Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

It should be noted that Tom Cotton seemingly threatened GM over pulling advertising on Twitter a few months ago.

Which raises questions about why a self-described conservative would be advocating using the power of the state to compel a business to do business with another business.

Rhonda Santis also said Congress should hold hearings over companies advertising decisions.

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It should be noted that Tom Cotton seemingly threatened GM over pulling advertising on Twitter a few months ago.

Which raises questions about why a self-described conservative would be advocating using the power of the state to compel a business to do business with another business.

Not only another business but a business that is a direct competitor since the owner of Twitter now is the owner of Tesla. 

21 minutes ago, pfife said:

Twitter isn't the big dog in news distribution among social media.    It's at best in 3rd place but more realistically 4th place.  Your conflating of followers with users (and humans) is woefully uninformed. 

It still amuses me how internalized the idea of Facebook fading in relevance has become and how it really downplays the fact that it's still, last I checked, in first place among usership.

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Because they aren't conservative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

THAT would violate the first amendment. People don't understand that fact.

Ad revenues and the free market regulate it. These rules are in place because these platforms don't want their sites to be liable to dark stuff and want to be able to sell ads. Tough to tell Chevy to pay to advertise on their site if they are going to be wedged between nazi tweets.

Yup, for better or for worse, EVERYTHING big corporations do is about increasing profit.  If a company whether it be a media company or Nike or whatever, bans something it is not being done to make a social or political statement.  It is being done to make money.  

Kind of a big thing around here. Colonial Williamsburg will be moving the Bray School building from near the William and Mary campus to a prominent location within the Historic area. The Bray School is the oldest building set up to educate Black children in the 1760. The school taught both free and enslaved blacks.

https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/learn/research-and-education/architectural-research/williamsburg-bray-school-initiative/

They are physically moving the building back to near its original spot and will hold a ceremony tomorrow afternoon. Among the dignitaries speaking will be the Governor. The very same Governor who ran a major part of his campaign speaking out against CRT.  Should be interesting. I hope he wears an appropriate vest for the event.  

2 hours ago, pfife said:

Twitter isn't the big dog in news distribution among social media.    It's at best in 3rd place but more realistically 4th place.  Your conflating of followers with users (and humans) is woefully uninformed. 

Show of hands from everyone, how many of you follow your favorite journalist on Facebook?  

How many folks have more than one journalist they follow on Twitter?

In terms of folks searching out for breaking news, news in general, or reaction to news, what is bigger than Twitter?

12 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Show of hands from everyone, how many of you follow your favorite journalist on Facebook?  

How many folks have more than one journalist they follow on Twitter?

In terms of folks searching out for breaking news, news in general, or reaction to news, what is bigger than Twitter?

Facebook, ticToc, YouTube.

You moved the goalposts in the same post.

Edited by pfife

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

THAT would violate the first amendment. People don't understand that fact.

Ad revenues and the free market regulate it. These rules are in place because these platforms don't want their sites to be liable to dark stuff and want to be able to sell ads. Tough to tell Chevy to pay to advertise on their site if they are going to be wedged between nazi tweets.

I'm not even asking to hold social media to the same standards as publishers, I'm just saying some oversight could be beneficial for everyone, including the social media folks themselves.  NYT, Washington Post, CNN, they all have some oversight and I've never heard anyone claim that was a violation of the first amendment.  I'm not even calling for anything specific here, i'm just saying if you have this much power (enough to flip the 2016 election to Trump per quite a few of my democratic friends), then maybe the government should make sure it's not being abused.

The oddest thing is that line of thinking is more in line with what I always thought the democratic party wanted more of.  

12 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I'm not even asking to hold social media to the same standards as publishers, I'm just saying some oversight could be beneficial for everyone, including the social media folks themselves.  NYT, Washington Post, CNN, they all have some oversight and I've never heard anyone claim that was a violation of the first amendment.  I'm not even calling for anything specific here, i'm just saying if you have this much power (enough to flip the 2016 election to Trump per quite a few of my democratic friends), then maybe the government should make sure it's not being abused.

The oddest thing is that line of thinking is more in line with what I always thought the democratic party wanted more of.  

Government overseeing the content of the media is not a good thing.  If anything, I want the media overseeing the government!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Most people I know have never even used Twitter and have no idea how it works.  

This has gone off of the rails even though I do have what I think is a valid response to this... i'm going to try and get back to my original point.  Twitter, IMO, drives day to day news cycles.  In terms of people that make news, reporters, editors, journalists, producers, they monitor twitter, use it to promote their work, and sometimes use it as a publishing tool to give added though or opinions to other work.   I personally don't see that type of interaction, at that scale at least, on Facebook, TikTok, Instagram.  

10 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

This has gone off of the rails even though I do have what I think is a valid response to this... i'm going to try and get back to my original point.  Twitter, IMO, drives day to day news cycles.  In terms of people that make news, reporters, editors, journalists, producers, they monitor twitter, use it to promote their work, and sometimes use it as a publishing tool to give added though or opinions to other work.   I personally don't see that type of interaction, at that scale at least, on Facebook, TikTok, Instagram.  

Gonna go out on a limb and suggest that, given that most people don't use Twitter, producers at cable news networks have more power over what drives news cycles than Twitter given that people cumulatively use those platforms more than Twitter and that they have a lot of discretion as to what is transmitted over their airways.

Edited by mtutiger