Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

35 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

😀

One of my most rational friends who was with me a early declaration of Never Trump is having a hard time assessing Elon's behavior.   He's still resisting that Musk may have been captured by the baddies.   "Why would he need to be in debt to anyone, he's the richest man in the World?"

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think he has been captured by anyone.  He is an out of touch person born into wealth and needs constant attention.  

Its the simplest explanation for bad actions.  The debt incurred to buy Twitter at $44B was leveraged by several bad actors.  

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think he has been captured by anyone.  He is an out of touch person born into wealth and needs constant attention.  

I will give him credit that he made his own wealth.  He was one of the founders or PayPal and cashed in when it sold to eBay for $1.5B in 2002.   He then parlayed that into investing many other Silicon Valley startups as well founding SpaceX and Tesla. 

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Elon Musk was not the founder of Paypal. His company merged with another company and Musk was replaced as CEO before the company was even named PayPal, had their IPO and was acquired by eBay. 

This is true that he was fired by Peter Thiel as CEO.  He was still one of the founders of the company and made his first massive windfall of his own money when the company was sold.    

27 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

LOL Elon Musk was born to one of the wealthiest people in South Africa and fled to Canada to avoid military service. That sounds like a certain orange fatass from Queens. 

I don’t believe this is correct.  He was born into considerable wealth but I don’t think the family was anywhere near to levels to be among the wealthiest in South Africa.  I do believe that he fled to avoid military service.  That sounds like him.  

BTW, I’m not a fan.  He’s a loonybins egomaniac and probably the closest thing we’ve seen to a real life Bond villain.   I do give him credit for making his own money (or at least paper valuation of his stock). 

Musk has entered the Michael Jackson/Elvis phase of having too much fame and wealth and being surrounded by Yes Men. 

He obtained all the material and physical satisfaction that money can buy in terms of toys and the flesh.  Now he need to get his "high" from something else as the other things bore him.

Musk has done some things right, it's ridiculous the disdain and poo pooing of his business record in the last year.  He also isn't Gates or Wozniak.  Tesla has always been ridiculously over valued and the mantra that it's not a car company but a tech company is a bit silly.  That said, I doubt too many on this board would think Jim Farley is an idiot and many think Ford is ahead of the other two Big 3 folks because of Farley's major push to be more of a 'tech' company, at least in the way Musk would argue.

There is a bit of childness attitude with him as well.  If he sees an opportunity for a joke, he's going to take it, without thinking about the actual power and manipulation that can be done based on it.

And he's absolutely shown a bias and he absolutely is in a better position with Tesla if China is happy with him.  For someone like me that thinks Twitter is a much bigger player in news / news distribution than most of you, this is beyond frightening for me.

Edited by ewsieg

2 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Musk has done some things right, it's ridiculous the disdain and poo pooing of his business record in the last year.  He also isn't Gates or Wozniak.  Tesla has always been ridiculously over valued and the mantra that it's not a car company but a tech company is a bit silly.  That said, I doubt too many on this board would think Jim Farley is an idiot and many think Ford is ahead of the other two Big 3 folks because of Farley's major push to be more of a 'tech' company, at least in the way Musk would argue.

There is a bit of childness attitude with him as well.  If he sees an opportunity for a joke, he's going to take it, without thinking about the actual power and manipulation that can be done based on it.

And he's absolutely shown a bias and he absolutely is in a better position with Tesla if China is happy with him.  For someone like me that thinks Twitter is a much bigger player in news / news distribution than most of you, this is beyond frightening for me.

Doesn't this play into people's perception of him as a business man as well? Is going out and ****posting and trolling now seen as good business acumen or something that doesn't risk alienating customers, or am I just behind the times?

8 minutes ago, pfife said:

So if there's a national divorce who is going to financially support the reds?

Jesus Chris Almighty …

Sure, on the one hand, this could not happen in the United States as currently constitutionally constructed, so reasonable people are free to dismiss her as a complete wackjob spouting off wild ideas.

