Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

5 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Point taken, red counties only have dumb hillbilly hicks in them.  Probably want women in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant, amirite?

Not sure why you feel that way about red counties... kinda arrogant and elitist if you ask me.

Edited by mtutiger

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Not sure why you feel that way about red counties... kinda arrogant and elitist if you ask me.

Absolutely agree...

18 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Frivolous. Nah, let’s call it what it is. Fucking evil bullying bullshit.

17 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Once again the folks who screamed freedom at the top of their lungs over mask mandates now wanting to take away the freedom to vaccinate. Showing their true colors, it's not about freedom but control. 

15 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Deep inside someone's rectum.

15 hours ago, oblong said:

Their brains can’t process too many words so things get shortened. See also:  Keystone pipelines.  

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

Childhood immunizations, absolutely. Gotta make sure children don’t become enslaved. Probably mammograms and pap smears because they involve lady parts, and perhaps prostate exams because it involves a finger up the butt. Probably not the other things.

5 hours ago, oblong said:

Don't need mammograms and pap smears because they aren't for men.  Women went without them for millions of years.  Just pray on it and god's will prevails. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Getting vaccines is ignoring God.  

3 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Point taken, red counties only have dumb hillbilly hicks in them.  Probably want women in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant, amirite?

Unfortunately, the right wing whacko population turned out to be bigger than I Imagined.  I used to view the right as mostly conservative wealthy capitalists and small businessmen who blamed blamed all societies ills on poor, lazy people.  They were sometimes mean but not crazy.  The size of the proportion of crazies willing to go along with every conspiracy theory has  been disconcerting.    

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

Absolutely agree...

Your point being, what, exactly?

I dont cosign on some of the other opinions expressed in the thread by others, but I also think, given the political bent of Elko, it's kinda BS to assign blame to left-wingers for an item that showed up on the City Council agenda there.

Just dealing in the facts, it's not a judgment on values, it's that the reality is the "both sides" framing logically doesn't work here.

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

Unfortunately, the right wing whacko population turned out to be bigger than I Imagined.  I used to view the right as mostly conservative wealthy capitalists and small businessmen who blamed blamed all societies ills on poor, lazy people.  They were sometimes mean but not crazy.  The size of the proportion of crazies willing to go along with every conspiracy theory has  been disconcerting.    

I'm not arguing against that, but this is one single person, who we don't even know if they are left or right.  You guys are assuming it as it fits a narrative.  He very well could be a right winger, but even than that makes this an anecdote at best.

The facts are a single person apparently has the right to make an absurd request and a very red county unanimously rejected it.  Yet you all spun it to prove just how crazy the right is.

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

My thing is that there are normal, sane Republicans out there. The fact that it was voted down at the city council kinda proves that right?

But the existence of normal, sane Republicans doesn't negate the ridiculousness that in 2022, someone would get it onto the agenda. Nor does it mean that it getting onto the agenda in a city located in a county that voted overwhelmingly for Trump is a part of a vast left-wing conspiracy either.

3 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I'm not arguing against that, but this is one single person, who we don't even know if they are left or right.  You guys are assuming it as it fits a narrative.  He very well could be a right winger, but even than that makes this an anecdote at best.

I'm sure if this happened in Washtenaw County, you'd feel just as reserved in your judgments. Correct?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm sure if this happened in Washtenaw County, you'd feel just as reserved in your judgments. Correct?

If they were just talking mRNA or chips in the vaccine, I'd assume it was probably some crazy MAGA from Dexter.  If it were chemicals/mercury, I would assume lefty.  I worked with a lot of anti-vax folks in Ann Arbor for years and getting a vaccine was somewhat equivalent of getting 'marked by the beast'.  Oddly enough, most of them would drink the mRNA by the bottle daily if someone with a 'D' next to their name told them too.  They won't get the flu shot still though as they get all the protection they need from Kambucha.

What I hope I did, rather than just assuming and blasting/outraging at the other side, I'd take a moment to understand the full story. 

Think of any case where you hear racist words were painted on someone's property or a noose was found, I absolutely jump to the idea that the person that found it, did it for attention.  But instead of pointing out times that has happened and attaching this new event to that, I try not to get outraged and either try and find out the whole story or wait for the event to unfold.

