Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Good stuff. Though TBF, not many states were holding presidential primaries in '52 (If I count right on Wikipedia it was only 13). So getting the most primary votes in '52 might not have meant what it would mean today.

nope.  And Dewey, even though he was a two time loser, still held enough clout with the bosses who matter.   Dewey was instrumental in getting both Nixon and later HW Bush the attention of the party elite.  How much history did he change without being  POTUS?  

5 hours ago, pfife said:

Those exist there?

Its convoluted.  The guy was apparently appointed by the previous Poroshenko regime in Ukraine (yes, he is a Georgian politician) to be governor of Odessa.  He quit because he was not a fan of the corruption the Poroshenko regime. 

Saakashvili supported Ukraine's Euromaidan movement and the Revolution of Dignity.[15] On 30 May 2015, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko appointed Saakashvili as governor of Odessa Oblast.[16][17][18] He was also granted Ukrainian citizenship,[16] and due to restrictions on dual nationality under Georgian law, was stripped of his Georgian citizenship.[19] On 7 November 2016, Saakashvili resigned as governor while blaming President Poroshenko personally for enabling corruption in Odessa and in Ukraine overall.[9] Four days later, he announced his goal to create a new political party called Movement of New Forces.[20][21]

https://americandiplomacy.web.unc.edu/2015/09/saakashvili-as-odessa-governor/

On 26 July 2017, Saakashvili (at the time staying in the US) was stripped of his Ukrainian citizenship by Petro Poroshenko, and became a stateless person.[22][23] On 29 May 2019, he returned to Ukraine after newly elected President Volodymyr Zelensky restored his citizenship.[24][25] On 1 October 2021, Saakashvili returned to Georgia after an eight-year absence, and called on his followers to march on the capital, Tbilisi.[26][27] He was arrested later on the same day in Tbilisi. [28] According to the investigation, Saakashvili entered the country secretly in the container of a sea cargo ship, in violation of the law.[29] President of Georgia Salome Zourabichvili stated that she will "never" pardon Saakashvili.[citation needed] Later Zourabichvili confirmed her first statement again,[citation needed] while Saakashvili announced hunger strike joined by other members of his party.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58767420

https://www.state.gov/treatment-of-former-president-of-georgia-mikheil-saakashvili/

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/11/05/mikheil-saakashvili-georgia-hunger-strike-washington-golden-boy/

I hate posts that run too long.  I'll close by saying its interesting that a Desantis person would be tied to this guy who appeared to be the darling of the Neo-cons. 

24 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I listened to the entire clip and he says he can't get comfortable with the "Rinoism of the Republican Party" but he can get comfortable with a who who murdered millions of people (Jews, Poles, Journalists, Gays, Communists, Political Dissenters, etc.) by shoving them into concentration camps and gas chambers.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I listened to the entire clip and he says he can't get comfortable with the "Rinoism of the Republican Party" but he can get comfortable with a who who murdered millions of people (Jews, Poles, Journalists, Gays, Communists, Political Dissenters, etc.) by shoving them into concentration camps and gas chambers.

Sometimes I feel like I’ve traveled to an alternate universe.  Can this possibly be reality ?  How in God’s name can this be the new normal?

3 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Sometimes I feel like I’ve traveled to an alternate universe.  Can this possibly be reality ?  How in God’s name can this be the new normal?

This Paladino guy, who is running to represent the Congressional District that Buffalo resides in shared Facebook posts that said both the Buffalo supermarket and Uvalde school shootings were false flag events.

27 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Read his Wikipedia page to see the remarks that he made about the Obamas in 2017.

He could win...he has a lot of name recognition in Buffalo, most of it undeserved.  A popular car dealer named Paladino flooded the airwaves with ads in the 1970's.

29 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Read his Wikipedia page to see the remarks that he made about the Obamas in 2017.

He could win...he has a lot of name recognition in Buffalo, most of it undeserved.  A popular car dealer named Paladino flooded the airwaves with ads in the 1970's.

Yikes. He would fit right in with today’s GOP: “Paladino said he’d like President Barack Obama to die from mad cow disease and called first lady Michelle Obama a man who should go live with gorillas.”

Check out this thesis from JVL of the Bulwark in his daily email...

Provocative 

1. Mike Pence: Hero

I wrote a piece for the Atlantic and I’m not going to beg for compliments, but I feel like one line isn’t being properly appreciated by their readers:

About one-fifth of Republican voters know that Joe Biden won a sacred landslide victory over Trump in 2020.

Tim and Amanda are not persuaded by my argument that Pelosi and Schumer ought to name a building after Pence and then force Republicans to vote on resolutions praising him for his actions on January 6. But I am serious. How many House Republicans do you think would vote in favor of such a resolution? Whatever number you suggest, I’ll take the under.

And it would be nice to have such a vote as a live issue that Republican Senate candidates to have to answer for. Ask Herschel Walker and the Thiel puppets if they think Mike Pence did the right thing on January 6. Make them explain why not.

As Amanda likes to say: Prosecute the damn case.

Mike Pence might be a hostile witness for the prosecution, but he’s a useful one. Democrats shouldn’t let him go to waste.

They should hug Mike Pence—no matter how much he tries to wriggle out of their embrace—and use him to wedge the small number of gettable swing voters away from MAGA candidates.

Now go ahead and flame me in the comments. I’m ready.

7 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'm not sure he deserves hero status. If he testifies before the committee I'd rank him akin to John Dean.

I will agree with this comment written in today's JVL Bullwerk column 

And it would be nice to have such a vote as a live issue that Republican Senate candidates to have to answer for. Ask Herschel Walker and the Thiel puppets if they think Mike Pence did the right thing on January 6. Make them explain why not.

As Amanda likes to say: Prosecute the damn case.

Mike Pence might be a hostile witness for the prosecution, but he’s a useful one. Democrats shouldn’t let him go to waste.

They should hug Mike Pence—no matter how much he tries to wriggle out of their embrace—and use him to wedge the small number of gettable swing voters away from MAGA candidates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1