Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

Listen, you don’t have to go back to the 50s or even the 60s or 70s to find what work was like for women. In the early 80s when I questioned how one person in my group was promoted before I was, the answer my manager gave me was “well ….  he has a family.” I’m serious.. He said this to my face. Not that I wasn’t justified not that I wasn’t qualified not that I didn’t deserve it, but because he had a family.

• Thanks 2

In the 50's families could live well off a single income.  Today both mom and dad have to work to provide a decent living for their family.  The kids are worse off for it. Pretty soon those kids will have to get jobs to help pay for living expenses thanks to skyrocketing inflation.

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

I've mentioned this before, so sorry if you've already heard it.  My dad was told to hire an AA women back in the 70's when he was at Phillip Morris.  That shrunk his pool of candidates from hundreds to just a few.  He picked who he thought was the best of the bunch, but felt bad as he felt he was setting her up to fail.  He said she tried, but really sucked at the job.  1-2 years later, she leap frogged him and became his boss.  One of the best bosses he ever had.  My dad was very conservative, but he always pushed back on anyone that outright rejected affirmative action.  

The guy I hired I knew from high school. Very intelligent and a good fit. He didn't last that long with us since there were other opportunities. He and his twin brother later became HBSC Presidents. He didn't last that long in that post for unknown reasons.

Meanwhile my wife went on to manage two top ten market radio newsrooms. 

2 minutes ago, Archie said:

In the 50's families could live well off a single income.  Today both mom and dad have to work to provide a decent living for their family.  The kids are worse off for it. Pretty soon those kids will have to get jobs to help pay for living expenses thanks to skyrocketing inflation.

Maybe if wages kept up with the market. But Free Market and all that.

13 minutes ago, Archie said:

Guess what was stronger in the 1950s than today. UNIONS! The decline in wages can and should be correlated directly to the decline in union membership and collective bargaining power. Wages brought more purchasing power because unions negotiated better wages that stay inline with COLA adjustments and helped to hold executive pay raises and power in check.

25 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Guess what was stronger in the 1950s than today. UNIONS! The decline in wages can and should be correlated directly to the decline in union membership and collective bargaining power. Wages brought more purchasing power because unions negotiated better wages that stay inline with COLA adjustments and helped to hold executive pay raises and power in check.

Unions went down fast when many stopped being labor organizations .  Now a lot of them are political orgaizations that use membership money to fund their cause.

When I worked for a union in 2012 we were told our priority was to campaign for obama and to put membership issues off.  Less and less union members are considered democrats so unions are shooting themselves in the foot being shills for the party.

18 minutes ago, Archie said:

Unions went down fast when many stopped being labor organizations .  Now a lot of them are political orgaizations that use membership money to fund their cause.

When I worked for a union in 2012 we were told our priority was to campaign for obama and to put membership issues off.  Less and less union members are considered democrats so unions are shooting themselves in the foot being shills for the party.

Walter Reuther was a significant contributor to the Civil Rights movement of the 1950's and 60's. Reuther and UAW leadership were quite political. Unions in the 1930s were some of FDR's biggest supporters of the New Deal. Union leadership and organizations pushed for legislation like the National Industrial Recovery Act of 1933 and the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Walter Reuther was a significant contributor to the Civil Rights movement of the 1950's and 60's. Reuther and UAW leadership were quite political. Unions in the 1930s were some of FDR's biggest supporters of the New Deal. Union leadership and organizations pushed for legislation like the National Industrial Recovery Act of 1933 and the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938

I'm well aware of Walter Reuther.  However, Reuther was a union man first that fought for the people and membership. The UAW is a long way from the Walter Reuther days.  Most of International leaders have been charged with corruption and have or are doing time for it.  

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

News flash. Unions were political in the 50s 60s and 70s as well.  You weren't paying attention.

As well as the 30's  and the early 1900's. Try reading up on the miners and company towns in the UP around the turn of the 20th century. 

News flash...I said unions WERE labor organizations.  Sure they dabbled in politics but it wasn't their primary function. That all changed 10 to 20 years ago.  Many, or I should say the ones I'm familiar with in Michigan are political organization first. 

