Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

5 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Yep. Romney is fortunate in that he’s super wealthy, but what happens when normal people can’t afford this? It’s no wonder our government is so jacked up. 

My affection for Mitt is much higher than it should be.   I wanted him to be the one who sorted out MAGA through his example.  He was unable to do that.  His instincts were very right in many instances and very wrong in others.   His denunciations of MAGA and votes on impeachment were vital.  There were a few of them who put their political and actual necks on the line.   

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

If Romney had won in 2012, and ran for re-election.... Trump would have run in 2016 as a Democrat and won espousing mostly the same issues he did on the campaign.  We'd all be republicans now wondering what happened to the "Democrat" party.  

the 2012 GOP primary was when we really saw the populist entertainment wing of the GOP emerge.  They hated McCain, they were beholden to the blood and soil nationalists masquerading as Christians.  I'm so over anything having to do with that element.   That was the biggest GD circus.   

[until subsequent events proved it was not the biggest circus]

Edited by romad1

15 minutes ago, romad1 said:

the 2012 GOP primary was when we really saw the populist entertainment wing of the GOP emerge.  They hated McCain, they were beholden to the blood and soil nationalists masquerading as Christians.  I'm so over anything having to do with that element.   That was the biggest GD circus.   

[until subsequent events proved it was not the biggest circus]

Could also say that Palin in 2008 invited all of that to boil up.  Throw in the first black President and it had elements for victim status among the aggrieved.  "Look how they attached a normal housewife who's a Christan....  We got ourselves a black President, who is also Mooslim and... get this... his name is Hussein!"  It all tied together.

2008 awakened them and when they stayed home in 2012 it enabled Obama's landslide.

• Like 2

I agree it was Palin. I don't think she was ever properly vetted. She had that Mama Grizzly thing and being female was thought to help McCain against Obama. Once she hit the trail the self entitlement, me first, grifter thing came out. She hurt McCain's chances in the long run (his actions during the banking meltdown didn't help)

But the current section of the party that became Trumpers loved her.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I agree it was Palin. I don't think she was ever properly vetted. She had that Mama Grizzly thing and being female was thought to help McCain against Obama. Once she hit the trail the self entitlement, me first, grifter thing came out. She hurt McCain's chances in the long run (his actions during the banking meltdown didn't help)

But the current section of the party that became Trumpers loved her.

I still think she is the reason McCain lost. You put basically anyone else on that ticket and he wins IMHO.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I still think she is the reason McCain lost. You put basically anyone else on that ticket and he wins IMHO.

I think there were a lot of people who were upset about the US Navy's unrestricted submarine warfare campaign against Japan and blamed his father.  Oh, wait...that would be insane. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I think there were a lot of people who were upset about the US Navy's unrestricted submarine warfare campaign against Japan and blamed his father.  Oh, wait...that would be insane. 

McCain is when all the crazies came out. My Dad, a Vietnam Vet was a huge supporter of his UNTIL he sided with the left on Obamacare. They went nuts including my Dad and threw everything else he ever did out the window. I was really ashamed for that. The guy is an actual war hero who Trump and cronies spit on him just like my Dad got spit on and called a baby killer.

41 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

McCain is when all the crazies came out. My Dad, a Vietnam Vet was a huge supporter of his UNTIL he sided with the left on Obamacare. They went nuts including my Dad and threw everything else he ever did out the window. I was really ashamed for that. The guy is an actual war hero who Trump and cronies spit on him just like my Dad got spit on and called a baby killer.

TBH, my attitude toward McCain was fairly negative prior to 2008.  When he was the nominee I went with it.  I thought Palin was cool until it became evident she was not an asset to the abbey.

29 minutes ago, pfife said:

I dont think Palin was what caused him to lose, I think what played a huge part besides Obamas awesomeness was when he suspended his campaign in the financial crisis.

During the crisis Dubya invited McCain and Obama into some key meetings so that they would know what's going on since it was going to be their problem at some point.  Pelosi and other top Dems were also in the room.  Bush asked them if they had any quesitons or comments and Pelosi said Obama would speak for their side.  He did.  Then Dubya looked over at McCain who had nothing.  Dubya wasn't impressed.

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

What was "weird" about Palin was that she didn't remain in the arena after her run.  When she didn't run for the Senate or some other public service role and her daughter got all the plastic surgery and they did a reality TV show...all respect lost.

Agreed. Regardless of the background as the governor of a US state, Palin seemed to be in it for the performance art aspect of it. In that respect, she’s kind of the godmother of the Greenes and the Boeberts of today.

Tell you what, though: she was part of one of my favorite ever SNL bits.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

During the crisis Dubya invited McCain and Obama into some key meetings so that they would know what's going on since it was going to be their problem at some point.  Pelosi and other top Dems were also in the room.  Bush asked them if they had any quesitons or comments and Pelosi said Obama would speak for their side.  He did.  Then Dubya looked over at McCain who had nothing.  Dubya wasn't impressed.

People have to remember that talents are necessarily transferable. I respected McCain's service, his honor, that he was a man who did care about his country and service, and that his heart was generally near right place. I never thought he was a particularly deep political thinker, was on the opposite side from him on many policy issues. I also thought he caved on a lot his independent principles once it was the brass ring of the Presidency that he was reaching for, which was somewhat a disappointment. Least appealing was that he occasionally couldn't hide the sense of entitlement he clearly felt by being challenged by Obama. But in retrospect, he'd be even more the man among children in today's GOP.

4 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

When draft dodging p**** Trump disrespected McCain's service by saying he was not a hero, I was sure that was it for him.  What a disgrace.       

Edited by Tiger337
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Trump admitted to all of the charges in the documents case in the interview in Megyn Kelly interview last night. 

I saw that.  He is such a fool, with these self-incriminating stunts…..
although it is obvious that these interviews may kill him as far as the law is concerned, but it’s all done for the personal reason of shoring up his support among the masses. What he’s doing at this point is really contaminating the jury pool. I’m kind of surprised that the judges are still allowing him to do this ****. 

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

I saw that.  He is such a fool, with these self-incriminating stunts…..
although it is obvious that these interviews may kill him as far as the law is concerned, but it’s all done for the personal reason of shoring up his support among the masses. What he’s doing at this point is really contaminating the jury pool. I’m kind of surprised that the judges are still allowing him to do this ****. 

Wouldn’t this be one reason some people are remanded in custody while awaiting trial?