here.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

To play the pfife card, don't tell me how you think it may get interrupted, tell me what specific to that language from above erases gay people from existence? 

My card isn't that.  It's "I SAID WHAT I SAID NOT WHAT YOU INTREPRETED CONVENIENTLY"

Irony noted.

48 minutes ago, Archie said:

Don't get mad at me because you have been caught pushing liberal lies and false propaganda from your party.  I can prove it too.  Read the bill. I'll even provide a link to make it easy.  Also you should be careful what you post. The mods don't like personal attacks here.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557

LMAO  Oblong, tell us about the mods here pls

2 hours ago, pfife said:

yeah I can hardly figure out why both parties would be against lynching.  That's a tuffy lemme ponder that one

I'm not saying anyone should be for lynching, i'm saying it was a waste of time to put that bill through.  Just as it's a waste of time to put the GOP bill through.   Just as Chuck's proposed law of outlawing orgies in Church.  

I was only questioning why the opposition on some of these and not others.

6 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I am really curious to hear the "conservative" defense of this bill...

If this becomes a law, that’s a hateful travesty. 
How fucking dare they.

I’m angry as hell reading that, and damn it, I would get on a bus to goddam Missouri and join in a demonstration and get arrested if need be.🤬

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

If this becomes a law, that’s a hateful travesty. 
How fucking dare they.

I’m angry as hell reading that, and damn it, I would get on a bus to goddam Missouri and join in a demonstration and get arrested if need be.🤬

You're probably surprised but I agree with you.  The problem with abortion is each side is extreme.  Its all or nothing.  I don't like abortion used for birth control but there are situations like medical issues and rape where it is warranted.

22 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I'm not saying anyone should be for lynching, i'm saying it was a waste of time to put that bill through.  Just as it's a waste of time to put the GOP bill through.   Just as Chuck's proposed law of outlawing orgies in Church.  

I was only questioning why the opposition on some of these and not others.

Back in my philosophically more conservative days, I was more sympathetic to the idea that making things that are already illegal ‘more illegal’ is little more than a kind of virtue signaling, but as time goes by, I’m less sure our society isn’t becoming one in need of more formalized consensus virtue signals. If a guy with a deep record as a ‘real’ philosophical conservative, say a Justin Amash, opposed something like this one the grounds given above, I’d accept that as an honorable position, but not from this  current House GOP rabble.

On 3/12/2022 at 2:24 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Back in my philosophically more conservative days, I was more sympathetic to the idea that making things that are already illegal ‘more illegal’ is little more than a kind of virtue signaling, but as time goes by, I’m less sure our society isn’t becoming one in need of more formalized consensus virtue signals. 

Right? It's like if something isn't expressly forbidden, then it doesn't count. Everyone turns into George Costanza. 

George Costanza Was That Wrong GIF - George Costanza Was That Wrong  Pleading Ignorance - Discover & Share GIFs

On 3/12/2022 at 2:24 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Back in my philosophically more conservative days, I was more sympathetic to the idea that making things that are already illegal ‘more illegal’ is little more than a kind of virtue signaling, but as time goes by, I’m less sure our society isn’t becoming one in need of more formalized consensus virtue signals. If a guy with a deep record as a ‘real’ philosophical conservative, say a Justin Amash, opposed something like this one the grounds given above, I’d accept that as an honorable position, but not from this  current House GOP rabble.

I think the EC vote and January 6 is a good example of this.  Something we took for granted as just a formality and paperwork was exploited, even if it was a futile attempt based on the law, but it's clear there needs to be stronger emphasis on "Look, this is what this actually means!".  Sometimes you have to underline things.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I think this insight is so spot on....

great points.

the problems are multifold and deep and won't be solved in the short term and maybe not at all,

but getting the GOP to reject authoritarianism would be a huge push in the right direction

the problem is, so many Americans really relish hating their fellow Americans, and that won't end anytime soon

9 hours ago, oblong said:

I think this insight is so spot on....

The sacrifice of the Ukranian people might save the US.

Either that, or ship Carlson and all the other right wing fascists, and that includes Trump & his militant supporters, over to Russia for the next two decades. They can report on what it's really like under a fascist dictatorship. 

That could be interesting.

I mean... if they even survived.