Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

7 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Point taken, red counties only have dumb hillbilly hicks in them.  Probably want women in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant, amirite?

7 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Not sure why you feel that way about red counties... kinda arrogant and elitist if you ask me.

To the above; ewsieg is spot on.

I don't know how mtutiger can come to that conclusion after reading the board since born here or the old site. Many have spent countless posts making fun of the dumb hillbilly hicks from places like Cornhole, where I come from. We just giggle - just so you know.

I go to a shithole town bar where the guy across from me is wearing a "Let's go Brandon" hat, sitting beside his black girlfriend - who is sitting beside a pink haired gay girl who is sitting beside a couple of prominent local business owners - sitting beside the owner of the bar.  Going the other way from the hat guy, there is a big black guy who works in a local factory and has a DJ service at night, then a couple gay guys in their late 60s who always bring in some kind of food treat, then a few retired guys, a couple of Latino's who work construction, students from around the world that go to our two local colleges, and some who just got off at the local factory that live paycheck to paycheck. A truly melting pot of Americana.

We all get along and have a ball. How the fuck does that happen?

This world has went completely insane.  Don't be one of them.

Edited by Screwball

23 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

To be clear, I didn't spin it at all.  I was not part of the conversation. 

You said "you all" in a post to me that included a characterization that did not apply to me, which was obvious because in your string of "gotcha" quotes you don't have one from me.    

I'd say fiction is your strong suit, but you're not very strong at it.  

15 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Understood.  And please note I'm not big on absolutes.  Even if I say 'you all' I don't generally mean everyone.  I need to get better at correcting that.

Oh look, other people don't appreciate your "imprecise language" either.  Whodathunkit

8 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I don't know how mtutiger can come to that conclusion after reading the board since born here or the old site. Many have spent countless posts making fun of the dumb hillbilly hicks from places like Cornhole, where I come from. We just giggle - just so you know.

I go to a shithole town bar where the guy across from me is wearing a "Let's go Brandon" hat, sitting beside his black girlfriend - who is sitting beside a pink haired gay girl who is sitting beside a couple of prominent local business owners - sitting beside the owner of the bar.  Going the other way from the hat guy, there is a big black guy who works in a local factory and has a DJ service at night, then a couple gay guys in their late 60s who always bring in some kind of food treat, then a few retired guys, a couple of Latino's who work construction, students from around the world that go to our two local colleges, and some who just got off at the local factory that live paycheck to paycheck. A truly melting pot of Americana.

This world has went completely insane.  Don't be one of them.

Too bad 3 posts later Ewsieg trashed my county, which is also melting pot as f.  Oh well.... 

Edited by pfife

28 minutes ago, pfife said:

Too bad 3 posts later Ewsieg trashed my county, which is also melting pot as f.  Oh well.... 

You post a story in which it's clear MOST (not all) on this site read the headline and went full steam ahead on the republicans are crazy narrative.  I point out the actual facts of the issue in which I also questioned one assumption that MOST of you had (MAGA crazy started it) and we have a page on how the county is X percent red, the odds are this, blah blah blah.  I show 80% of that community is against it (assuming we judge on the basis that people that show up to those meetings are a fair representation of the community) and you play the technicality card by saying you were insulted by being included in the 'all of you'.  I'll give Lee the benefit of the doubt when he says he felt unjustly included, but you posted it.  Your job on this board is to feed the narrative you want fed back to you.  You would not have posted that if in hindsight you knew what is likely a left wing hippie tried to get the same MAGA folks you despise to join him and still couldn't get any support in a solidly red county.

Then you accuse me of trashing your (and my old) county because I said I knew left wing hippies that felt mother earth was the only good protection for their selves and their kids when I lived there?  I didn't say anything bad about them as they were great co-workers and friends.  The joke about Kambucha I still make to them to this day.  

Funny how you get so butt hurt over me mentioning a few great people from Washtenaw county in which the only point of mentioning them is that it didn't fit the narrative most of you (but apparently not you) were going for.

