Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Same. The culture war stuff is pointless, the last two pages of this thread prove it.

But choosing to fight it and argue it over and over again is a choice. Really, it has no bearing on any of our lives.

Yes this. Like I said I don't care, but I find the it irritating when people try to backfill their way out what they clearly did - even whether they meant or not. And don't call the viewers the unsophisticated ones here. If they didn't mean what people took it for, it would be that those who created it were ignorant of the existing western art canon they were evoking.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I guess Monty Python's Life of Brian is now banned by the Righteous Right 

They would no doubt prefer to. But Cleese and the crew have always been completely up front about what they were doing. Cleese even debated the Archbishop of Canterbury on a talk show after the movie came out.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It’s the People’s Front of Judea.  

No, not those wankers. The judean people’s front. 

life of Brian made fun of radicals. But the religious critics are too stupid to realize it. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I would say it's the last supper because it's a table, it's 12 around a central character, and the geometry directly evokes several well known "last suppers" such as DaVinci and Dali. And that is what I got from it on first impression 100% before I even read the post. Baccanalia were outdoor affairs as much as indoor. You might depict your participants actually eating or drinking, a satyr or faun or two is a nice add and those folks all have too many clothes on......  :classic_wink:

there’s 17 people in the Paris photo.  And no food.  Isn’t food a requirement for a supper?  It’s just 17 people facing the viewer at a table?  Did Da Vinci corner the market on all subjects facing the viewer?  

17 minutes ago, oblong said:

there’s 17 people in the Paris photo.  And no food.  Isn’t food a requirement for a supper?  It’s just 17 people facing the viewer at a table?  Did Da Vinci corner the market on all subjects facing the viewer?  

The blue guy bro he was the sandwich! You living under a rock or just trolling?

IMG_3353.jpeg

6 hours ago, oblong said:

Victimhood is so attractive to modern Christians.  They can’t get enough of it.   I take their fake outrage as just an extension of their bigotry towards the people in the portrayal. 

Christians have a persecution complex because Christianity itself is predicated on a very basic persecution origin story.

5 hours ago, oblong said:

This sums up the problems with the right wing take on culture. You either have to love it or hate it, rather than just accept some differences and move on and ignore it if it’s not your cup of tea. Nobody forced or expects Christians to have to “like” it. The world doesnt revolve around them. Christianity was not attacked by that.  Only snowflakes are offended by it or people that just want to bitch about stuff because they lead miserable lives and want everyone else miserable too.   But it makes a great fundraising opportunity for the professional grifters so expect some Huckabee commercials coming soon on Fox News.  

I’m pretty sure that Christians believe that both the world and the afterworld revolve around them. They have an entire master plan for both that’s in wide distribution. You probably have it lying somewhere around the house.

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Christians have a persecution complex because Christianity itself is predicated on a very basic persecution origin story.

That doesn't really hold. The religious story has been the same since the nation's founding along but the persecution complex on the part of the political right wing of US Christianity at the outside might be dated to losing Roe v Wade but really didn't start getting traction until the Bush years. So it doesn't follow from first principles - it derives from the GOP's invention of the culture war and the realization on the part of the conservative movement that selling persecution is their most effective fund raising strategy (for both the pulpit and the political side) to people who would be otherwise uninterested in politics. Or, long story short, it's the product of concerted political marketing.

The other aspect historically, is that while Rome persecuted the early Christians, it was the Christians that ultimately emerged in control of the empire, so there is an equally strong streak of triumphalism to balance any sense of persecution.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oblong said:

By the way I saw this explanation that it wasn’t even meant to be “about” the last supper. I don’t care enough about it to research but as it is with most art people see what they want because they want to convey a certain reaction.  

IMG_9210.png

“If some of you weren’t so busy trying to end the Department of Education, you might know this!” 💀💀💀

3 hours ago, smr-nj said:

He might be in Mexico at the moment.

(I’m sorry…. I just couldn’t let that sit there.)😁

I have it on good authority that Jesus just left Chicago, and he’s bound for New Orleeeeeans …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

That doesn't really hold. The religious story has been the same since the nation's founding along but the persecution complex on the part of the political right wing of US Christianity at the outside might be dated to losing Roe v Wade but really didn't start getting traction until the Bush years. So it doesn't follow from first principles - it derives from the GOP's invention of the culture war and the realization on the part of the conservative movement that selling persecution is their most effective fund raising strategy (for both the pulpit and the political side) to people who would be otherwise uninterested in politics. Or, long story short, it's the product of concerted political marketing.

The other aspect historically, is that while Rome persecuted the early Christians, it was the Christians that ultimately emerged in control of the empire, so there is an equally strong streak of triumphalism to balance any sense of persecution.

G with the body blow! 

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Deflection after deflection….