41 minutes ago, pfife said:

He sure did take the bait and show his whole hypocrite ass

Oh boy, that gotcha moment certainly has me red faced.  You guys got me good.  MTUTigers used to many words and I just couldn't process the trap he was setting up for me.

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Oh boy, that gotcha moment certainly has me red faced.  You guys got me good.  MTUTigers used to many words and I just couldn't process the trap he was setting up for me.

the least you could do is not what you accuse everyone else of

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

If they were just talking mRNA or chips in the vaccine, I'd assume it was probably some crazy MAGA from Dexter.  If it were chemicals/mercury, I would assume lefty.  

I fail to see how these assumptions are any more or less accurate than qualifying the politics of a place like Elko, NV when seeing a news story such as the one that broke there.

We shall leave it at that, agree to disagree.

Edited by mtutiger

11 minutes ago, pfife said:

the least you could do is not what you accuse everyone else of

If you actually read what I wrote, I admitted I can suffer from some of the same type of biases as you folks do.  I even admitted with the "I would hope" portion of my response that I don't always respond in a good way either.  That is hypocritical and I have to own that, but I do actively try not to do that.  

But you all took an issue which actually goes against the narrative that all GOP is crazy as a very red county unanimously voted against an action from a lone weirdo and still managed to turn that into more proof that the GOP is crazy.  In fact those council members are evil!  Luckily the agenda item had to many words on it and it completely confused them and they likely voted it down in error, but next time....<insert scary da dah daaaaa>!

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/elko-county-health-board-votes-against-ban-on-covid-19-and-flu-vaccines

The health board rejected the proposal despite support from a majority of community members who testified during public comment.

Found this interesting.... Sounds to me like the measure is probably more reflective of the beliefs of a majority of Elko County citizens than some are giving credit for. 

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I fail to see how these assumptions are any more or less accurate than qualifying the politics of a place like Elko, NV when seeing a news story such as the one that broke there.

We shall leave it at that

The assumption was never my problem.  I merely pointed to the fact that until a few years ago, there was a subset from one political party that seemed to own that way of thinking.  Today, there are subsets in both parties that do.  Add in the fact it's a heavily red county, putting money on it being a MAGA type probably is the safe bet, i'll give you that.

I simply inserted some context to the boards universal assumption indicating even that could possibly be wrong.  But even if you're not, you have a lone MAGA whacko who couldn't get a single person, which we all appear to be assuming without any argument are mostly GOP as well, to support him.  Some who even were quoted about having negative views of the Covid vaccine and based on their responses, never actually gave it any merit. 

Still, somehow, most of this board used it to further feed and strengthen your believes of just how crazy the GOP is.  There is enough legitimate crap they do to show that, I guess I don't know why most need to bend the narrative on everything.

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/elko-county-health-board-votes-against-ban-on-covid-19-and-flu-vaccines

Found this interesting.... Sounds to me like the measure is probably more reflective of the beliefs of a majority of Elko County citizens than some are giving credit for. 

Have you ever watched a local board meeting?  You know how many people got cancer and migraines in Warren once they switched to smart (wireless) water meters?  If you watched the meetings you'd know that number had to be around 90%, give or take 10%

Just now, ewsieg said:

Have you ever watched a local board meeting?  You know how many people got cancer and migraines in Warren once they switched to smart (wireless) water meters?  If you watched the meetings you'd know that number had to be around 90%, give or take 10%

I have... have even been involved in a couple of public meetings in my career. In a county like Elko County, with such a large spread between the two parties and where out-party types are "go along, get along" out of necessity, there is close to zero doubt in my mind that a board meeting is probably 90+% GOP voters.

Which kinda brings us full circle... I understand your point, but the fact that it even made it onto the agenda is alarming, and the context, where it happened, matters if we are being honest about it. It doesn't mean there aren't cooler heads among the population, but it suggests that the more extreme elements of GOP support in this heavily GOP county would have liked to see this item come to pass.