In 2016 most unions backed Hilary while the majority of their membership supported Trump.  That didn't do anything to help their support from within. 

UAW President Bob King is responsible for Michigan being a right to work state.  He thought he was bigger than Gov. Snyder and lost the war.  King was behind Mi. Prop 2.  Snyder asked him to drop it and he wouldn't go for RTW.  King wouldn't, Prop 2 was overwhelmingly turned down so Snyder enacted RTW.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

It's difficult to have a strong manufacturing union when most of the manufacturing jobs have disappeared.  It has nothing to do with "becoming" political organizations, they always were.

Union membership has declined from both. More RTW states have popped so people aren't forced to join.  Companies have been building in the south where unions have tried to organize but have mostly been turned down.  NAFTA and other liberal policies that have pushed jobs out of the country haven't helped anything either.

Edited by Archie

This doesn't sound political at all to me. Just a bunch of mine owners knocking a few heads to keep their employees living in poverty (especially the Eastern European immigtants)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_Country_strike_of_1913–1914

FWIW, one of the reasons I quit a job was to avoid joining AFTRA (before they merged with SAG). I felt they were a toothless union at the time. 

6 hours ago, Archie said:

UAW President Bob King is responsible for Michigan being a right to work state.  He thought he was bigger than Gov. Snyder and lost the war.  King was behind Mi. Prop 2.  Snyder asked him to drop it and he wouldn't go for RTW.  King wouldn't, Prop 2 was overwhelmingly turned down so Snyder enacted RTW.  

There is truth to this point.  Once it failed the MI GOP made it clear to Snyder that had no choice, similar to Biden and buying Russian oil he just went with it.

I feel most political issues are on a pendulum.  Unions are of course political.  There was a time where they were perfect for the time, a time when they were too powerful, and now, a time where they are too weak.  Stronger unions, combined with some national security related push to produce more goods here, could bring back some of the glory that did exist in the 50's, and due to our progress since then, benefit a more diverse segment of the population.

Edited by ewsieg

2 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Putz. “Do you know who I am”, indeed.
Why, yes… yes, we do.

The grand poohbah of putzes.

🥱 So predictable that those words would dribble off those lips. lol

Putz:  Do you know who I am?

Service staff:  Excuse  me everyone, does anyone know who this gentleman is?  He seems to have forgotten 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a lady pull that on me... she was.... a wife to a cop.  We work out in fitness classes in a building that's also the community center which includes a theater.  One of our instructors bought, out of her own pocket, one of those heavy duty wagons so we could move our weights when going to either the gymnasium or outside.  Some of his chipped in since we benefited from it.  At some point it went missing.  A few months later we were wandering around some of the meeting rooms and we found it in a kitchen area.  I started to take out was in it and she came up and asked what i was doing.  I told her the cart didn't belong there, it was for the fitness area as we bought it out of our own pockets and we've been looking for it.  Heated discussion ensued and she said "Listen, do you know who I am married to?"    I just shrugged and said I didn't care and when she told me I advised if that mattered then call him, I'll be in fitness studio #2.

Basically the theater people were looking for a wagon and found one so they just took it.  

13 minutes ago, oblong said:

I had a lady pull that on me... she was.... a wife to a cop.  We work out in fitness classes in a building that's also the community center which includes a theater.  One of our instructors bought, out of her own pocket, one of those heavy duty wagons so we could move our weights when going to either the gymnasium or outside.  Some of his chipped in since we benefited from it.  At some point it went missing.  A few months later we were wandering around some of the meeting rooms and we found it in a kitchen area.  I started to take out was in it and she came up and asked what i was doing.  I told her the cart didn't belong there, it was for the fitness area as we bought it out of our own pockets and we've been looking for it.  Heated discussion ensued and she said "Listen, do you know who I am married to?"    I just shrugged and said I didn't care and when she told me I advised if that mattered then call him, I'll be in fitness studio #2.

Basically the theater people were looking for a wagon and found one so they just took it.  

So, you are saying this theater lady had a flair for being dramatic?  :--)

Edited by romad1