What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

God dammit, this one sucks. Kristofferson was one of the very best songwriters of all time. The stories and poems he told through song sang to the joy, hardship, love, pain, and struggles of real life. Perhaps the greatest storyteller in modern American music in line with the late Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Jason Isbell, EmmyLou Harris, and an elite few others. RIP!

On the Ken Burns Country Music doc they spend a lot of time on Kris and Bobby McGee in particular. He was hanging around the studio doing janitorial work and the bosses didn't want him hanging around the studio. Johnny liked him for some reason and told him to stay.   After he started writing songs Fred Foster, the owner of Monument Records suggested a song with a title based on a secretary there, Bobby McKee.  Kris mishead it and wrote it as McGee.  He gave Foster a writing credit for coming up with the name.  Roger Miller recorded it and it didn't do much.  When Joplin recorded it, and died before it's release, Kristofferson said "After that I never had to work again".   Kris was a Rhoades Scholar and english lit guy.  The song is based on a Fellini movie for God's sake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

One of the best for sure, RIP. Who from the Outlaw country scene are left? Will Nelson and David Allan Coe come to mind.

Waylon's ex-wife Jessi Colter is still around too. But there aren't many left. We're gonna lose Willie in the coming years too and that's really gonna suck.

I never saw his verison of Star is Born but I did see the Bradley Cooper/Lady Gaga incarnation.  I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.  Lukas Nelson helped with the music and he and his band are Cooper's band in the movie.  

I don't know if it's true, Kris said he didn't remember it but he forgets things (He was misdiagnosed with Alzheimer's and Dementia and it was Lyme Disease) but his wife remembrs things and she relayed it.

I'd like to think it's true.  He also "rescued" Sinead O'Conner when she was getting booed at a Dylan tribute not long after her infamous SNL appearance.

• Thanks 1