Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

8 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Texas Secessionists Working With Five Other States, Leader Says - Newsweek

Imagine what the US will look like after we level these states. 

LOL. I'd let'em go. In 30 yrs FLA and NOLA will be under water and in half of Tx it will be fatal to be outside in the noonday sun. They'll all be liabilities. No one would notice missing NH, and CA may be on their list but is not going anywhere anyway.

Edited by gehringer_2

Make sure they know that while they would likely keep military bases, they would likely need to supply weapons and personnel themselves. 

Of course I’d charge them premium rates for property.

As an aside, I’m currently reading Eric Larson’s latest Demon of Unrest. It deals with the breakup in 1861 and the attack on Fort Sumpter. So many parallels 

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Make sure they know that while they would likely keep military bases, they would likely need to supply weapons and personnel themselves. 

Of course I’d charge them premium rates for property.

As an aside, I’m currently reading Eric Larson’s latest Demon of Unrest. It deals with the breakup in 1861 and the attack on Fort Sumpter. So many parallels 

Make sure they know that all military equipment in the State of Texas will be used to restore the Union by deadly strife. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 5:13 PM, smr-nj said:

Every single day, every single time this abomination opens his mouth, more hateful, lying, disgraceful **** pours out of his lips. And what have we done? We have normalized every last ****ing bit of it. I am sick to death of him not being called out on any of the crap that he says. I am beyond appalled and disgusted by members of Congress welcoming back this traitorous, dangerous, disgusting man, back into Washington, and Cheering him.

What the hell is wrong with all of them?

More to the point -  What the hell is wrong with US?

Good lord, when do we stop accepting his daily verbal vomit as “oh, …. It’s just Trump being Trump”.

What's wrong with us?  This country is all about money.  He is being normalized because the media and the super wealthy who control the media benefit from him.    

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

What's wrong with us?  This country is all about money.  He is being normalized because the media and the super wealthy who control the media benefit from him.    

Yes… what is wrong with “us”… the American voter.

Trump, and a plethora of very unqualified, unethical, and intellectually challenged individuals are being elected by VOTERS.

We can rail against the media, but it’s the responsibility of the citizen voter to educate themselves on issues and the candidates.

8 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Trump, and a plethora of very unqualified, unethical, and intellectually challenged individuals are being elected by VOTERS.

We can rail against the media, but it’s the responsibility of the citizen voter to educate themselves on issues and the candidates.

Gullible voters who believe what the media tells them.  No doubt voters should be more educated, but most aren't.  

Edited by Tiger337

Well, I guess if we’re not going to insist that our media AND our elected officials get challenged when they’re reporting out-and-out lies, we get what we deserve.

So, yeah… I guess I’m back to my original statement- what’s wrong with US?

And for extra credit, if you really want to bring the King James Version of the Bible back to schools, or the RSV, American Standard, or whatever whitewashed version is popular these days add a few things like the Beatitudes along side the Ten Suggestions.

After all Christ did say he was bringing a new covenant and if one actually paid attention to those teachings instead of what the money grabbing  MEGA Churches teach these days..... 

• Thanks 2

I am now requiring that anyone that wants my vote should at least have a working knowledge of Civics and basic American history...i

In rebuttal I present Thomas Jefferson's Letter to Danbury Baptists.

https://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/9806/danpre.html

While Jefferson was not involved in writing the US Constitution, he did express views on the separation of church and state.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Edited by CMRivdogs
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Have any of these people ever even read the Constitution?  Or any part thereof?  Or ever taken a history class where early American government was studied? (As CMr said)

TBH a lot of this was just glossed over in Virginia's public schools back in the late 60s. We learned the basics, but for the longest time the state's 4th and 7th grade Virginia Social Studies book gave us a different view. Slaves loved their masters, the Civil War was about states rights and oh yea something about slavery. 
Most of us probably slept thru American History or Government.

We were taught to remember dates and facts, very little about why things happened or any other reasoning.

I'm way over the hill, an ancient artifact married to a History Major who specialized in mid 19th century history. Living where we do has opened up a few eyes. As I tell folks who are asking about programming at CW, there's a lot here we were never taught in Social Studies class.

It's not woke, it's fact if you spend enough brain cells to look. Most people don't.

That’s true. I learned the minimum in my Catholic grammar school.  
Learned a little more in h.s., but much of what you referred to - dates & places…

However, the one world history class I took in college, covered the French Revolution and the American Revolution (& the professor was adamant with us that the French Revolution was so much more important to world history 🙂), THaT class was worth something, because of the discussions.

I think if I could find the energy (I have free time, but not so much energy lately), I would like to audit a college level American history class.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I just checked the Osher Institute at W&M. I've been a bit reluctant to sign up for programs but now seems like a good time. The fall catalog comes out the end of July, price seems fairly reasonable. It's in person, geared for adults and particularly seniors. 
Another reason to get off the couch.

https://learnatosher.wm.edu/wm/course/course.aspx?catId=71

Wherever I might find something, here’s the thing… I’m not taking any tests, and I’m not writing any papers. Lol.😂 

I just wanna absorb. 😎

• Like 1

Harvard and MIT have quite a few courses you can audit for free, I'm sure many others as well.  Here are a few possible links or sites to check.

https://www.edx.org/learn/government/harvard-university-american-government-constitutional-foundations

https://www.classcentral.com/tag/constitutional-law

This one is on the US Revolution, not directly related to what you seem interested in, but I found it while digging these up and plan on watching this.   youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeCFWdLZpnW97PCYqTm4e37ush6xgnJ_G 

https://online.hillsdale.edu/landing/intro-to-the-constitution?utm_medium=search_paid&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=online_courses_dsa_oc&utm_term=&utm_id=692119507807&utm_content=oc_course&gclid=CjwKCAjwydSzBhBOEiwAj0XN4Gpx5aGGkgQpDHBdf2FqmSSMdcUGF5r5y6g3EKHHCiiUw7CSxILQEhoC594QAvD_BwE

https://www.coursera.org/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, smr-nj said:

But we already know voters are not going to do anything that deviates from the path of least resistance, so, then what?