On the other hand, the more she says things like this without suffering any real consequences, the more normalized the ideas themselves become, and the closer we inch to the idea that the United States might be constitutionally reconstructed to allow something like this, and god knows what else. Dismiss that if you like, especially you kids who would be those who have to deal with that decades into the future. God, I hope it takes decades at least.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

No way Jim Farley could say back in 2014 that a full self driving option will be available within the next year and still be CEO. No way he could then sell FSD in 2016 as a $10,000 option with the promise it will be available within another year and 7 years later it still isn't available. No way he could announce the Ford Lighting in 2019 and take deposits with the promise it would go into production by 2020 only for it to be delayed to 2024 at the earliest. No way can he announce a Roadster in 2017, take full payment of $250,000 to preorder with the promise it would deliver in 2020, and still not deliver the Roadster as of 2023. No way could he market adaptive cruise and lane keep assist as Autopilot the way Musk has which has literally killed people. His valuation is based on these lies and many more. Tesla's are rated as among the least reliable cars. They are well known for their terrible build quality. They have massive panel gaps, they don't get the advertised driving range, their door handles are known to not work, and they are known to leak and cause mold. There's not much difference between Tesla and Theranos. 

Tesla is losing their shit in China. BYD has surpassed them in sales and Tesla is falling like a rock in China. 

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Jesus Chris Almighty …

Sure, on the one hand, this could not happen in the United States as currently constitutionally constructed, so reasonable people are free to dismiss her as a complete wackjob spouting off wild ideas.

On the other hand, the more she says things like this without suffering any real consequences, the more normalized the ideas themselves become, and the closer we inch to the idea that the United States might be constitutionally reconstructed to allow something like this, and god knows what else. Dismiss that if you like, especially you kids who would be those who have to deal with that decades into the future. God, I hope it takes decades at least.

All GOP candidates need to defend this in the debates both in the primaries and in the general election.  This specifically is all theirs to own.

I blame so much of the current state of America on one man.   

Dale Earnhardt Jr.

This country hasn’t been the same since he retired from NASCAR in 2017.  These folks needed something else to care way too much about once he quit racing. They found Trump, Tucker, and hating on some libs and the rest is history.   Instead of carburetors and bump drafting, they now presume to be experts on debt ceilings and NATO bylaws.  It’s completely exhausting.  So much of this could’ve been avoided if Junior was still out there making left turns in his Chevy every Sunday.   Damn you Dale Jr. and your shitty original Budweiser sponsor too. 

Edited by Hongbit
  • Haha 2

"The overwhelming focus is on solving full self-driving. That’s essential. It’s really the difference between Tesla being worth a lot of money or worth basically zero."

Elon Musk says solving self-driving is the difference between Tesla being worth a lot or nothing | Electrek

As you can see, the reason he keeps up the FSD lie is because Tesla is worthless without it. That's straight from his mouth. He's a charlatan.

"The automaker has been selling a FSD package for up to $12,000 that comes with a few driver assist features and the promise that Tesla will eventually enable self-driving capability through future software updates.

Tesla has missed a few deadlines on that front, and it is still not clear when the company can deliver on the promise."

He's also a grifter. He's been taking money for FSD since 2016. Since then, GM and Ford have come out with actual self driving systems. GM even beat Tesla to robotaxis. Another thing Tesla promised. The problem is, Tesla's hardware that you are paying over $10k for, isn't even capable of FSD. No other CEO could get away with this. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

12 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I blame so much of the current state of America on one man.   

Dale Earnhardt Jr.

This country hasn’t been the same since he retired from NASCAR in 2017.  These folks needed something else to care way too much about once he quit racing. They found Trump, Tucker, and hating on some libs and the rest is history.   Instead of carburetors and bump drafting, they now presume to be experts on debt ceilings and NATO bylaws.  It’s completely exhausting.  So much of this could’ve been avoided if Junior was still out there making left turns in his Chevy every Sunday.   Damn you Dale Jr. and your shitty original Budweiser sponsor too. 

Dale Jr was the Elon of Nascar. Everyone tuned in to see him win yet he was never much of a winner... Boogity boogity boogity!

it’s probably best that he doesn’t get indicted.  He’s not ever going to jail and will just use it to grift more money through his “legal defense fund”.   He actually may welcome an indictment to pad his pockets even more.   

Edited by Hongbit