Voting in Elko County runs about 75-25 R-D

I covered Board of Supervisors/City Council, School Board Meetings way back when both parties were not completely crazy. The vast majority of the people who show up and speak are partisan one way or the other. And you could usually count on the same rabble rousers, for lack of a better term, to show up everytime.

https://silverstateelection.nv.gov/county-results/elko.shtml

https://www.nvsos.gov/SOSelectionPages/results/2020StateWideGeneral/Elko.aspx

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

If you actually read what I wrote, I admitted I can suffer from some of the same type of biases as you folks do.  I even admitted with the "I would hope" portion of my response that I don't always respond in a good way either.  That is hypocritical and I have to own that, but I do actively try not to do that.  

But you all took an issue which actually goes against the narrative that all GOP is crazy as a very red county unanimously voted against an action from a lone weirdo and still managed to turn that into more proof that the GOP is crazy.  In fact those council members are evil!  Luckily the agenda item had to many words on it and it completely confused them and they likely voted it down in error, but next time....<insert scary da dah daaaaa>!

you're making up stuff about me again.  

18 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Voting in Elko County runs about 75-25 R-D

I covered Board of Supervisors/City Council, School Board Meetings way back when both parties were not completely crazy. The vast majority of the people who show up and speak are partisan one way or the other. And you could usually count on the same rabble rousers, for lack of a better term, to show up everytime.

https://silverstateelection.nv.gov/county-results/elko.shtml

https://www.nvsos.gov/SOSelectionPages/results/2020StateWideGeneral/Elko.aspx

Cosign, and would just add that the crowds tend not to swim against the tide at these meetings.

Even aside from council meetings, having family who live in a nearby county that gave Trump over 75% of the vote in '16 and '20 who dont agree with the prevailing view, there is a tendency to just avoid politics altogether. At the end of the day, you have to get along with your neighbors. And swimming against the tide tends to hinder that effort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

https://www.elkocountynv.net/meetings/board_of_commissioners/index.php

They have the agenda and video of the meeting online.  This is a health board meeting.  Based on what they said in it, in the last county board meeting someone requested to have this on the agenda and they agreed to put it on the health agenda.  I'm not sure if that signals a desire to hopefully find a way to be the evil GQP they are or just normal operating procedure.

First guy gets up to discuss why he requested it.  He's actually against 12 vaccines in total as they all share some of the same ingredients such as toxic metals and venoms.  He has a background in alternative medicine.  I mean, if we're making assumptions, let's just say this is the shtick I'd hear back in my days in Ann Arbor back when liberal celebrities loved Trump.

The board thanked him for his time, then they all agreed not to take any action on his request.  Which I guess if they even said they would take action, I don't think that necessarily even means they are saying yes, just that they would pursue the request further.  I wouldn't be surprised if that would mean the county board and county law team would need to review, etc.

Next agenda item is requesting the county stop advertising for Covid and Flu shots.

1st person up asks if the county mandates vaccines, they do not.  She's satisfied.

Next person says the county should ban the vaccines (a little late to stand up apparently)

Next person says vaccines are good and should be supported, willing to discuss privately with anyone that wants to.

Next person (Here is your MAGA that everyone expected the entire county to be) gets up and is appreciative of Evon Musk (spelled correctly based on how she said it) for exposing 'fauci ouchi'.

Next person gets up and talks about what she saw at the local hospital she works at and says they should not ban it.

No one else, the board all agrees not to take action.

So for your counts, 3 asking for ban, 2 asking for no ban, and 1 that apparently just wanted to know if the county mandates the vaccine.   For the written in comments and e-comments, 3 written in comments that do not support it.  1 from a Wendy with a Las Vegas phone number that does support a ban.  For the e-comments, 5 comments and all do not support it.

Final counts on local comments, not just those that spoke at the meeting (assuming they are all local)

4 for the ban

10 against the ban

71%, now add in the 7 members of the board (at least 5 elected as it says on the website it consists of 5 county board members, a health officer, and the sheriff) and you're over 80% of the community is against this ban.  

6 hours ago, ewsieg said:

The facts are a single person apparently has the right to make an absurd request and a very red county unanimously rejected it.  Yet you all spun it to prove just how crazy the right is.

To be clear, I didn't spin it at all.  I was not part of the conversation. 

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

To be clear, I didn't spin it at all.  I was not part of the conversation. 

Understood.  And please note I'm not big on absolutes.  Even if I say 'you all' I don't generally mean everyone.  I need to get better at correcting that.