Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

The fact that so many not only fall for his act, but look up to him as a hero is what bothers me the most about MAGA.  I get why people dislike Democrats and distrust politics in general, but thinking that Dump is on their side or that he is going to fix anything is incredibly misguided.  Wanting someone llke him on your side is even worse.  

I also think a large part of it is they know all of this but are fine with it because it pisses the right people off.  

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

well, the math checks out. 

The fact that he used the thing that was bouncing around in the zeitgeist was not unusual.

OK, that's cool...

I just knew FDR had used that... I didn't make a connection to the World's Fair.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I also think a large part of it is they know all of this but are fine with it because it pisses the right people off.  

I recall when I was despairing of Romney losing to Obama that i was willfully ignorant of things I thought helped the opposition.  That is terrible as a path to decision-making but not uncommon. 

Mitt Romney... imagine thinking that a guy from the private capital world would somehow be good for Michigan just because he went to Cranbrook and his dad was governor?   He's still a decent person but he's been trained in the wrong schools to understand Michigan.

On 2/3/2024 at 1:01 PM, romad1 said:

I recall when I was despairing of Romney losing to Obama that i was willfully ignorant of things I thought helped the opposition.  That is terrible as a path to decision-making but not uncommon. 

Mitt Romney... imagine thinking that a guy from the private capital world would somehow be good for Michigan just because he went to Cranbrook and his dad was governor?   He's still a decent person but he's been trained in the wrong schools to understand Michigan.

Who would have thought the guy that said let Detroit, aka auto industry, go bankrupt would struggle in Michigan? I mean he did like our trees though. 

On 2/2/2024 at 4:33 PM, romad1 said:

I am routinely engaged in conversation by people who think i'm "like minded" with them that invariably leads to racist dialogue.  White guy in his 50s who shoots?  Yeah, but what they don't know is how much I despise their guy and their party these days. 

A buddy of mine lives just outside Knoxville, TN, has quite a gun collection, and enjoys shooting.  He is contemplating buying some property just so he can shoot somewhere without having to associate with other people who assume he's like minded. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

A buddy of mine lives just outside Knoxville, TN, has quite a gun collection, and enjoys shooting.  He is contemplating buying some property just so he can shoot somewhere without having to associate with other people who assume he's like minded. 

I have a feeling that's one of my nephew in law's attitude. We've never discussed politics. They live on farm property in rural SW Va, he's built himself a range there. He seems to like long range rifles.

On 2/2/2024 at 3:33 PM, romad1 said:

I am routinely engaged in conversation by people who think i'm "like minded" with them that invariably leads to racist dialogue.  White guy in his 50s who shoots?  Yeah, but what they don't know is how much I despise their guy and their party these days. 

That's been a pretty routine experience throughout my work career, fwiw... my politics don't exactly line up neatly on the industry I work in.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

That's been a pretty routine experience throughout my work career, fwiw... my politics don't exactly line up neatly on the industry I work in.

Frankly, when I encounter people whose politics do not marry up to their obvious exterior appearance, I am usually willing to give that person a second look.   I still cannot abide any Trump voter at this point but a Conservative who happens to be a jazz bassist?  That person might be interesting to talk to.  They are probably crazy but still. 

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

My favorite part is when they say their thing, I hesitate, they look suspiciously at me, things go quiet, and that’s the end of that. 

Was just thinking along these lines with Wayne Kramer dying. Ted Nugent had some very nice things to say about him and their history and friendship. Makes me wish Ted wasn’t the way he was because I like hearing his musical takes. 

Check out this article from Detroit Free Press:

Ted Nugent and Wayne Kramer: An unlikely friendship, forged in Detroit soul

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/brian-mccollum/2024/02/04/wayne-kramer-ted-nugent-friendship-detroit-music/72466031007/

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Frankly, when I encounter people whose politics do not marry up to their obvious exterior appearance, I am usually willing to give that person a second look.   I still cannot abide any Trump voter at this point but a Conservative who happens to be a jazz bassist?  That person might be interesting to talk to.  They are probably crazy but still. 

I mostly just avoid talking politics and just listen most of the time anymore... touching on Chas' point, I can fake it decently when I hear something cringy, but it takes practice. And a level of grace that I don't think everyone can muster, especially in this day and age and also given that I'm not a member of a disadvantaged group.

Overall, I've just come to the conclusion that while I have strong opinions (just as strong as they have always been even), I just don't have the time to dedicate to the outrage or getting into fights with people on this stuff. It's not worth the time or the energy. Happy to come here and let this be my outlet for that sort of stuff.

• Like 2

Last time I went to the local indoor range I was preparing my equipment. 4 kids I am guessing 20-25 walked in and Immediately the range smelled like a dead skunk. One of them comes to the bay next to me and I hear a clunk hit the ground. 9MM Glock 19 falls from what I assume was his waistline because as I look around the corner he is fixing his belt. I packed my stuff up and left, think I was more pissed at range for letting them in like that. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

I ran into a guy before my hike a couple of years ago.  For some reason, he assumed I was a MAGA.  He started talking about how Trump is the only one who can fix the country.  My friend who thinks Trump is nuts, but doesn't hate him as much as I do, half went along with the guy becaue he's a social person.  The guy looked at me hoping for an agreeable response.  I said nothing.  By the way,  his pickup truck was parked illegally.  

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Last time I went to the local indoor range I was preparing my equipment. 4 kids I am guessing 20-25 walked in and Immediately the range smelled like a dead skunk. One of them comes to the bay next to me and I hear a clunk hit the ground. 9MM Glock 19 falls from what I assume was his waistline because as I look around the corner he is fixing his belt. I packed my stuff up and left, think I was more pissed at range for letting them in like that. 

That right there is the correct response.  That range should not be letting people who are impaired shoot.

12 hours ago, romad1 said:

Bass player is the key. All bets off.

• Like 1