Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I mean, Republicans always vote against their interests. West Virginia is one of the poorest states in the country with no billionaires but they continue to vote against funding for their state in favor of billionaires. 

but that's more generalized.  youre talking about a vote for a party who you dont think represents their interests.

if there was a specific ballot measure that said "vote to increase taxes on billionaires and give it to decendants of coal miners" it would likely pass easily in west virginia.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah, looking into it apparently. Maybe when they look into it and find out they are broke they will drop it. Either way, it's new fodder for Republicans in 2022. 

Reparations is such a great issue for the GOP. I've seen some black political writers debate whether the whole white guilt strategy is the best politics or not on relative grounds , but the real problem is that is misses the larger point of historical reality in America that the forebearers of *most* of the white population came here after 1865 and many from horrible oppressive places themselves. No-one can tell those white American's that somehow they should carry the burden for the long arc of US history. Whether it's a fair argument that all emigrated whites received some kind of generalized benefit from the legacy of white privilege or not, most of the US white population is not going to accept a direct individual (individual because it comes via direct taxation) demand like reparations. The moral calculus is too indirect - it's just not going to happen. Black political leadership errs if they generalize that most whites will accept themselves as heirs of the O'Haras.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Reparations is such a great issue for the GOP. I've seen some black political writer debate whether the whole white guilt strategy is the best politics or not on relative grounds , but the real problem is that is misses the larger point of historical reality in America that the forebearers of *most* of the white population came here after 1865 and many from horrible oppressive places themselves. No-one can tell those white American's that somehow they should carry the burden for the long arc of US history. Whether it's a fair argument that all emigrated whites received some kind of generalized benefit from the legacy of white privilege or not, most of the US white population is not going to accept a direct individual (individual because it comes via direct taxation) demand like reparations. The moral calculus is too indirect - it's just not going to happen.

Yup. Any realistic chance for reparations were killed by John Wilkes Booth 

I look at the Republicans as a group that wants to help people that are willing to get jobs and help themselves.  Democrats want to help people that want to sit on the couch.  Republicans are no more for the rich than the dems are and the rich folks are paying both of them off.

One big difference is that dems want to tax business a lot and republicans don't.  Tax breaks for business is a necessary evil.  If they don't get tax breaks they will go where they can get lower taxes. That could be another city, another state or another country and the jobs with them.  Democrats haven't figured that out.  

On 11/3/2021 at 8:48 AM, CMRivdogs said:

I for one am looking forward to my nieces and nephews learning that slaves loved their masters and spent their spare time singing and dancing. Just like they taught us in the 50s and 60s. And now poor 17 year olds in advanced studies classes won’t be triggered by stories about slave mothers killing their children so they don’t want them to go through the horrors she was suffering

I'm pretty well-read about the African peoples experience in America and I have never heard about enslaved women killing their own children. That's both horrible and fascinating. Why would they do so? Was to just to keep them from growing up slaves, IOW, "for their own good"? That seems pretty drastic. I wonder how much of the reason is that it was massa baby. That would make a lot more sense. Or was there some West African cultural thing governing this somehow? This is all new to me so I need to find out more about this.

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm pretty well-read about the African peoples experience in America and I have never heard about enslaved women killing their own children. That's both horrible and fascinating. Why would they do so? Was to just to keep them from growing up slaves, IOW, "for their own good"? That seems pretty drastic. I wonder how much of the reason is that it was massa baby. That would make a lot more sense. Or was there some West African cultural thing governing this somehow? This is all new to me so I need to find out more about this.

In the Morrison novel it was so that her offspring did not experience slavery. It was a novel. I would guess it probably happened a few times in real life, especially if the offspring was a child produced by rape.

TBH I haven’t read the novel. It was just one of the complaints I heard from the mother of the then 17 year old in her advertisement for Youngkin.

Edited by CMRivdogs

6 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

In the Morrison novel it was so that her offspring did not experience slavery. It was a novel. I would guess it probably happened a few times in real life, especially if the offspring was a child produced by rape.

TBH I haven’t read the novel. It was just one of the complaints I heard from the mother of the then 17 year old in her advertisement for Youngkin.

It does sound more to me like artistic license than historical reality, but a topline googling reveals that there were instances of enslaved women killing their offspring, mainly in the Caribbean that I've seen, where slavery was particularly brutal, but some in the US as well. We're talking about tens of millions of people across a quarter of a millennium, so it certainly had to have happened at some point. Apparently, it was fairly common for white planters to accuse enslaved women of this. That doesn't reveal to me how historically accurate the claim is, but I'm willing to bet it happened often enough to qualify as "phenomenon".

Edited by chasfh

So Q-Tards gathered at Dealey Plaza, hundreds of them, because JFK Jr. was going to return and that would mean Trump is President again.       Andy Kaufman HAS to be behind this. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/teakvetenadze/2021/11/02/qanon-believers-gather-in-dallas-awaiting-return-of-long-dead-jfk-jr/?sh=49e21329668f

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So Q-Tards gathered at Dealey Plaza, hundreds of them, because JFK Jr. was going to return and that would mean Trump is President again.       Andy Kaufman HAS to be behind this. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/teakvetenadze/2021/11/02/qanon-believers-gather-in-dallas-awaiting-return-of-long-dead-jfk-jr/?sh=49e21329668f

Ron Watkins has to be laughing every time people fall for this shit. 

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

How about Q-Turds?  

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Apologies to Mr. Hanky. 

I mean, seriously, you could be bigger than using “-tard” to describe someone or some group.  Or you can go ahead and use the epithet and sound like the former president, your choice.

• Like 1