Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

11 minutes ago, Archie said:

Why should we wait for an attack on the scale of 9/11 before do something?  These people that want to do bad things need to get in the country and its well known thats its easy to through the southern border.  

If someone is planning something large scale like 9/11, a wall is not going to stop them.  A wall doesn't stop anyone who really wants to get here.  It's a waste of money.  

For some reason some of you think lack of national security is a joke.  I don't think any of the people that have lost family members to first attack on the WTC or 9/11 attacks think its funny.  You're more worried about a a few back woods Trump supporters at the Capitol than Islamic terrorists setting off a nuclear weapon in a major US city.  Like I said before if it hits home with you, (and I truly hope it doesn't) maybe you will think differently.  I would rather be proactive instead of reactive and I don't care about hurting the feeling of foreigners including those on the northern border if it makes our country safer. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Archie said:

For some reason some of you think lack of national security is a joke.  I don't think any of the people that have lost family members to first attack on the WTC or 9/11 attacks think its funny.  You're more worried about a a few back woods Trump supporters at the Capitol than Islamic terrorists setting off a nuclear weapon in a major US city.  Like I said before if it hits home with you, (and I truly hope it doesn't) maybe you will think differently.  I would rather be proactive instead of reactive and I don't care about hurting the feeling of foreigners including those on the northern border if it makes our country safer. 

In the 20 years since 9/11, over 200,000 people have been killed by guns. 0 people have been killed by terrorist walking across the border. You're literally offering a solution for something that has never happened. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

over 200,000 people have been killed by guns

that is actually pretty much in line with the total estimated dead from all the atomic attacks (2 by the US) in world history, and that has been 75 yrs. By 75 yrs we will have killed >600,000 with guns. 

Well, that is less than Covid, and since Covid's apparently not a problem, I guess guns aren't either. 

#culturegoneinsane

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Archie said:

I’m more likely to be shot by some crazy right winger at the grocery store then I am in a “terrorist” attack… which is just code for a Muslim doing something. 

38 minutes ago, oblong said:

I’m more likely to be shot by some crazy right winger at the grocery store then I am in a “terrorist” attack… which is just code for a Muslim doing something. 

Yes, and even if that Muslim had done something, he would not have crossed the land border from Mexico.  That's preposterous.  He would have entered the USA the easy way, by direct flight, just like last time.

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why would the terrorist then not just enter through Canada? 

Canada has strong immigration laws which helps keep terrorists out of their country, thus they can't get to ours.

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

In the 20 years since 9/11, over 200,000 people have been killed by guns. 0 people have been killed by terrorist walking across the border. You're literally offering a solution for something that has never happened. 

Legit point, although I'd argue many would argue a white mass shooter is a terrorists, which I wouldn't really disagree with, but that also means more than 0 people have been killed by terrorist walking across the border.  The numbers show illegal immigrants account for lower criminal rates, but it's also a group that shouldn't be here at all and should be an easier fix.  Again, point taken that there are other issues which would deal with a larger percentage of the issue though.

51 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Canada has strong immigration laws which helps keep terrorists out of their country, thus they can't get to ours.

As a matter of fact ewsieg, after 9/11 the US complained bitterly to the Canadians that their asylum processes were much too liberal and did not sufficiently protect the US, and in view of that fact stopped allowing low security passage back into the US from Canada. This of course was damaging to Canadian cross boarder commerce and in retaliation (one of many) the Canadians closed Canada to easy entry by American workers who previously had been able to cross the border freely on a short term basis for their trans-national employers. I was such a traveling consultant and as a result of this little tit-for-tat actually had to apply for a Canadian alien work permit, which was, after much bureaucratic exercise and legal fees paid, duly stapled inside my passport, both of which I was now required to present to enter Canada to do a day or two of technical consulting when previously I could simply cross the border with nothing more than my ID and a  "howdy" to the Canadian customs officer.

It took a number of years of wrangling to improve the situation somewhat, though still well short of where it was in 2000.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Legit point, although I'd argue many would argue a white mass shooter is a terrorists, which I wouldn't really disagree with, but that also means more than 0 people have been killed by terrorist walking across the border.  The numbers show illegal immigrants account for lower criminal rates, but it's also a group that shouldn't be here at all and should be an easier fix.  Again, point taken that there are other issues which would deal with a larger percentage of the issue though.

Canada has taken in thousands of Middle Eastern refugees and has vastly more Arabs and Muslims than Mexico. The odds of a Middle Eastern terrorist entering the US would be much higher on the Canadian border than the Mexican border. The fact is, one hasn't entered the US through either border. The argument is being made for tighter security on the Mexican border because a terrorist, most likely Muslim or Arab, will just walk across the border. That isn't even an issue. It's prioritizing imaginary crimes and fear mongering. The same people who have this concern of terrorists walking across the border don't always share that concern for the northern border. It's just a diversion for their real concern. 

From the C-Span calls today to AC Thompson, it sounds like a big thing on the right now re: Jan 6th is "Pelosi was in charge of security".

Put aside the obvious notion "you didn't protect the capitol well enough from the people we think are freedom fighters" as a criticism makes no sense (sense literally doesn't matter)

but she is not solely responsible for security of the capitol - cocaine mitch is also equally responsible and narry a single mention of him by any callers *or the moderator* when Pelosi is bashed for this.  

One caller claimed she didn't call National Guard, and another said that's not in her authority, but other than that, the narrative that Pelosi failed on that day is being repeated without challenge.