Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

It's surprisingly not controversial here, although Juneteenth has been observed for a while here.

Yeah I learned that at work in a diversity meeting. Most people, even black employees, didn’t know about it until somewhat recently. But some employees in TX said they grew up with it being a thing that was celebrated. 

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

Yeah I learned that at work in a diversity meeting. Most people, even black employees, didn’t know about it until somewhat recently. But some employees in TX said they grew up with it being a thing that was celebrated. 

It is more wrapped up in the particular history of Tx.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Anyone else experience the rolling of the eyes or groaning from acquantences or family members over Juneteenth?

I started volunteering recently at the Colonial Williamsburg visitors center. Yesterday was a free day, no tickets needed to tour most of the buildings and trades. I mentioned it to my co-worker who has been there a couple decades. Got the eye roll.

She said Fathers Day was more important. 

Edited by CMRivdogs

5 minutes ago, romad1 said:

That is a great ad

The thing that’s so great is that it seeks to denormalize all the borderline (and outright) criminal rhetoric that has become more common in Republican political circles.

I mean, he’s right: how is calling for the murder of people who do not demonstrate sufficient purity of his views not constitute a crime? It’s simply a different point of view that he is threatening with murder.

And he’s not “just joking”, if that’s gonna be his defense after getting called on it. What Greiten’s saying should be considered criminal incitement and prosecuted as such. 

Edited by chasfh

10 minutes ago, romad1 said:

That is a great ad

The other thing about this ad is that he gets to borrow interest by highlighting that he was a Marine, which gives him additional gravitas with some, but really, except for that part necessarily, you could hand this script to any other Democratic candidate and it would still work.

Everywhere this applies, ads need to highlight this kind of crazy in their opponents.  And there is no shortage of states and districts in America now where this applies.

Right wingers already scare the shit out of their base to get them to the polls, and it works. Maybe it’s time that Democrats need to scare the shit out of their base, too. 

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

The other thing about this ad is that he gets to borrow interest by highlighting that he was a Marine, which gives him additional gravitas with some, but really, except for that part necessarily, you could hand this script to any other Democratic candidate and it would still work.

Everywhere this applies, ads need to highlight this kind of crazy in their opponents.  And there is no shortage of states and districts in America now where this applies.

Right wingers already scare the shit out of their base to get them to the polls, and it works. Maybe it’s time that Democrats need to scare the shit out of their base, too. 

Greiten was a Navy Seal, so it would take a Marine to criticize him and be taken seriously by many people.  

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Greiten was a Navy Seal, so it would take a Marine to criticize him and be taken seriously by many people.  

On any level, for anything, even things not related to the military?

I don’t know. Maybe. Americans are funny about that.

I wonder if the term “rat” is going to make a reappearance in all this? Remember that from a couple years ago? I can’t quite pick out what the circumstances were from the firehose of my Trump memories, but someone who was at least somewhat on the inside was singing about some unethical and/or potentially criminal thing that was going on within the administration and, for a couple days anyway, that someone was referred to as a “rat”. Even londsey Graham was on the pundit shows tossing accusations of “rat” around.

Of course, if they do start slinging the word “rat” around to describe some of the people testifying, that’s basically an admission of guilt right there.

Edited by chasfh

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

On any level, for anything, even things not related to the military?

I don’t know. Maybe. Americans are funny about that.

Ultimately, it depends if it's their guy or not.  if their guy was in the military, then it's a big deal.  If it's the other team, then they'll find a way to knock down his service.  

Just now, Tiger337 said:

Ultimately, it depends if it's their guy or not.  if their guy was in the military, then it's a big deal.  If it's the other team, then they'll find a way to knock down his service.  

Meaning the Republicans? Yup. Totally. Honor for your service is conditional on your current state of loyalty.

Texas GOP:  There is the door if you want to vote to leave the US.   We'll be coming for NASA, Fort Hood, Fort Bliss, all the Navy and Air Force bases, all the federal contracts for the defense industries.  Good luck being Mexico with more white people. 

30 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I wonder if the term “rat” is going to make a reappearance in all this? Remember that from a couple years ago? I can’t quite pick out what the circumstances were from the firehose of my Trump memories, but someone who was at least somewhat on the inside was singing about some unethical and/or potentially criminal thing that was going on within the administration and, for a couple days anyway, that someone was referred to as a “rat”. Even londsey Graham was on the pundit shows tossing accusations of “rat” around.

Of course, if they do start slinging the word “rat” around to describe some of the people testifying, that’s basically an admission of guilt right there.

Michael Cohen

Right, it was about Michael Cohen being a “rat”.

When Cohen told us what was going on inside, everyone inside started referring to him as a “rat”, which really means Cohen was telling the truth, because otherwise they’d’ve been calling him a liar.

A source familiar with the project told Playbook on Monday night that Holder began filming on the campaign trail in September 2020 for a project on Trump’s reelection campaign. Over the course of several months, Holder had substantial access to Trump, Trump’s adult children and VP MIKE PENCE, both in the White House and on the campaign trail.

According to the subpoena, which was obtained exclusively by Playbook, the committee wants three main things from Holder:

(1) Raw footage from Jan. 6.

(2) Raw footage of interviews from September 2020 to present with Trump, Pence, DONALD TRUMP JR., IVANKA TRUMP, ERIC TRUMP and JARED KUSHNER.

(3) Raw footage “pertaining to discussions of election fraud or election integrity surrounding the November 2020 presidential election.”

Holder is expected to fully cooperate with the committee in an interview scheduled for Thursday. 

Seems like a big deal

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1