Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I muted Elon a long time ago. When I was researching EVs to buy, I naturally started with Tesla and it only took 10 minutes to figure out Tesla is a fraud and Elon is a charlatan. He's basically the equivalent of Elizabeth Holmes. 

But I was reliably told by Joe Rogan that all liberals LOVED Elon Musk before he bought Twitter... lol

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

But I was reliably told by Joe Rogan that all liberals LOVED Elon Musk before he bought Twitter... lol

I do think his base was left but we're talking the extreme left like people who support people like Nina Turner. Tesla is literally a cult. I went on some forums and they talk about Elon Musk being the best thing to humanity and he is saving humanity. I am not being hyperbolic. Those are actual words from Tesla supporters. 

Another thing that was so odd was when people would bring up Tesla's abysmal build quality, it would always turn into a flex about their stock. They just keep believing the lie. They're convinced the Cybertruck is going to put Ford out of business even though the Cybertruck doesn't exist and keeps getting delayed until next year. Tesla's are just junk. They have the worst reliability rating, are poorly engineered, have massive body gaps, and colors don't even match and yet Tesla owners give him a pass. No way GM or Ford gets away with that. This was all before Elon Musk bought Twitter and showed his true self. 

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I do think his base was left but we're talking the extreme left like people who support people like Nina Turner. Tesla is literally a cult. I went on some forums and they talk about Elon Musk being the best thing to humanity and he is saving humanity. I am not being hyperbolic. Those are actual words from Tesla supporters. 

That matches with what I've seen as well...

Most people on here would call me liberal, yet I've never liked the guy for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which that there's a natural aversion to people who command cult-like status like he does, but also that he's bombastic and projects a level of arrogance in everything he does. 

All traits that remind me of another figure that I've never liked as well... 

Another thing that was so odd was when people would bring up Tesla's abysmal build quality, it would always turn into a flex about their stock. They just keep believing the lie. They're convinced the Cybertruck is going to put Ford out of business even though the Cybertruck doesn't exist and keeps getting delayed until next year. Tesla's are just junk. They have the worst reliability rating, are poorly engineered, have massive body gaps, and colors don't even match and yet Tesla owners give him a pass. No way GM or Ford gets away with that. This was all before Elon Musk bought Twitter and showed his true self.

I don't know enough about the car industry to speak to it, but I will say that it's hard not to imagine that the bluster around GM putting a hold on advertising on Twitter has to do with them being a competitor of Elon's.

He once had the EV sandbox to himself and that is no longer the case.

Edited by mtutiger

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Most people on here would call me liberal, yet I've never liked the guy for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which that there's a natural aversion to people who command cult-like status like he does, but also that he's bombastic and projects a level of arrogance in everything he does. 

All traits that remind me of another figure that I've never liked as well... 

I never got much into looking into Musk himself, but when I was looking into buying a Tesla I was like I just want an EV, not join a cult. I ended up buying a Ford Mach E. The Ford forums were what you expect. People who like their Mach E, people who have had issues with them and how Ford responded. Nobody talked about the stock price, nobody mentioned the CEO, or how Ford was going to save humanity. Ford also did not charge $10k for an option that is still not available 7 years later. BTW Ford's Blue Cruise is better than Autopilot. Autopilot is nothing more than adaptive cruise control and lane centering. It's dangerous and yet Elon continues to be able to sell it as autonomous. 

I always thought Space X landing rockets on platforms out in the ocean was pretty cool but I really soured on Musk when he showed himself to be a COVID denier in early days of the pandemic.   I remember seeing a tesla back out of a parking spot at my work and thought that was cool 

Edited by pfife

22 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I muted Elon a long time ago. When I was researching EVs to buy, I naturally started with Tesla and it only took 10 minutes to figure out Tesla is a fraud and Elon is a charlatan. He's basically the equivalent of Elizabeth Holmes. 

Except he’s not a woman, so he won’t get crushed by the justice system.

22 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I would never have considered Musk liberal, but I wouldn’t call the people who revered him liberals, either. True liberals generally have a distinct, defined ideology they base their belief systems on. The people in the Musk cult are basically contrarians who crave the recognition that they’re smarter than anyone else, so they embrace whatever new idea or icon that comes along that they believe will help prove that. That’s what I think the sudden surge of red hats was all about: people who discovered “politics” for the first time through RW online media and now want to demonstrate how smart they are about it by endlessly spouting all the talking points to the rest of us. It’s also why I believe people like this will bounce from new extreme left-wing ideas to new extreme right-wing ideas in basically the snap of a finger. They want to stay one step ahead of the sheeple.

Edited by chasfh

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Except he’s not a woman, so he won’t get crushed by the justice system.

He's not a woman who committed a violent crime but I digress. The difference between Tesla and Theranos is you can still buy a Tesla. The product does exist where the Theranos machine never existed. Musk sells vaporware like FSD, Roadster, trips to Mars etc but you can still buy a Tesla. Musk is really bilking the consumer and not as much the investor like Holmes.