Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

10 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

So dishonest, but not one of his constituents will know it’s a lie, so there you go.

I know everyone here hates Bill Maher, and he certainly has been galloping around on his pet hobby horses for some time now, but this might help explain why.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

He exposed the entire government of being either too weak or unprepared to stand up to his bullying.  Even the Dems didn't know how to respond.  Both impeachment hearings were weak even though the second one was insanely obvious.  They still haven't been able to do anything to him the last year and a half.         

12 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

He exposed the entire government of being either too weak or unprepared to stand up to his bullying.  Even the Dems didn't know how to respond.  Both impeachment hearings were weak even though the second one was insanely obvious.  They still haven't been able to do anything to him the last year and a half.         

He definitely exposed the swamp, but also proved he was all to willing to be part of it when it suited him.

As for the impeachments, I disagree with the first one.  They definitely could have gone more in depth and built a better case, but there is a point of diminishing returns.  Dragging it out and not focusing on the obvious parts they did include certainly could have led to less public interest and thus the same outcome, regardless of the facts.   They put a case in front of the Senate, where just looking at the facts presented, allowed a guilty vote.  At the same time, made the facts around the call clear to the public as well.  Obviously wasn't enough, but likely nothing would have been enough. 

As for the second one, that was simply about putting it on record.

If Trump truly wanted to drain the swap he would have fought for anyone or all of the following policies and changes . . .

1. A lobbying ban for elected officials and government employees/appointees. One that either outright bans them from becoming registered lobbyists after leaving government or enforces a long timeline between leaving government and becoming a lobbyist.

2. Called for an end to Citizen's United and corporate personhood that allows corporate PAC money, protected under the guise of free speech, to be funneled into campaigns.

3. Called for public financing of campaigns. Building off the call to end Citizen's United, he would have advocated that all campaigns for federal office are required to be funded either entirely or at least a certain percentage of public funds.

4. Called for an end to stock trading by elected officials and high-level cabinet appointees and federal officials. 

5. Proposed an end to individual state gerrymandering and pushed for legislation to enact a federal gerrymandering statue where all states are required to draw their house district maps based on the same criteria.

6. Required all Presidents to fully divest any business operations they or their immediate family own into a blind trust.

7. Required a full financial disclosure of all elected leaders, including the President, and their immediate family. This includes tax returns, investments, trusts, businesses owned, etc.

Trump never called for any of this because he is too monumentally stupid to understand the complexities of these public policies and others that could have truly drained the swamp. He is also too monumentally corrupt and too much a grifter to advocate for these policy changes, against his own self interests.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

On 6/4/2022 at 8:43 AM, romad1 said:

I have a friend who works for VW here in northern Virginia.  He's really opposed to EVs.  I think he's really into the emotions of the internal combustion engine.  I asked him about the plan for the market to be dominated by EVs and he said: plans can change. 

I don't know how many engineers and designers who work in the Detroit Metro, Tokyo, Seoul, Munich, etc. might share those opinions but it is a bit dispiriting.  When I bought my last vehicle it was the lack of available options and the range consideration that kept me from committing.  I ended up with a car that made me happy 5 days a week and miserable when it came the day to fill the tank. 

I drive a VW ID4; it is like driving a space ship; incredible car; I only go DC East, Stafford South, Leesburg West and Gaithersburg North, so car fits all my needs. I am never going back to ICE.

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

I drive a VW ID4; it is like driving a space ship; incredible car; I only go DC East, Stafford South, Leesburg West and Gaithersburg North, so car fits all my needs. I am never going back to ICE.

I have been a Honda customer for 25 years, same dealership for about 8 cars, they treat us like royalty, but Honda seems to be really slow off the mark on EV's and I think it might be because they are so hopelessly in love with internal combustion and feel like they have perfected it in cars, lawnmowers, snowblowers and everything else.  I probably will be looking in about 2 years and I think it will be time to switch to EV, whether Honda is ready or not.

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

I've done the DC to Detroit drive in my family truckster (minivan and SUVs) and it sucks.  I do it in my current car and its not a problem at all.  The value of having a good car that handles the road seems to have been lost on the consumer who loves the SUV.

30 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I've done the DC to Detroit drive in my family truckster (minivan and SUVs) and it sucks.  I do it in my current car and its not a problem at all.  The value of having a good car that handles the road seems to have been lost on the consumer who loves the SUV.

depends on the SUV. I've had a couple that drive really well - have been through the Appalachians, Sierra's and Rockies in Winter and Summer and never felt like I missed being in my old pocket rocket Jetta on the mountain roads. But aside from good geometry that's also old school hydraulic steering. I'm still not 100% on the car with the electric rudder. if I drive it enough (and we went cross country) I get to where I don't notice it, but then when I get back behind the wheel connected to the oil pump I realize I want to keep the old tank running at least one more year. 

I like our RAV 4 Hybrid, much better mileage than our Highlander, I think she gets about 38 MPG. It's also comfortable enough for the two day drive to Detroit. (It's 11 hours, but we don't push it anymore). I'm not sure what direction we'll go in a couple of years when the lease is up, probably hold on to this one. It also takes away moving on the reoccurring RV lust since there is absolutely no towing capacity in the hybrid.  

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

depends on the SUV. I've had a couple that drive really well - have been through the Appalachians, Sierra's and Rockies in Winter and Summer and never felt like I missed being in my old pocket rocket Jetta on the mountain roads. But aside from good geometry that's also old school hydraulic steering. I'm still not 100% on the car with the electric rudder. if I drive it enough (and we went cross country) I get to where I don't notice it, but then when I get back behind the wheel connected to the oil pump I realize I want to keep the old tank running at least one more year. 

I drove all over the United States, central Europe and elsewhere in APCs, jeeps, trucks, Hummers, and have had my fill of the road boats.  I'm happy to be in something lower and more refined.

Edited by romad1