Yet when 45% of the country (and 25% of your county) is referred to as....

- But the GOP, "fucking evil bullying bullshit"
- Showing their true colors, it's not about freedom but control. 
- Deep inside someone's rectum.
- Their brains can’t process too many words so things get shortened.
- Childhood immunizations, absolutely. Gotta make sure children don’t become enslaved.
- Women went without them for millions of years.  Just pray on it and god's will prevails. 
- Getting vaccines is ignoring God.  

No problem rolling past those comments.  I take back my comments about you not reading what I post.  It's obvious I'm living rent free inside your head.  

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

Very cool... I grew up in the same kind of place and wouldn't trade the experience for the world. I'd even move back, frankly, if a world existed where I could have my job in that kinda place.

I just think, specific to the discussion about Elko, it can be a little more nuanced than characterizing the reality of the situation as "sneering at rednecks" or some ****. 

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Yet when 45% of the country (and 25% of your county) is referred to as....

- But the GOP, "fucking evil bullying bullshit"
- Showing their true colors, it's not about freedom but control. 
- Deep inside someone's rectum.
- Their brains can’t process too many words so things get shortened.
- Childhood immunizations, absolutely. Gotta make sure children don’t become enslaved.
- Women went without them for millions of years.  Just pray on it and god's will prevails. 
- Getting vaccines is ignoring God.  

No problem rolling past those comments.  I take back my comments about you not reading what I post.  It's obvious I'm living rent free inside your head.  

The other side of the coin is that there is plenty of the same bilge (both in Washington and on corners of the internet) aimed at blue counties and blue constituencies. Nothing makes me roll my eyes harder than that Yale educated blowhard, Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri, talk about how state school students from Middle America (like myself) are everything that's wrong with America. 

You literally go to a state school, get a STEM education and become a tax paying American, only to have pricks like him or Ted Cruz (Harvard) or Tom Cotton (also Harvard) talk about how terrible you are. No wonder the GOP struggles with younger college educated voters lol.

Nonetheless, that is no better, yet the same folks who (justifiably imo) don't appreciate stereotypes about red places? Sure as ****, they don't have any issues rolling past those comments either. 

I get it, I don't like the stereotypes either. But it'd be nice if the people who complained the loudest would recognize the symmetry and not just make it out to be the provenance of just one side.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

Yeah. I mean if you live in a blue county then you support cat litter boxes in schools right?

Even setting aside that whole culture war manufactroversy, punching down and saying nasty things about various big cities is common to the point of being just background noise. And by extension, just accepted in society.

Fox News, whose hosts often complain about elitism toward red areas, have absolutely no issues teeing off on and stereotyping various cities in this country. But, you know, that's different cuz reasons.

17 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Nonetheless, that is no better, yet the same folks who (justifiably imo) don't appreciate stereotypes about red places? Sure as ****, they don't have any issues rolling past those comments either. 

Absolutely true and I'll admit that at one point I was one of those people.  Even if I didn't agree with them I accepted the 'jab' back at the opposition.  Technically I still do that on Twitter, but I don't tweet at all, so I'm doing that to both sides.  In real life though, when I'm around left of center folks, I argue many of the same points I mention here, but when I'm around right of center folks, I'm usually pointing out many of the points I see from all of you (literally all of you).  

12 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Absolutely true and I'll admit that at one point I was one of those people.  Even if I didn't agree with them I accepted the 'jab' back at the opposition.  Technically I still do that on Twitter, but I don't tweet at all, so I'm doing that to both sides.  In real life though, when I'm around left of center folks, I argue many of the same points I mention here, but when I'm around right of center folks, I'm usually pointing out many of the points I see from all of you (literally all of you).  

I think you are fair here, it's not gone unnoticed. 

