Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

22 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

And yet the SBC has voted to bar women from the pulpit (as ministers)

OTOH,  the arguing is finally over in the US United Methodist Church. As of this summer's governance meetings the two sides have agreed to go their separate ways with the conservatives "disaffiliating" from the UMC to form a new denomination to be called "Global Methodist Church" 

Woman pastors are apparently still safe in the GMC...for now.

Edited by gehringer_2

47 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

There are too many of them out there in this same situation. And here is the irony: They want to dismiss GOP-Facism as abberation instead of inevitable consequene of underlying principle, because to throw those underlying political principles overboard is to jettison the exact same kind of comfortable certitude in political understanding that French argues in his column does need to be resisted in religious understanding. 

I'm not going agree with the arguement that the god botherers who annoy us with their certainty are the same as the cult-devotees. 

15 hours ago, pfife said:

shocking a gop manufactroversy.  gasp

Seriously, does such a tape even have to exist? isn't just saying they have the tape good enough for their purposes? After all, it's not as though their loyal constituents are going to reply, "yeah, right, I'll believe it when I see it ..."

Edited by chasfh

9 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I'm not going agree with the arguement that the god botherers who annoy us with their certainty are the same as the cult-devotees. 

I see it as all a matter of degree. The human mind always wants to fit things into some kind of consistency. It's basically an analogy machine -  sorting which things do or don't match this, and if not must match up with that. On the other hand, in the physical reality in which we exist, all defined relationships breakdown at boundaries. At one end, matter completely disappeares as you zoom into fine enough grain, while at the other end the Universe itself dissolves into contradiction at the first contemplation of its boundary. Between those limits the human mind spends its time trying to put things in boxes. Nothing ever quite fits in the boxes perfectly, but some things fit much better than others, and many things do fit at least well enough to have allowed humanity to understand enough to survive up to the present. But the limits of appliation of every human concept are always still there at all the edges, waiting for the unsuspecting to fall off the edge into error and failure, and also engendering the same terror that bedeviled 15th century sailors that should they get too far away from the seas of their comfortable beliefs, they would either land themselves on dangerous terra incognita, or worse, fall off the edge of the world.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I see it as all a matter of degree. The human mind always wants to fit things into some kind of consistency. It's basically an analogy machine -  sorting which things do or don't match this, and if not must match up with that. On the other hand, in the physical reality in which we exist, all defined relationships breakdown at boundaries. At one end, matter completely disappeares as you zoom into fine enough grain, while at the other end the Universe itself dissolves into contradiction at the first contemplation of its boundary. Between those limits the human mind spends its time trying to put things in boxes. Nothing ever quite fits in the boxes perfectly, but some things fit much better than others, and many things do fit at least well enough to have allowed humanity to understand enough to survive up to the present. But the limits of appliation of every human concept are always still there at all the edges, waiting for the unsuspecting to fall off the edge into error and failure, and also engendering the same terror that bedeviled 15th century sailors that should they get too far away from the seas of their comfortable beliefs, they would either land themselves on dangerous terra incognita, or worse, fall off the edge of the world.

Profiling saves a lot of time in the investigative business. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

A plain reading of the NT would tell you that 1st person to go 'preach' about Jesus to others was the Samaritan woman at the well, who went and told her town about him -  long before he commissioned any man to do the same.

This in itself had many layers. Women were suppose to go to the well early in the morning. This interaction was at noon time. She was there then because she was an outcast Samairitan and sleeping with a man she was not married to. Jesus would be largely criticize for even speaking to her. 

Edited by Tigeraholic1

6 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

This in itself had many layers. Women were suppose to go to the well early in the morning. This interaction was at noon time. She was there then because she was an outcast Samairitan and sleeping with a man she was not married to. Jesus would be largely criticize for even speaking to her. 

Trump would have hated Jesus if he met him.  

• Thanks 1

so, the loyalty pledge if the nominee is convicted of felonies.  if the Dems can't make an ad off that which moves the needle decisively then Humanity is doomed.

[edit: irony alert...the sentence was "humanity is in trouble" but the AI grammer helper on this website finished it for me to say "is doomed"]

Edited by romad1

they can make a great ad.... but it won't have an effect. 

I wager that if you held an election today that the results would be within .09 % difference regardless of who the R nominee will eventually be in 2024.

Billions will be spent for nothing.  None of the old rules apply anymore. The "sport" of election forecasting and figuring out who's winning and losing, what things worked, didn't work... is over.  It doesn't exist anymore.

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

Good ads do have an impact.  Trump made several strategic mistakes because of ads. 

They can make an impact in the general election, but not in the Republican primaries.  The cult isn't abanding their leader for anything.    

Just now, Tiger337 said:

They can make an impact in the general election, but not in the Republican primaries.  The cult isn't abanding their leader for anything.    

Oh, well...that's all I would hope for.  The cult is dead to reason.   The last 3 elections were won by appealing to normies to apply reason to their World.   Not everyone is in a rapturous red-white n' blue, national suicide spiral with Trump. 

yeah - the world isn't what it once was advetising wise, but I think advertising can still be helpful, but the trick with ads is that while the side that makes them may see their logic as devastating, that may only be true because of what they already believe is true. That ad may run like water off a duck's back for the people whose minds it's aimed at changing. I think a lot of the Lincoln project ads from the last cycle were in that catagory.