Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

That’s the entire Trump presidency and his supporters.  It’s “I saw it on the internet” guy.  Typically someone over the age of 70 who is normal in most other aspects of life or a batshit crazy person under 50 who hasn’t left his parents basement since Bill Clinton was president. 

as I listen to the testimony of these guys mobilizing DOJ to oppose Trump, I'm struck that this is *exactly* what Robert Bork did not do to defend the DOJ from Nixon. Or for that matter Richardson and Ruckelshaus didn't attempt to do it either before they got canned either.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

as I listen to the testimony of these guys mobilizing DOJ to oppose Trump, I'm struck that this is *exactly* what Robert Bork did not do to defend the DOJ from Nixon. Or for that matter Richardson and Ruckelshaus didn't attempt to do it either before they got canned either.

It would have been an absolute shit show if they (the administration) didn't back down..... DOJ would have imploded.

Edited by mtutiger

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What strikes me is that the acting DOJ threatened to resign if Trump went through with his plan and Trump backed down. Republicans aren't helpless victims of Trump who need to cater to Trump. They could have stopped him if they had to desire to. 

They could have invoked the 25th Amendment.

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What strikes me is that the acting DOJ threatened to resign if Trump went through with his plan and Trump backed down. Republicans aren't helpless victims of Trump who need to cater to Trump. They could have stopped him if they had to desire to. 

Not just the acting DOJ, but basically all the leadership threatened to resign en masses.

Its a good point... it's a giant collective action problem and there could be power in numbers. But GOP politicians are a bunch of beta wimps.

Edited by mtutiger

53 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

TBF, sometimes the guy in front of the tank stops the tank, sometimes he just gets run over. It's heroic when it works, but it doesn't always. If it did it wouldn't be heroic to try.

Rosen and Donoghue did have a number of advantages - they had the support of their institution, they didn't personally have much on the line - they were defending their Department, not themselves, they were past Trump having any personal leverage over them. But what stands out to me is that not only did they do the right thing themselves, but actually mobilized opposition to fight back. The scramble to mobilize the upper levels of DOJ in support was just as important as the the act of saying no to Trump.