Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

how's the old line go? All happy families look alike, every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.....

Tolstoy knew a thing or two.   According to the essays George Orwell wrote about Tolstoy he was a crank (as was Orwell) in his own weird ways but he had some admirable traits as well.

https://bigthink.com/high-culture/tolstoy-shakespeare/#:~:text=George Orwell’s response to Tolstoy Shakespeare%2C having died,compelling argument for why we should read Shakespeare.

Edited by romad1

11 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't know if I would use the word interesting.

I think I would use the word "grotesque".

As in, there is one grotesque person in this race, who never should have been there.

And look at how grotesque the GOP has become to put up and "champion" grotesque candidates like him. And he's not the only one.

F'ing grotesque. Him... and the GQP.

Had a guy come into the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor’s Center this morning saying he wanted to see America the way it used to be because they were tearing down all the statues in Louisiana.

I made a point of telling him about the American Indian Nation Builders and pointing out programs about people like Robert Carter III (who wrote on his will that his slaves were to be freed). Along with the First Baptist Church archeological site.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Had a guy come into the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor’s Center this morning saying he wanted to see America the way it used to be because they were tearing down all the statues in Louisiana.

I made a point of telling him about the American Indian Nation Builders and pointing out programs about people like Robert Carter III (who wrote on his will that his slaves were to be freed). Along with the First Baptist Church archeological site.

“That still ain’t the history I’m looking for. I’m taking American history. Not woke history”

4 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

History is full of good lessons and bad lessons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pfife said:

so the GOP doing a coordinated Happy Columbus Day troll today it seems?  

I noticed lots of that too. The irony is of course that Columbus never even set foot in the territorial United States or North America. He certainly didn't discover it either, the Vikings were the first Europeans to sail the Atlantic and come here.

10 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I noticed lots of that too. The irony is of course that Columbus never even set foot in the territorial United States or North America. He certainly didn't discover it either, the Vikings were the first Europeans to sail the Atlantic and come here.

Being a sorry Lions fan I am am glad we don’t have to say “Happy Vikings Day”.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think he visited Puerto Rico, but your point stands.  So often when we look at historical figures, we no longer look at them with rose colored glasses, but grade them based on how they would be viewed today.  With Columbus, even in his own time his brutality was such an issue that he found himself in trouble.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

I never got into Columbus just because I figured it would have eventually happened at some point.

A lot of the Columbus appreciation was designed to regard and celebrate the achievements of Italian Americans.  Its sad they had such a lousy avatar.  Most great figures of history have some baggage.