NFL Draft Night - As It Happens.

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

They have very little high end talent at LB and DB.   Almost none of it is young.   You need these positions to win.   WR is arguably one of their deeper positions on the Lions with AmonRa, Reynolds, Chark, Cephus.   There are so many holes on the defense that I would’ve preferred to fill some instead of trading extra picks for another WR

They traded one 3rd round pick for Williams. I wouldn't say WR is deep either. Cephus? Really? Except for St brown, they're all on one or two year deals. This is a passing league and you get a HR hitter and game breaker. They'll still likely get a defensive player at 46. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They traded one 3rd round pick for Williams. I wouldn't say WR is deep either. Cephus? Really? Except for St brown, they're all on one or two year deals. This is a passing league and you get a HR hitter and game breaker. They'll still likely get a defensive player at 46. 

I’m interested to see who they get and if they even pick ar 46 but there is a drop off in  trading back from 34 to 46.  It’s not as inconsequential as you are making it out to be.  

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

I’m interested to see who they get and if they even pick ar 46 but there is a drop off in  trading back from 34 to 46.  It’s not as inconsequential as you are making it out to be.  

Conversely, I don't think the drop off from 34 to 46 is as big as you are making it out to be. Especially when the opportunity was there to get a Tyreek Hill type talent. I'll take that over getting the next Delmas and Tulloch. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Conversely, I don't think the drop off from 34 to 46 is as big as you are making it out to be. Especially when the opportunity was there to get a Tyreek Hill type talent. I'll take that over getting the next Delmas and Tulloch. 

How would you have felt had they made the trade  and picked Hamilton instead of Williams?   

22 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

They have very little high end talent at LB and DB.   Almost none of it is young.   You need these positions to win.   WR is arguably one of their deeper positions on the Lions with AmonRa, Reynolds, Chark, Cephus.   There are so many holes on the defense that I would’ve preferred to fill some instead of trading extra picks for another WR

Our DBs are almost exclusively young:

Walker is the old man at 27.  Harris 26, Jacobs 24, Melifonwu 23, Okudah 23, Oruwariye 26, Price 24.  They need a safety and a LB.  But the young part doesnt line up.  

3 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Our DBs are almost exclusively young:

Walker is the old man at 27.  Harris 26, Jacobs 24, Melifonwu 23, Okudah 23, Oruwariye 26, Price 24.  They need a safety and a LB.  But the young part doesnt line up.  

Oruwariye and Walker are the only ones that I would consider high end talent.   Possibly Melafonwu

Edited by Hongbit

29 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

What wins in the NFL these days? Explosive offenses that can put up a ton of points. I get your concern about defense and share it to an extent. I used to be in the defense wins championships camp, but that simply isn't true anymore. Look at all the teams that made a conference championships this past season, 3 of the 4 were top 10 scoring offenses in the league. In 2020 I believe all 4 conference championship teams were in the top 10 in scoring. Offense wins championships in the NFL and they are loading up on offensive talent and lineman who can block and give that talent time to operate. Honestly, while I would probably draft one of the best defensive players available at #46, I would not be surprised if the pick was Kenneth Walker or Breece Hall.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

the lions have receivers, but none of them are any good except st brown.

my issue with williams is the injury.  i know acls arent what they used to be, but he just tore it and you dont know how he's going to come back or if it means he might tear it again, or overcompensate and injure his other leg, or shy away from contact now that he's been injured.  you just dont know.

but if he comes back 100% it was probably a good pick.

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They traded one 3rd round pick for Williams. I wouldn't say WR is deep either. Cephus? Really? Except for St brown, they're all on one or two year deals. This is a passing league and you get a HR hitter and game breaker. They'll still likely get a defensive player at 46

Doubt they take a lb at 46, most likely a db. TE is a bigger need than anyone is stating with all the two TE sets they run, and the fact that if Hock goes down, they are screwed, but 46 may be a tad early unless it is McBride.

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

How would you have felt had they made the trade  and picked Hamilton instead of Williams?   

I wouldn't have liked it as much as the Williams pick. Not sure what this has to do about anything. Let's just say, I would draft the guy that torched Georgia's defense than draft the guys that got torched. 

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What wins in the NFL these days? Explosive offenses that can put up a ton of points. I get your concern about defense and share it to an extent. I used to be in the defense wins championships camp, but that simply isn't true anymore. Look at all the teams that made a conference championships this past season, 3 of the 4 were top 10 scoring offenses in the league. In 2020 I believe all 4 conference championship teams were in the top 10 in scoring. Offense wins championships in the NFL and they are loading up on offensive talent and lineman who can block and give that talent time to operate.

What wins in the NFL is a suoerstar QB leading a high end offense.    The Lions have Jared Goff 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

And yet Jared Goff has won. 

lol.  jared goff has also lost, gotten benched, and then fired.

and his replacement won the super bowl.

goff is an adequate qb and a fine placeholder until they can hopefully find a better replacement, but he's not a good starting nfl qb.  come on.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

if the lions took a non malik willis qb, would you be pissed?

if they traded up to get willis, would you be pissed?

I wouldn't say pissed but I wouldn't care for either move. I'm kind of intrigued to draft Willis at 46 if he's available but not as a future QB but more of a Taysom Hill type with the potential of being the future QB. The Lions could also be trend setters by going to a more college type system of playing different QBs. It probably wouldn't work but it would be an interesting experiment. 

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

None of those beaten up guys left the field on a cart.   

Had Williams not left on a cart, he wouldn't have been available. Even a 90% Williams can probably blow the top off of most defenses. The Lions need playmakers. They still have a 2nd round pick to boot with the guy who has made a living drafting good players in the middle rounds. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

quality receiving in total doesn't look bad when you add Swift (62 catches in '21) plus Hockenson & St. B & Williams to the mix.

Edited by gehringer_2