I know I used to be worse as well, but I've spent enough time in both red and blue America over the course of my life to conclude that folks in both groups don't understand each other or their wants/desires well at all. Which is understandable enough, most people are working for a paycheck and are most familiar with what's in front of them in their daily lives. That crosses the political spectrum - people are just trying to get by, and we should better understand that.

What is discouraging is that there is really little appetite to even try to understand how different people live outside of what is familiar in one's day to day life. We just project our own beliefs onto people who live different daily realities and then just stereotype them. And then we act shocked that we are bitterly divided and little trust  exists in society.

We'd all do better, not just on this board but in society as a whole, not to just assume the absolute worst in people who don't think or believe as one does. Or live in places that are different than what one is accustomed to. But unfortunately, with our current set up, that seems unlikely to happen any time soon.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I know I used to be worse as well, but I've spent enough time in both red and blue America over the course of my life to conclude that folks in both groups don't understand each other or their wants/desires well at all.

Only argument I'd give with this is something that I feel like you already understand a bit with some of your comments after the quoted portion above.  It's that both groups do understand each other, it's just that they don't realize that they do.  

https://www.historyperceptiongap.us/

When republicans were asked how many democrats would agree with this statement, they said only 45%

"George Washington and Abraham Lincoln should be admired for their roles in American History."  

92% of democrats agreed with that statement.

When democrats were asked how many republicans would agree with this statement, they said only 35%

"Americans have a responsibility to learn from our past and fix our mistakes."

93% of republicans agreed with that statement.

Pink Floyd is celebrating the 50th anniversary of The Dark Side of the Moon with a new box set.  Their facebook page had a banner based on the album cover.

Homophobes are upset about it.  Because it.... because it has...... because it has a...... rainbow on it.  Yes.

https://loudwire.com/people-mad-pink-floyd-new-dark-side-of-the-moon-anniversary-logo-rainbow/?fbclid=IwAR2_c0rdtSQz50E3bC4X1Ik1PeFv4cSH_t_yBWuBXY3zbXnAzosMV005NS4

1 minute ago, oblong said:

Pink Floyd is celebrating the 50th anniversary of The Dark Side of the Moon with a new box set.  Their facebook page had a banner based on the album cover.

Homophobes are upset about it.  Because it.... because it has...... because it has a...... rainbow on it.  Yes.

https://loudwire.com/people-mad-pink-floyd-new-dark-side-of-the-moon-anniversary-logo-rainbow/?fbclid=IwAR2_c0rdtSQz50E3bC4X1Ik1PeFv4cSH_t_yBWuBXY3zbXnAzosMV005NS4

And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

20 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Very cool... I grew up in the same kind of place and wouldn't trade the experience for the world. I'd even move back, frankly, if a world existed where I could have my job in that kinda place.

I just think, specific to the discussion about Elko, it can be a little more nuanced than characterizing the reality of the situation as "sneering at rednecks" or some ****. 

I have no idea what this Elko stuff is all about, and I don't care.

To the first part - people need to get into people. We really need to find a way to get along. We might even find out we have much more in common than hating each other.

2 hours ago, Screwball said:

I have no idea what this Elko stuff is all about, and I don't care.

To the first part - people need to get into people. We really need to find a way to get along. We might even find out we have much more in common than hating each other.

I find that I like most individuals.  It's when individuals get together as groups that they can become a problem.

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, oblong said:

Got to keep the loonies on the path.

• Like 1

It’s the only way they can win in the end: rig the election to win and then mobilize the military, various police forces, and/or right-wing militias to subjugate the majority of the population. Because there is no way they can win a free and fair election.

And once they accuse the Democrats of doing the exact same thing, that’s when we will know for sure they are making their move. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It’s the only way they can win in the end: rig the election to win and then mobilize the military, various police forces, and/or right-wing militias to subjugate the majority of the population. Because there is no way they can win a free and fair election.

And once they accuse the Democrats of doing the exact same thing, that’s when we will know for sure they are making their move. 

concur