Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

12 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

This has gone off of the rails even though I do have what I think is a valid response to this... i'm going to try and get back to my original point.  Twitter, IMO, drives day to day news cycles.  In terms of people that make news, reporters, editors, journalists, producers, they monitor twitter, use it to promote their work, and sometimes use it as a publishing tool to give added though or opinions to other work.   I personally don't see that type of interaction, at that scale at least, on Facebook, TikTok, Instagram.  

it still depends. It's not just twitter alone - I think the war in Ukraine is a good example of that. There is a flood of information of all types about the war reported on twitter. Very little if any of it ever moves the public immagination or the MSM to cover the war much more actively. So no doubt Twitter news is a huge source, but Twitter news content doesn't seem to drive broader agendas by itself, other ingredients need to be present. I guess it provides a vehicle to the public to become interested in a story and that drives the rest of media - but I think it's worth maintaining the distinction between twitter content generators driving agendas vs the broader public being responsible for bringing something that may have initially appeared on twitter to the cultural forefront. The latter effect of what catches the public fancy is capricious and largely unpredictable as opposed to being driven by Twitter content generators. Not that they don't try.

1 minute ago, pfife said:

Facebook didn't publish it.

You do know there are programs that publish to multiple social media sights simultaneously right?

I didn't open up Twitter to check on that, just assumed it was them, my bad.  But in the words of Biden "C'mon Man", you try to point out that people share news on Facebook (not that I ever disputed that), but the first place you go to in order to get it is Twitter?   You have to admit that's funny.

You guys win though.  I'm back to my conservative ways which apparently means I should be full libertarian.  Completely unadulterated free market capitalism is the way to go.  FCC over there putting restrictions is a violation of the 1st amendment or laws requiring newspapers to print public notices...sheesh.  You want it in there gov't, you can pay for it. 

9 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I didn't open up Twitter to check on that, just assumed it was them, my bad.  But in the words of Biden "C'mon Man", you try to point out that people share news on Facebook (not that I ever disputed that), but the first place you go to in order to get it is Twitter?   You have to admit that's funny.

You guys win though.  I'm back to my conservative ways which apparently means I should be full libertarian.  Completely unadulterated free market capitalism is the way to go.  FCC over there putting restrictions is a violation of the 1st amendment or laws requiring newspapers to print public notices...sheesh.  You want it in there gov't, you can pay for it. 

It's really not a cmon man.   It's a twitter bot.

1 minute ago, pfife said:

It's really not a cmon man.   It's a twitter bot.

Again, I got that.  So it's not a real person which i'm guessing you are using as proof that not that much news gets shared on Twitter.  But again, when you wanted said information, you went to Twitter to get that.  You don't see anything funny in that?

26 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

it still depends. It's not just twitter alone - I think the war in Ukraine is a good example of that. There is a flood of information of all types about the war reported on twitter. Very little if any of it ever moves the public immagination or the MSM to cover the war much more actively. So no doubt Twitter news is a huge source, but Twitter news content doesn't seem to drive broader agendas by itself, other ingredients need to be present. I guess it provides a vehicle to the public to become interested in a story and that drives the rest of media - but I think it's worth maintaining the distinction between twitter content generators driving agendas vs the broader public being responsible for bringing something that may have initially appeared on twitter to the cultural forefront. The latter effect of what catches the public fancy is capricious and largely unpredictable as opposed to being driven by Twitter content generators. Not that they don't try.

And really, blaming Twitter denies agency to those content generators.

At the end of the day, most Americans get their news from both local and cable news. The networks and the producers maybe use Twitter as a tool in their toolbox, both to gather and transmit information, but ultimately they get to decide what they put out over the airways and all of them collectively have a ton of power to drive the conversation.

Edited by mtutiger

3 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Again, I got that.  So it's not a real person which i'm guessing you are using as proof that not that much news gets shared on Twitter.  But again, when you wanted said information, you went to Twitter to get that.  You don't see anything funny in that?

I googled it.  

45 minutes ago, pfife said:

A little outdated but point remains 

image.thumb.png.faaab28767648ba0db00098f07667ded.png

I have a friend who constantly posts "news" on Facebook about athletes getting killed by vaccines, military feminizing soldiers, schools making kids gay, etc.  His friends read the articles, give him high fives and thank him for keeping them informed.  Bidens gotta go Only Trump can save us!!!!

Edited by Tiger337

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I have a friend who constantly posts "news" on Facebook about athletes getting killed by vaccines, military feminizing soldiers, schools making kids gay, etc.  His friends read the articles, give him high fives and thank him for keeping them informed.  Bidens gotta go Only Trump can save us!!!!

Careful. People are gonna get offended that you’re mocking hicks whose culture you know nothing about. 

1 minute ago, ben9753 said:

Careful. People are gonna get offended that you’re mocking hicks whose culture you know nothing about. 

These guys aren't hicks.  They live in the suburbs. 

Also, I have known my friend for a long time and he is very nice guy in real life.  

Edited by Tiger337

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Government overseeing the content of the media is not a good thing.  If anything, I want the media overseeing the government!

I'm all for that too. When is it going to start?

I'm just catching up here, been busy.

I've just read about 5 pages of people arguing about how to control news/speech/information - call it what you want. Someone above posted a picture that showed around 75% of our people get their news from a social media site (if I read it correctly). Then people argue about who it should be and how. Why?

What's wrong with many forms of information? If you don't want to read it, don't. If you don't believe it, fine. Go where it makes you feel happy I guess.

This started about the Twitter files - it doesn't matter who the people were who exposed them - or the venue that it has been disseminated through. Cast all that aside, there are over 600 screenshots of internal documentation of some really bad shit. Things that should concern all Americans if they care about the rule of law and the corruption that goes on.

And it ain't about dick pics.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

So Google, which attempts to find the most relevant information based on your search request also found the information about top 10 Facebook links on Twitter.... and you still don't understand why that's funny.

I understand why you think it's funny. 

2 hours ago, pfife said:

I also understand why you're tryna change the discussion given the complete fountain of misinformation you've been in this thread.

I’d love to know what misinformation you claim I’m making.  Certainly can understand someone not a agreeing with my opinion, but what misinformation am I spreading?

18 hours ago, Edman85 said:

THAT would violate the first amendment. People don't understand that fact.

Ad revenues and the free market regulate it.

True as this may be in the abstract, the government’s responsibility to prevent people shouting “fire” in a crowded theater is the only foot in the door politicians need to expand the scope of oversight as far as they can get away with. At that point it’s up to the people to monitor the government by getting sick of their shenanigans and replacing them some fine November day.

14 hours ago, pfife said:

A little outdated but point remains 

image.thumb.png.faaab28767648ba0db00098f07667ded.png

Even as a percent of users who do use the platform for news or news headlines, Facebook is the equivalent (52/71 = 74%) of Twitter (16/23 = 73%), plus FB has the raw numbers.

Of course, we can also debate just how much content of each platform actually constitutes “news” …

15 hours ago, ewsieg said:

NYT, Washington Post, CNN, they all have some oversight...

15 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Can you be more specific here?

Still waiting.

My understanding is that newspapers and outlets have pretty broad latitude to publish or broadcast news as they see fit. And to the extent that there is government regulation (ie. Libel laws), it's a really high bar to clear.

Edited by mtutiger