Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

40 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Yeah. Sometimes, when someone has a stupid-ass idea, a sane person needs to step up and say “No. Just…. no.” 

Instead they scream victimhood if you speak out against it. You take it and like it or you are the enemy. 

2 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

However if this was an attack on Muslims like showing Mohamed as a gay weirdo then there would be riots all over the world and you all know it. 

Correct, but that is the whole point isn't it, people who would kill over their private definition of blasphemy are exactly the people we don't want to be aren't they? Christianity historically has a mixed record on the issue of intellectual freedom. Post enlightenment Protestantism and even parts of post reformation Catholocism (e.g Jesuits) have been pretty good on the issue but you'd have to admit that is more the exception than the norm over 2 millennia. The Greeks first gave us the concept and they were pagans - so no current religion really can claim it as their idea.

22 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

However if this was an attack on Muslims like showing Mohamed as a gay weirdo then there would be riots all over the world and you all know it. 

That says more about Muslims.  

13 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Instead they scream victimhood if you speak out against it. You take it and like it or you are the enemy. 

Eh.  I don’t see it that way.    🤷‍♀️ 

21 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

This sums up the problems with the right wing take on culture. You either have to love it or hate it, rather than just accept some differences and move on and ignore it if it’s not your cup of tea. Nobody forced or expects Christians to have to “like” it. The world doesnt revolve around them. Christianity was not attacked by that.  Only snowflakes are offended by it or people that just want to bitch about stuff because they lead miserable lives and want everyone else miserable too.   But it makes a great fundraising opportunity for the professional grifters so expect some Huckabee commercials coming soon on Fox News.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

👀

IMG_3350.jpeg

People were not truly offended.  They are just looking to pick a cultural fight because it’s good for business.  I’m sure at the real last supper they were not seated that way. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oblong said:

People were not truly offended.  They are just looking to pick a cultural fight because it’s good for business.  I’m sure at the real last supper they were not seated that way. 

I am glad you know people were not offended. I feel so much better knowing that. 

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

There are always people who are fundamentally in opposition to "western liberal" values who will none-the-less try to abuse them to gain whatever advantages they are seeking in or against Western Society, and it's something we just have to recognize and deal with without throwing the baby out with the bath water.

By the way I saw this explanation that it wasn’t even meant to be “about” the last supper. I don’t care enough about it to research but as it is with most art people see what they want because they want to convey a certain reaction.  

IMG_9210.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, oblong said:

By the way I saw this explanation that it wasn’t even meant to be “about” the last supper. I don’t care enough about it to research but as it is with most art people see what they want because they want to convey a certain reaction.  

IMG_9210.png

To quote our friend Chaz. Who the F is Marla Francis and why should I care?

33 minutes ago, oblong said:

IMG_9210.png

Tbh, I’ve seen depictions of Baccanalia and I’ve seen multiple western art depictions of the last supper and to argue the first impression of that graphic anyone would have is not a take on the last supper is simply disingenuous, regardless of what it’s executors claimed. That said, I don’t really care either way!

• Thanks 1

Is it assumed to be the last supper because a bunch of people are on one side of a table?   Seems to me like if you are framing a group at a feast than you want their faces shown.  What makes it the last supper isn’t the way they are sitting. It’s who is in the picture.  I didn’t see a Jesus in France.  

• Haha 1

So much of the opening ceremony isn't for me. No biggie. I wish others had that attitude.

I was at a party last night with some friends, some of whom I've grown apart from the last few years due to their outward MAGAness getting in the way of things and my willingness to call people out for harming the public in 2020-21.

Anyways, one had plenty to say when Palastine and Ukraine came across. "Give them more money! They don't have enough of our money" one said. It's one I've venting to @oblong about, and if you are facebook friends with me and saw the pic from the minor league hockey game earlier this year who decided to flip off the camera, because family values.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

So much of the opening ceremony isn't for me. No biggie. I wish others had that attitude.

Same. The culture war stuff is pointless, the last two pages of this thread prove it.

But choosing to fight it and argue it over and over again is a choice. Really, it has no bearing on any of our lives.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Is it assumed to be the last supper because a bunch of people are on one side of a table?   Seems to me like if you are framing a group at a feast than you want their faces shown.  What makes it the last supper isn’t the way they are sitting. It’s who is in the picture.  I didn’t see a Jesus in France.  

I would say it's the last supper because it's a table, it's 12 around a central character, and the geometry directly evokes several well known "last suppers" such as DaVinci and Dali. And that is what I got from it on first impression 100% before I even read the post. Baccanalia were outdoor affairs as much as indoor. You might depict your participants actually eating or drinking, a satyr or faun or two is a nice add and those folks all have too many clothes on......  :classic_wink: