Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

26 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Re:Johnson: It amazes me that a person can get through college and law school with such deficient powers of logical analysis. If you believe in a completely interventionist/in control of everything supreme being as Johnson describes, then you can not possibly also believe in SIN, because sin requires free will and in a universe where God is pulling every string, there is no free will. It's a simple and absolute logical contradiction that any educated Greek in Athens 2500 yrs ago would have nailed in 30 seconds.

LSU law school BTW.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Anybody else see Bannon as a bit of a Rasputin. Trump needs to watch his back with that one

Absolutely. Bannon fancies himself a true revolutionary - he wants to bring down the house - and Trump is just a useful fool for him. He cares as much about Trump for Trump's sake as Trump does about his constituents for their sake's. Of course the truth is more likely he is your typical  chicken hawk revolutionary and would be the first one to run for cover (in his Gucci loafers) if anyone actually started something in his name.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Anybody else see Bannon as a bit of a Rasputin. Trump needs to watch his back with that one

Please, amplify this.  Include a cartoon of who Rasputin was.  Identify that he was stealing from the Czar the attention he deserved because the Czar was a television star with hit ratings.   Stress that even though Czar Nicholas II was super handome and liked by every women he met, Rasputin tried to be more popular and that Melania was sleeping with Rasputin because she liked Rasputin better.  Also, Czar Nicholas wasn't as rich as he claimed and would never be invited to a Met Gala. 

• Haha 2

Just now, romad1 said:

Please, amplify this.  Include a cartoon of who Rasputin was.  Identify that he was stealing from the Czar the attention he deserved because the Czar was a television star with hit ratings.   Stress that even though Czar Nicholas II was super handome and liked by every women he met, Rasputin tried to be more popular and that Melania was sleeping with Rasputin because she liked Rasputin better.  Also, Czar Nicholas wasn't as rich as he claimed and would never be invited to a Met Gala. 

Romad - I think it's a loss that you weren't around to write for 'Fractured Fairy Tales'  🤣

• Like 3

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

just amazing

Basically, I'm exhausted by all this.  If people do not see Trump for what he is at this point, I have zero patience for them as at BEST they are too stupid to function in society.  At worst, they have evil in their hearts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Re:Johnson: It amazes me that a person can get through college and law school with such deficient powers of logical analysis. If you believe in a completely interventionist/in control of everything supreme being as Johnson describes, then you can not possibly also believe in SIN, because sin requires free will and in a universe where God is pulling every string, there is no free will. It's a simple and absolute logical contradiction that any educated Greek in Athens 2500 yrs ago would have nailed in 30 seconds.

LSU law school BTW.

A person can get past a lot of logical flaws when they really want to.  Just ignore what you don't like it and push on. They are smart enough to do the required work to get the degree because they are just using that to push a theological agenda and the credentials are a necessary tool.... sort of like youth pastors listening to rock music and watching dirty movies so they could tell us which ones not to 🙂   (A discussion I had in youth group in elementary and middle school which kind of told me they were all full of ****)

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Any time something that they don't like happens, they say it's God's will.  If everything is God's will, what is the point of even trying in life?  

YUP - this attitude - fatalism justified by religion - is a terrible drag on progress in every society where it is prevalent. 

• Like 1

when they find themselves wrapped in the pretzel logic, like running into a fellow Baptist at a liquor store, they just ignore it, pretend it never happened, and move on to bashing gays or blaming women for wearing yoga pants.

7 hours ago, romad1 said:

Basically, I'm exhausted by all this.  If people do not see Trump for what he is at this point, I have zero patience for them as at BEST they are too stupid to function in society.  At worst, they have evil in their hearts. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2024 at 10:59 AM, romad1 said:

It’s why I quit political analysis type media. It doesnt matter.  The Dems and republicans are now playing in different sports. One side is trying to govern under the old system and the other is simply about grifting.  Those that did care about governing on the Republican side are retiring or losing primaries.  The two party system as we know it is over.  The republic only survives if the Dems hang on to enough seats nationally and locally to prop it up.   The Supreme Court cannot be counted on to provide balance.  If Trump wins we will start to see political assassinations and nothing will be done.  We will have crossed a threshold.  In some ways we have already. 

