Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

2 hours ago, pfife said:

Nice twitter hearings showing they actually gave slump preferential treatment,  not Biden.   But we all knew that already.

Matt Taibbi's response was predictable... apparently, mentioning Trump did some stuff once apparently absolves him from not producing a 78-tweet thread documenting an actual sitting President using his office to pressure social media companies to conform to his will.

Why the whole "Twitter file" thing has been bogus (and a bust) in a nutshell. None of the actors involved are "impartial" and "fair"... being a contrarian crank doesn't inherently make one unbiased. And they are all as much or more part of the same hypocrisy they purport to be against. 

Edited by mtutiger

Elmo already did look into it, and made public a treasure trove of internal Twitter documents, which was disseminated via Twitter by 5 or 6 different people. They came out in pieces, each dealing with many hot button topics of the day we have went through over the years.

I suppose what one reads out of them depends on their tribal outlook of the world, but it's some really wild shit.

If you have read the 600 plus Tweets and the countless articles about what they exposed, and don't think there is anything wrong, you have your head planted firmly up your ass.

There was a hearing in congress today along these lines, so I'm sure the fix is in. Pun intended.

24 minutes ago, Screwball said:

They came out in pieces...

Carefully curated and selective, hence my comment about how Taibbi thinks one sentence (versus an entire thread) about how Trump did things covers Trump actually using the weight of an actual Presidential administration to threaten Twitter because someone on the platform hurt his fee fees, hence the idea that Taibbi and Elmo are no more impartial than the folks they levy accusations against.

It's really that simple... they arent defenders of free speech, they are hypocrites.

I read nearly all of the Twitter Files, it absolutely pointed out attempts by members of both parties, but it also pointed out the difference in which ones they chose to listen to.  Twitter employee's weren't big into 'both sidsin', so i'm not surprised nearly no one here had any issues with civilians in a private company with such a monopoly on spreading news within this nation picking and choosing what folks see.

The new owner, along with just generally harming the functionality of the platform, seems to bring some biases of his own to the table. Along with some of his new employees like Taibbi and Bari Weiss.

Being a contrarian crank, in and of itself, does not make one unbiased. 

Edited by mtutiger

Nazis gotta be heard too. The GOP wants Nazis and penises to have a seat at the table. They get mad if a cereal commercial shows gay people though. Or drag queens reading books. Ban books about Hank Aaron and Rosa Parks.  They are also upset at Disney for going woke again. Something about song of the south. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I read nearly all of the Twitter Files, it absolutely pointed out attempts by members of both parties, but it also pointed out the difference in which ones they chose to listen to.  Twitter employee's weren't big into 'both sidsin', so i'm not surprised nearly no one here had any issues with civilians in a private company with such a monopoly on spreading news within this nation picking and choosing what folks see.

I don't know how much you use twitter, but I have been on twitter a long time and it has ALWAYS been possible to post the most vile right wing BS imaginable and it has never been deleted. It has always been easy to find too.  I have seen it without looking for it.  I have been able to filter most of it out so I can just follow baseball, although it's getting harder to do now with the extreme right wing site owner.  If they would give us the option of blocking the asinine trending topics, it would be a lot better.   

1 hour ago, oblong said:

In sum the GOP was upset that they wouldn’t post pictures of Hunter’s dick.  There’s lots of other noise thrown in but pouring thru the actual facts it boils down to that.  Those moralists wanted you to see his dick pics. 

I'm not saying the MTG folks that care about making the biggest headlines aren't upset about that.  But I'm equally flustered by folks that lump in those dick pics with legitimate emails which detail a lot more business ties, and some wording that doesn't sound all that legit (10% for the big guy).  It's awfully convenient to just keep saying dick pics though.

22 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The new owner, along with just generally harming the functionality of the platform, seems to bring some biases of his own to the table. Along with some of his new employees like Taibbi and Bari Weiss.

Being a contrarian crank, in and of itself, does not make one unbiased. 

Almost seems like folks realize the harm that can cause once the bias doesn't lean towards them.

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't know how much you use twitter, but I have been on twitter a long time and it has ALWAYS been possible to post the most vile right wing BS imaginable and it has never been deleted. It has always been easy to find too.  I have seen it without looking for it.  I have been able to filter most of it out so I can just follow baseball, although it's getting harder to do now with the extreme right wing site owner.  If they would give us the option of blocking the asinine trending topics, it would be a lot better.   

While I never tweet and rarely retweet, I use it daily.  Seems like once a year I need to 'clean it up' in order to ensure I'm seeing what I want.  Just because you've seen some stuff you would prefer to have seen blocked, doesn't mean they didn't shadow ban in the past.  

21 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Almost seems like folks realize the harm that can cause once the bias doesn't lean towards them.

Honestly, I don't care that much... the platform was largely a cess pool before he bought it, and it largely is one after, maybe just slightly more so. And it works for them... it doesn't matter how glitchy the platform gets, how much more overrun with bots it has become, or how much less user friendly he has made the interface (all of which lead people to use the platform less, advertisers to flee, etc.), his hoards will eat it up.

Edited by mtutiger

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Honestly, I don't care that much... the platform was largely a cess pool before he bought it, and it largely is one after, maybe just slightly more so. And it works for them... it doesn't matter how glitchy the platform gets, how much more overrun with bots it has become, or how much less user friendly he has made the interface (all of which lead people to use the platform less, advertisers to flee, etc.), his hoards will eat it up.

I honestly haven't noticed much in terms of glitches with it.  I know there was a big deal about some broken two factor authentication for locked out accounts but working in tech I hear about some major company having some type of application issue regularly.  

15 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I honestly haven't noticed much in terms of glitches with it.  I know there was a big deal about some broken two factor authentication for locked out accounts but working in tech I hear about some major company having some type of application issue regularly.  

They just had one today where people had to schedule tweets in order to actually send them... probably testing some new change.

For a while they were defaulting to a "For You" tab over the time-line which was sharing content I largely don't care about, despite likely being based on an algorithm.

Either way, I've noticed a difference. Ymmv

21 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Greene is an embarrassment to America, but it's fair to point out that Pelosi ripping up the speech was pretty childish too.    

So was Trump embarrassing Pelosi publicly by failing to shake her outstretched hand when he handed her the speech before the address.