Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

13 hours ago, oblong said:

I really think these kinds of “attacks” reached their sell by date. People are not responsive to them anymore. All it does is reinforce them to be crazy and weird. 

That might be true, although I do wonder whether its effectiveness can benefit from message pulsing: focus on the original message until people are saturated with it, pause that message for a while and focus on some other message, then come back to the original message after a planned period of time at which point it will have impact again. We used that strategy in advertising media all the time.

• Thanks 1

I am doubtful that drag queen outrage is what’s going to bring the fascists back into power this November. I feel as though anyone who would vote on that basis is already in the fold, and that anyone who didn’t care about it before would be motivated by the tweet above to vote Trump.

12 hours ago, oblong said:

IMG_9172.jpeg

When this topic started coming up yesterday, on a lark, I put together a decision tree in PowerPoint—first one I've ever done anywhere—and now this gives me the opportunity to bust it out.RacistNotaRacist.thumb.jpg.66bf63b6f6b37976dffe84b3497a5e31.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I am doubtful that drag queen outrage is what’s going to bring the fascists back into power this November. I feel as though anyone who would vote on that basis is already in the fold, and that anyone who didn’t care about it before would be motivated by the tweet above to vote Trump.

No - the cultural/religious base still anchors on abortion. Just because they have found themselves on the losing end in several state referenda doesn't mean the energy around the issue on the anti side has gone away and for the anti-abortion voter facism and/or a blown up economy are trivial concerns-they don't move the needle. Those voters aren't going to be peeled from the GOP short of Armageddon. And that's sort of the interesting thing, because the allegiance there is actually to the legislative GOP and they only care about the Presidency as far as court appointments go. Trump is personally very soft on abortion, and everyone knows it, but it doesn't matter to the AntAb voter because they know he will make his appointment from the Federalist Soc short list regardless.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

No - the cultural/religious base still anchors on abortion. Just because they have found themselves on the losing end in several state referenda doesn't mean the energy around the issue on the anti side has gone away and for the anti-abortion voter facism and/or a blown up economy are trivial concerns-they don't move the needle. Those voters aren't going to be peeled from the GOP short of Armageddon. And that's sort of the interesting thing, because the allegiance there is actually to the legislative GOP and they only care about the Presidency as far as court appointments go. Trump is personally very soft on abortion, and everyone knows it, but it doesn't matter to the AntAb voter because they know he will make his appointment from the Federalist Soc short list regardless.

Yes sir, non maga repubs will never move to supporting abortion. However most will agree that rape, incest and other evil like that SHOULD be allowed to abort. That parts is common sense. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Yes sir, non maga repubs will never move to supporting abortion. However most will agree that rape, incest and other evil like that SHOULD be allowed to abort. That parts is common sense. 

So it’s not about sanctity of life after all. Good to know. 

Edited by chasfh

43 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

👏

meh - He may be right as a matter of political calculus for his community, but so what? The staging is silly, but if you are a Christian it's no skin off your nose. If they don't feel any respect for those images, who cares? It doesn't impact you at all in terms of your rights or freedoms in the US. If your community doesn't garner respect in the wider society, it's not because of silly people like this, those problems are a lot deeper and they are in house. When you start telling people who they owe deference not to make fun of, you're on your way to the Islamic Republic. If you are gay in America you still have plenty of reason feel much of the 'organized' Church could stand to brought down a peg or two.

Victimhood is so attractive to modern Christians.  They can’t get enough of it.   I take their fake outrage as just an extension of their bigotry towards the people in the portrayal. 

36 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

meh - He may be right as a matter of political calculus for his community, but so what? The staging is silly, but if you are a Christian it's no skin off your nose. If they don't feel any respect for those images, who cares? It doesn't impact you at all in terms of your rights or freedoms in the US. If your community doesn't garner respect in the wider society, it's not because of silly people like this, those problems are a lot deeper and they are in house. When you start telling people who they owe deference not to make fun of, you're on your way to the Islamic Republic. If you are gay in America you still have plenty of reason feel much of the 'organized' Church could stand to brought down a peg or two.

However if this was an attack on Muslims like showing Mohamed as a gay weirdo then there would be riots all over the world and you all know it.