32 minutes ago, oblong said:

...  If Trump wins we will start to see political assassinations and nothing will be done.  We will have crossed a threshold.  In some ways we have already. 

I believe all of this... especially the bolded part.

36 minutes ago, oblong said:

It’s why I quit political analysis type media. It doesnt matter.  The Dems and republicans are now playing in different sports. One side is trying to govern under the old system and the other is simply about grifting.  Those that did care about governing on the Republican side are retiring or losing primaries.  The two party system as we know it is over.  The republic only survives if the Dems hang on to enough seats nationally and locally to prop it up.   The Supreme Court cannot be counted on to provide balance.  If Trump wins we will start to see political assassinations and nothing will be done.  We will have crossed a threshold.  In some ways we have already. 

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I believe all of this... especially the bolded part.

I stated my redline in 2016 (maybe later), that if reporters started to die.  Yeah, that would be a worry.  The more these kleptocracy people slipstream the theocracy people, the worse we are.   I'm not so worried about the excesses of the center-left party if a guy like Biden is in charge. 

I believe Hamas was pushed into attacking on Oct 7 by the Russians.  Israel’s response has pushed the left away from the Dems. In addition you have the Arab/Muslim population vowing to not support Biden. That could matter in a state like Michigan.  

there will be a marriage of convenience between the theocratic Christians and Muslims.    They got in bed with Trump, they can get in bed with Muslims too as long as they both hate enough of the same people. 

3 hours ago, oblong said:

I believe Hamas was pushed into attacking on Oct 7 by the Russians.  Israel’s response has pushed the left away from the Dems. In addition you have the Arab/Muslim population vowing to not support Biden. That could matter in a state like Michigan.  

there will be a marriage of convenience between the theocratic Christians and Muslims.    They got in bed with Trump, they can get in bed with Muslims too as long as they both hate enough of the same people. 

Yup, Biden wants the fighting over before the campaign starts in earnest.

The problem is that despite what the West thinks, Netanyahu is right about a Palestinian state. As long as the West demands that Israel agree to some new political entity on its border that is going to hold elections,  the truth is that  sooner or later that entity will vote Hamas or another movement like Hamas back into power, and so the Israeli public, who also know this, will support Netanyahu in opposing that answer. As terrible as Bibi has been and is, after 2 decades he and Likud have succeeded in  creating the exact reality on the other side that he needs/wants to justify his intransigence. 

Not that I have any clue as to what an actual solution might look like either. 100 years ago the Western powers might have set up a protectorate and ruled it with a benign but iron hand to keep the radicals suppressed until they all died out, but no western nations have the stomach for that now - either to act with the harshness required or take the inevitable casualties if they didn't.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

The people who want Hamas to win are on the side of Putin and Trump.   I get that Israel is full of Jews and its "ok" for Palestinians to hate the state of Israel.  But, the Sunni's who are funding Hamas hate the Palestinians and the Iranians (Shia) who fund Hezballah and the Houthis are in league with Putin.   F* em and all who support em.

If Biden is so concerned abut losing votes from Arab-Americans, Muslims, and the young left than he can always do what South Africa's court system is doing. If he doesn't want to take those steps he could at least call for a ceasefire, acknowledge this situation for the genocide that it is (yes, killing nearly 30,000 people of a particular ethnic group is a genocide), and place conditions in military aid to Israel.

I’m ok with not pandering to a bloc of voters as intelligent and useful as those in the hard right.  The radical left have disgraced themselves in this affair. There’s now a movement brewing in those circles that Oct 7 was either an inside job or… didn’t happen.  Gee… who does that sound like?   The hard left and hard right are two peas in a pod.   Neither group cares about the country. They can go **** themselves.