Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

42 minutes ago, pfife said:

This speech is so good.   He just secured no Social Security or Medicare cuts in the middle of the speech 

That section was a political master class... Biden and the speech writers just knew the the marks couldn't help themselves, and now got some tape to put in the can for later.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

Speech is over and I was taking notes...this seemed wild, wonder how it'll play out.  Here are my notes with some context to them.

He's having trouble getting through this - Seemed to have more trouble than usual with some wording.  It's Biden, but still, seemed to struggle a bit.

Made in America - He still has a pulse on America, certainly more so then his party (IMO).   This is how you reach out to voters that have moved away from you (Macomb county for instance) without losing your base.  I'm all on board with this.

Big Pharma smackdown - overall I like it, but the cynic in me wonders if it's a quid pro quo with Big Pharma and both parties.  The government will continue to push Covid vaccines, you give us cheaper insulin.

We've moved into the shit show portion of the event with Cruella Deville, err, I mean MTG.  What an embarrassment.  And McCarthy trying to shush her, like you have any power you cuck.

Holy shit - Have we ever seen a president negotiate an agreement in SOTU?  Well we have now.  He stands up to MTG and essentially tricks them into agreeing not to go after entitlements.  That was amazing.

The Tyre Nichols discussion was OK.  I'm not saying I want qualified immunity completely removed, but maybe pushing on that might actually result in some of the changes he talked about.  I just don't see this going anyway, it never does.  As an aside, am I the only white person that had 'the talk' about police with their parents and once their kids are older, their kids too?  Window down, interior lights on if at night, hands on the wheel until you're told to get your license, no quick movements, be polite.....?  

Did anybody actually watch Sarah Huckabee's "rebuttal" last night? From what I read it seemed like a Festivus like airing of grievances comparable only to Bobby Jindal's and Marco Rubio's oratory. 

Not to mention calling out the entire party by saying they need younger and more hip leadership. (I guess that makes her old boss happy)

Does anyone vet these speeches? Or is it open mike night at the QOP Improv Club?

21 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Did anybody actually watch Sarah Huckabee's "rebuttal" last night? From what I read it seemed like a Festivus like airing of grievances comparable only to Bobby Jindal's and Marco Rubio's oratory. 

Not to mention calling out the entire party by saying they need younger and more hip leadership. (I guess that makes her old boss happy)

Does anyone vet these speeches? Or is it open mike night at the QOP Improv Club?

Watched it after the fact. It was striking how little the rebuttal actually addressed any of the content of the speech, more than normal even... it was mostly focused on culture war issues and "wokeness", all of which really weren't on the menu during the SOTU.

Also interesting how the speech argued for "generational change"... no argument there, but not sure that Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who isnt very dynamic and owes her entire career to nepotism, is the right messenger.

Nobody cares about the rebuttal (not that many care about the SOTU either tbh) so I doubt it matters much in the grand scheme of things. But it wasn't one of the better ones regardless

10 hours ago, smr-nj said:

That one I find particularly heinous. I personally would never use it referring to another woman, and I would also personally be somewhat taken aback if someone I knew used the word (whether or not it was directed at me).
Just my opinion.

I find it fascinating how in America the word is applied exclusively to women, and in Britain and Down Under the word is applied primarily to men. 

This is probably the smartest spin to that Flashpoint moment in the speech last night.

Two problems:

1) A not-insignificant amount of people in that room last night, including the Chair of the NRSC last election cycle, have endorsed moves in the past around sunsetting SS/Medicare.

2) To the extent that there have been denials of that being on the table, the average view of the speech or secondhand viewers via local news broadcasts likely aren't following the "tick tock" and know what McCarthy has said or not said. That section of the speech, in a very public way, gets them all on the record in a much more high profile way.

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Spot on... in addition, having seen that excerpt from her speech earlier, it was striking how angry it came across and, while watching Biden, how much more upbeat his approach and demeanor was in contrast.

One imagines that's a contrast that Biden wants to show.

The anger works for them because their base is always angry. Angry people don’t like it when other people are upbeat and happy. That only makes angry people angrier, and leads them to want to shut those upbeat and happy people the hell up.

Cohen is right about preaching to the converted, because the basic rhetoric has maxed out the number of people who will respond and subscribe to it. Nationally, that number is a substantial minority at best which, in an electoral system, is a losing number. So the time has come to start convincing the base to take up arms against the tyrannical majority—because an armed minority can subjuagate an unarmed majority, at least for a time—which is what the violent rhetoric is all about. And really, isn’t that already happening?