Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

I love that the GOP is going all in on anti woke and cutting Medicare and SS. Just a giant circle jerk. 

I was looking at the SS payouts and it amazes me that I will get if I retire at 62 justs about twice as much per month after a lifetime of contributing as my mentally handicapped brother who has never contributed.  He's getting $1K and I'd be getting like $2k.  Now, I'm not that high of an earner and its capped and its a safety net and all that but that just seemed weird to me.  And the bloated plutocrats from billionaire funds our former grassroots anti-woke Party want to eliminate even that much.

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

I love that the GOP is going all in on anti woke and cutting Medicare and SS. Just a giant circle jerk. 

I’ll love it when it destroys them. Until then, remaking society along those lines is all still in the realm of possibility. I learned my lesson in 2016 rooting for a Trump nomination.

27 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I was looking at the SS payouts and it amazes me that I will get if I retire at 62 justs about twice as much per month after a lifetime of contributing as my mentally handicapped brother who has never contributed.  He's getting $1K and I'd be getting like $2k.  Now, I'm not that high of an earner and its capped and its a safety net and all that but that just seemed weird to me.  And the bloated plutocrats from billionaire funds our former grassroots anti-woke Party want to eliminate even that much.

I've been reading a lot about this and listening to a bunch of podcasts & whatnot and if you can hold off on taking Social Security benes until 70 it's way better financially.  

4 minutes ago, pfife said:

I've been reading a lot about this and listening to a bunch of podcasts & whatnot and if you can hold off on taking Social Security benes until 70 it's way better financially.  

Yes, what an incentive.

Now, my dad would still be working in his 90s and volunteers his time plenty at various things.   I've been somebody's bell cow my entire life.  Either building teams of bell cows or being a super productive singular bell cow.  F the somebody who needs me to be that so they can prop up the asshats who don't want to pay their taxes.

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Yes, what an incentive.

Now, my dad would still be working in his 90s and volunteers his time plenty at various things.   I've been somebody's bell cow my entire life.  Either building teams of bell cows or being a super productive singular bell cow.  F the somebody who needs me to be that so they can prop up the asshats who don't want to pay their taxes.

[insert meme of Morpheus showing Neo the battery]

2 hours ago, pfife said:

Doesn’t that assume you will live longer?  I’m going out at 62. Have known too many people that have died in the age range of 65-72 that I will probably retire at 62 if I can still maintain a decent lifestyle for 10 years. I figure anything after age 72 is gravy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

Doesn’t that assume you will live longer?  I’m going out at 62. Have known too many people that have died in the age range of 65-72 that I will probably retire at 62 if I can still maintain a decent lifestyle for 10 years. I figure anything after age 72 is gravy. 

it's one of the few risks in life that you can actually calculate.

4 hours ago, oblong said:

The flipside is that...

If you have any savings/ 401K or whatnot...

That you can retire at 62 but not necessarily declare for Social Security.

The longer you can hold off, the higher that $2K/ mth accretes to $4K/ mth (if you hold out all the way to 70).

I'm not going to speak to anyone's finances or ask any questions... I'm just sayin'...

I'm going through the same thought process... When do I want to/ can afford to: stop working. Not counting social security... in fact, can I do that right now? Maybe in a pinch... I could do it. But there's no reason just yet for me to do so in the job I'm in; and I've 3 more years until 62 anyways. Can I set myself up to retire and not need SS...? Until 70? Dunno... but I'm working on that.

So many questions. But I'm bored with working, even though I don't want to leave my current job. And there's just so much I'd love to do... with my schedule filled with... nothing. Except whatever I feel like doing when I wake up each morning. Some day. And that day is getting close.

Edited by 1984Echoes

26 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

That you can retire at 62 but not necessarily declare for Social Security.

right - the SSA doesn't care if you are working or not working - makes no difference to them (of course it does to the IRS)- at any given point once you are eligible you either claim or you don't claim. Two separate issues.

You can quit and take it, quit and not take it, take it and not quit (that is not often a good choice - but they won't stop you)

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, pfife said:

A while ago I had planned to retire at 62.  I am now 60 and plan to go to 70.  Everything has changed in the last few years - some good and some bad.  The bad is that my parent's long-term care is costing me a fortune and has made me realize that you can never really have enough to retire comfortably.  The good is I can now work remotely most of the time which makes work less stressful.  Plus, I like my job for the most part.  At this point, I'd love to be in a position where I COULD retire, but I don't mind working another 10 years.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

A while ago I had planned to retire at 62.  I am now 60 and plan to go to 70.  Everything has changed in the last few years - some good and some bad.  The bad is that my parent's long-term care is costing me a fortune and has made me realize that you can never really have enough to retire comfortably.  The good is I can now work remotely most of the time which makes work less stressful.  Plus, I like my job for the most part.  At this point, I'd love to be in a position where I COULD retire, but I don't mind working another 10 years.  

I have made a definitive plan to move out of DC area at 60 and back to Michigan because the wife is ready to retire from government.  So, that gives me 5 years to figure out what I'm going to do when I return.  I can't do the same stuff I've been doing in the darkest recesses of the belly of the beast.   Which sucks because this is indeed some interesting work.  

One of my workout buddies retired at 61, kind of forced.  He could get by. Now he rides his bike 20 miles a few times a week. Helped coach a track team, plays hockey in 3 leagues.  Also drives a golf ball pickup thing on a driving range at a golf course. 

I'm planning to retire at 57, but who knows what happens in the next 20 years. Being late to the family game means I've been able to put extra away the past 5-10 years or so. Government pension too... When I crunched the numbers a couple months ago, it was feasible.