Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

12 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I saw a report stating we were able jam any additional intelligence.  I’m not going to completely buy that, but I’m not going to write that off either.  I’d like to think we could/should have taken care of it before it got over land if that’s the real reason why it wasn’t shut down earlier.

it seems obvious that they'd do that and that they could. 

29 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

People talk about shooting it down over land as if it's NBD, but if any of the debris came down and killed anyone below, I would imagine most the armchair QB types would be singing from a different hymnal.

The unseriousness of the MAGAs was when they didn't actually park themselves under the balloon and shoot at it with their Glocks. 

Just now, romad1 said:

The unseriousness of the MAGAs was when they didn't actually park themselves under the balloon and shoot at it with their Glocks. 

I don't think anyone of them actually shot their weapons. What would have happened if a stray bullet from a MEGA actually hit someone, or a flying object.

6 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I don't think anyone of them actually shot their weapons. What would have happened if a stray bullet from a MEGA actually hit someone, or a flying object.

people are killed by guns fired into the air more often that is reported. 

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

I don't think any one of them actually shot their weapons. What would have happened if a stray bullet from a MEGA actually hit someone, or a flying object.

Price of freedom, bro.  They don’t care when a 6 year old shoots a teacher at school.  

I did some rough analysis of the distance a 9mm bullet will travel.   Roughly 2000m or 6000ft

A rifle bullet say 5.56mm or .223 caliber will go up about 3500m or 10000ft.  They come back down of course. 

The MTG and Paul Goszar pictures of them preparing to shoot down the balloon are laughable. 

7 hours ago, romad1 said:

I did some rough analysis of the distance a 9mm bullet will travel.   Roughly 2000m or 6000ft

A rifle bullet say 5.56mm or .223 caliber will go up about 3500m or 10000ft.  They come back down of course. 

The MTG and Paul Goszar pictures of them preparing to shoot down the balloon are laughable. 

I'm not asking you to show your work, but things to consider...

Drag force depends on shape/profile of bullet and wind. It is often neglected in physics 101 projectile calculations. Just wanted to point out it is unlikely a bullet comes back down to the ground at anywhere near the same speed it left the gun.

The bullet will experience a lot more drag on the way back down unless it can do a full 180, and it depends on the orientation of the bullet.

44 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Drag force depends on shape/profile of bullet and wind. It is often neglected in physics 101 projectile calculations. Just wanted to point out it is unlikely a bullet comes back down to the ground at anywhere near the same speed it left the gun.

The bullet will experience a lot more drag on the way back down unless it can do a full 180, and it depends on the orientation of the bullet.

All variables that do not speak to the efficacy of ground based firearms against 60k ft spy balloon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

yes - a falling bullet shot at any high angle will be at terminal velocity when it hits the ground, which will be much less than muzzle velo, but still for a dense material like lead that can be plenty to cause a fatal body penetration. You can't do that accurate a calcuation by hand because a falling bullet tumbles so it's not presenting a constant cross section. But you can do a min/max calc to bracket the real value. To do more than that needs a fluid mechanics simulator. I could give you a rough range for a bullet if you want to pick a caliber and weight......🤓

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/05/politics/chinese-spy-balloons-trump-administration/index.html

So there were three balloons under Trumps admin, but they weren't discovered until Biden was in office?  I know most of you won't question that, but that seems a little fishy to me.   Either someone is lying about it in order to make 'shoot it down immediately' crowd look foolish or even worse, maybe we didn't have any idea about this one until civilians saw it and questioned it.

5 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/05/politics/chinese-spy-balloons-trump-administration/index.html

So there were three balloons under Trumps admin, but they weren't discovered until Biden was in office?  I know most of you won't question that, but that seems a little fishy to me.   Either someone is lying about it in order to make 'shoot it down immediately' crowd look foolish or even worse, maybe we didn't have any idea about this one until civilians saw it and questioned it.

I don't think anyone at the Pentagon gives a **** what the "shoot it down immediately" crowd thinks about anything, tbh. So I'll go with the latter.

6 minutes ago, pfife said:

The other possibility is that the Slump admin was incompetent.

I'm sure during the awesome transition between admins from election day until Jan 20 the topic was discussed. The Trump folks at the Pentagon all seemed like stand up people who would gladly share information with the new guys about embarassing information.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Why was everybody so worked up about a balloon when Google earth is already photographing the entire world 24 hours a day and making the results available on the internet?  

Romad would probably tell you if he could.....💣ys

If I had to take a wild guess, the advantage of a balloon is that it more less loiters so it might be better for gathering data for signals analysis. Other than that I would have no idea. Well, it's a lot cheaper per pic than a satellite. Or maybe one of their intelligence satellites blew a fuse and they are trying to make up some of the deficit on the cheap.........