What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

Posted (edited)

I listen to music in a strange way,  always listening what might fit on the radio and I rarely ever just listen to a whole album anymore.   Always on the hunt for the next great song or on the hunt for the perfect older song to put next to it.    But I can't get enough of the new Lemon Twigs album "A Dream Is All I Know".   60's and 70's style AM radio pop brought back to life.   These guys are great.       They wear their influences on their sleeve (and I am fine with that, they don't deny it like Greta Van Fleet did at first).  Much of the album is a love letter to Brian Wilson, who wasn't afraid to challenge the listener, which always makes music more compelling (and it's why commercial country sucks).   This is Byrds/Teenage Fanclub/Big Star here and I love all three of those artists.   If you listen to current pop and country radio, the art of the harmony (and melody) is lost.    Not with these brothers.  

(If I am forced to listen to a Top 40 station these days - like in a waiting room or store - the lack of melody and harmony and repetitive nature of it gives me a headache). 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I listen to music in a strange way,  always listening what might fit on the radio and I rarely ever just listen to a whole album anymore.   Always on the hunt for the next great song or on the hunt for the perfect older song to put next to it.    But I can't get enough of the new Lemon Twigs album "A Dream Is All I Know".   60's and 70's style AM radio pop brought back to life.   These guys are great.       They wear their influences on their sleeve (and I am fine with that, they don't deny it like Greta Van Fleet did at first).  Much of the album is a love letter to Brian Wilson, who wasn't afraid to challenge the listener, which always makes music more compelling (and it's why commercial country sucks).   This is Byrds/Teenage Fanclub/Big Star here and I love all three of those artists.   If you listen to current pop and country radio, the art of the harmony (and melody) is lost.    Not with these brothers.  

(If I am forced to listen to a Top 40 station these days - like in a waiting room or store - the lack of melody and harmony and repetitive nature of it gives me a headache). 

yup - Roger McGuinn's 12 string and America's voicing, but their sense of rhythm needs work -  boring.

Related: I've read the studio used session men on the Byrd's first recording work because they didn't believe McGuinn could play the guitar.... LOL

Edited by gehringer_2

I listen to the Drew Lane Show (former Drew and Mike Podcast) and they have a guy that does Top Ten "X" where X is some specific type of song, like Top Ten songs with a false ending.  Seeing the Old 97's and the first thought I had was "what about a top ten bands that everyone knows, but never made it big"

They have been such a solid band for so long, had songs in movies, a handful of top 10's.

Unrelated, it's usually the Friday show (comes out Thursday night) and you can find a timestamp for when it starts in the show notes if you don't care to listen to the show but want to listen to this segment.  Often it leads to some great music discussions. 

55 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

7 years ago today

RIP Legend

A friend of mine was at the Fox show and is photographed fist bumping him as he walked off the stage. He was able to contact the photographer to get a print of it to frame for his house. So sad. Not long after that he’s gone.  He texted me after the show. He only got one ticket so I couldn’t go.  I went to bed.  In the morning I saw he was gone. So surreal. 

this song was my favorite of the entire era and movement and they wer  my favorite band. More so than blackhole sun. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 2:46 PM, chasfh said:

Sounds mostly like standard-issue rock and roll to me ...

Old 97s are somewhere between country and rock, though they probably lean more rock. They really fit into both the alt-country an\d country-rock classifications at times. They aren't George Jones if that's the barometer your using for a country sound. They're more Jason Isbell before Jason Isbell was a thing.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a great morning for 80 year old Steve 
Miller.  

Eminem dropped the first single from his new album and its a full sample of Abracadbra complete with the “I’m gonna reach out and grab ya” chorus as the main hook.    That should pay very well for the Space Cowboy. 

I’d link the song here but the lyrics would probably get me a ban if I posted it. 

• Like 1

What am I listening to? Dave Mason!!  And his band.IMG_4081.thumb.jpeg.f6bae24f84d3af1ff8b3e83bd249e8bc.jpeg

At a small venue in Newton NJ - farm country….

His audience’s age probably averaged out to mid-70’s, I’d think. 😁 Lots of gray mullets on the men, too-high espadrilles on a smattering of women, the rest in sneakers, crocs, sandals.

Dave looks and sounds great, and can definitely still rock out.

Fun night. Definitely raised my spirits and made me feel like a 20-something for a few hours.

• Like 4

My two Sunday night radio shows will be airing their 1,000th episode this Sunday.   Never aired a rerun, never missed a show since April 24, 2005. 

Under The Radar 7-9  -  We'll be playing a track from my Pick Of The Year albums from 2005-2023 and a few from when I had other similar shows before this one

Sonic Bliss 9-Midnight -   I will be counting down my 37 favorite chillout tracks (Trip Hop, Dream Pop, World Grooves).  Couldn't fit 40 songs in 3 hours. 

annarbors107one.com    (107.1 in Washtenaw, Western Wayne and SW Oakland county)

thisisqmusic.com    (94.5 in Grand Rapids/Muskegon and a big chunk of West Michigan)  

Can't believe we've been on for 1,000 weeks !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think sometimes when someone has "soft rock" hits they lose points.  Or maybe because they didn't dress flashy or have big hair they kind of get pushed aside a little.   Phil Collins gets made fun of, but he was an outstanding technical drummer.  He wasn't flashy, but he was really good (back when he still played).     Steve Lukather is an amazing guitarist, but because Toto wasn't a metal or hard rock band, he doesn't get mentioned enough.    Graham Maby is a great bass player, but he looks like a regular guy. 

And Lindsay Buckingham will always be underappreciated.      Never Going Back Again is not overdubbed.  That's him playing it live.   

And this.........I mean,  this     Someone give this guy his props

• 2 weeks later...

Saw AJR with my daughter last night, she absolutely loved it and I was thoroughly entertained as well.  Quite a production for a band that I would have never thought could fill LCA.  

13 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Saw AJR with my daughter last night, she absolutely loved it and I was thoroughly entertained as well.  Quite a production for a band that I would have never thought could fill LCA.  

You are like the 5th person i know who went to that concert. Quite the following.