Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

If Utah elects Evan McMullin that will be a dagger to a large portion of the idiocy.  It won't stop all the cancer of the last 6 years.  Mike Lee who once wanted to protest Trump at the 2016 RNC became the biggest shill for the Trump.

I don’t know, maybe not so “wow” …

27 minutes ago, romad1 said:

interesting thread

I'm not sure there's anything big there.  Milley wanted someone to tell him to do it and in his opinion Pence was good enough at that very moment.  It was an emergency.  Consequences and chain of command be damned.   

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'm not sure there's anything big there.  Milley wanted someone to tell him to do it and in his opinion Pence was good enough at that very moment.  It was an emergency.  Consequences and chain of command be damned.   

Trump would not do it.  I have seen the document which i believe will come out in the next few days of hearings, that they purposefully wanted NG and other orgs not armed and not ready to respond to his mob. 

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

That strikes me as very, very big.

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Trump would not do it.  I have seen the document which i believe will come out in the next few days of hearings, that they purposefully wanted NG and other orgs not armed and not ready to respond to his mob. 

Which may be exactly why that little shitbird congresscritter from Texas said last night that Democrats planned for this to happen by not, I guess, preparing properly based on pre-insurrection intelligence. Maybe shitbird was getting out in front of the document you saw.

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

interesting thread

It's not that he was unavailable, it was that he was looking at what was happening at the Capital as an opportunity to remain president.  He didn't want to stop what he thought would allow him to remain in power.  Now let's just hope the 1/6 commission has built a strong enough case that Garland runs with it.

A lot of people, esspecialy among Democrats and progressives, think Merrick Garland has not done enough to hold Trump and his cronies accountable. They see a lack of inaction and a lack of prosecutorial power being wielded against the former President. Do these hearing finally prod Merrick Garland's DOJ into taking prosecutorial action against Trump himself? Do you think Garland's DOJ has been working on a case and taking action against Trump all along regardless of what comes out of these hearings?

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

I believe the DOJ is doing things but Garland's not going to announce that at a press conference.

I'm in the believe it when I see it camp at this point. We've had a lot of false hope thinking that at least some of what Trump and his family did would be held to account and thus far he has not been. Misreporting tax information, tax evasion, misrepresenting and inflating/deflating assets, Jared's dealings with the Saudis, etc. I could be way off base (and hope I am) but I think similar to Nixon, they don't want to set a political precedent of prosecuting a President. That's a big mistake IMO if it is indeed true, because it sets a lawless precedent.

I'm not sure whether they're doing somethign or not.  I agree w/ Oblong that they wouldn't say much about it.  I also think that it seems like it really could take a long time.  If they're going to indict Trump over something that case needs to be really really tight and those things always take way longer than lay people think it should.

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm in the believe it when I see it camp at this point. We've had a lot of false hope thinking that at least some of what Trump and his family did would be held to account and thus far he has not been. Misreporting tax information, tax evasion, misrepresenting and inflating/deflating assets, Jared's dealings with the Saudis, etc. I could be way off base (and hope I am) but I think similar to Nixon, they don't want to set a political precedent of prosecuting a President. That's a big mistake IMO if it is indeed true, because it sets a lawless precedent.

I agree with you - I think we have experience with what happens when lawless president isn't held accountable.

But if the lawless president is held accountable..... I'm not saying this b/c I think he shouldn't be held accountable but I think there could be a lot of violence if that happens and so you can't fuck around and find out with it