NFL Draft Night - As It Happens.

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Most of the media is gushing a about the Lions draft (and the New York teams, rightfully so) so that means only one thing... that Hutchinson and Williams will bust.

If you are looking at the just the picks and not the big picture then it’s a great draft.  I don’t hate the picks either   They got two good players.   I’d have gone another direction instead of Willams  

Edited by Hongbit

21 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Linebacker, linebacker, safety, another cb.

They signed DJ Chark to fill the exact role you described.  

We also don’t know if Amon-Ra could play outside full time but I bet he could if they chose to use him that way.  

Williams is great for down the road but they aren’t there yet.  Especially with Jared Goff at QB.   This team is still 2 years away from being good at a minimum.  

Linebacker isn't that great a need, the majority of the time they're in a nickel or dime. Believe it or not, they like their current backers.

Is a high end speed WRreally a big deal when Jared Goff is your QB?    I don’t think so but you know what they signed Chark so we will see that on a smaller scale that maybe it does make a big difference in the offense and they can go this route next year.   

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

If you are looking at the just the picks and not the big picture then it’s a great draft.  I don’t hate the picks either   They got two good players.   I’d have gone another direction instead of Willams  

That's fair and your point about finding good receivers lower in the draft is a valid one but Williams has special talent. He's a taller, thinner Tyreke Hill basically. The separation he gains on the regular is incredible and he did this against high level NFL talent, just shredded Georgia when he played them. You have a chance to get premier talent like that, you go get him.

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's weird to me the same person who thinks it's a luxury for this team to trade up and get Williams is the same one who was more than willing to trade 32 and 34 for Deebo and give him a big contract.

Different circumstance with a unique player and opportunity to get him in his prime that you only get once.   

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Is a high end speed WRreally a big deal when Jared Goff is your QB?    I don’t think so but you know what they signed Chark so we will see that on a smaller scale that maybe it does make a big difference in the offense and they can go this route next year.   

Certainly. When he had one in Brandin Cooks, Cooks put one of the best years of his career. A guy who get separation is exactly what Goff needs. He isn't a gun slinger like Stafford who can thread the needle. I mean, it's not like a rookie replacement won't be able to use him. 

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Thankfully you’re not in charge. Big picture, this was exactly what they needed. But go on about the imaginary hall of fame player at 66. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Certainly. When he had one in Brandin Cooks, Cooks put one of the best years of his career. A guy who get separation is exactly what Goff needs. He isn't a gun slinger like Stafford who can thread the needle. I mean, it's not like a rookie replacement won't be able to use him. 

That Goff doesn’t exist anymore except in your memories.   

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

They desperately needed someone who can stretch the defense, it opens up everything, doesn't matter who your quarterback is.

6 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Thankfully you’re not in charge. Big picture, this was exactly what they needed. But go on about the imaginary hall of fame player at 66. 

Steelers WR Dionte Johnson and Redskins RB Antonio Gibson were both taken at 66.  Two pretty good players

51 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This draft reminds of when my wife bought the ridiculous Dyson vacuum because it was on sale for $100 off.  The thing still cost $450.  She insisted it was a great deal.  We could’ve bought so many other things that we needed which were more important for our house with that money but she got distracted by the great deal and the  shiny new object.  

Side note in what In may be a good sign for the Lions, turns out the Dyson is amazing and works a million times better than our previous vacuum.   I’m not sure it’s worth the price but the outrageous purchase definitely grew on me.  

LOL - we thought we were crazy when we bought the Dyson when it first came out, but it's been a rock and paid back everything it cost. Admittedly, it does need to be replaced now though - 20 yrs later.

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Goff doesn't even need to throw it deep even. Williams has the ability to take slants or out routes to the house. 

People act like Goff has some decrepit noodle, his arm strength and accuracy are above average.

Edited by Longgone

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm still struck by the dissonance between people thinking this is the best management the Lions have had in forever, coupled to the absolute dismissal of their decision that Goff is their QB. But I'll be just as interested in whether they do draft a QB, I just don't think it's likely.

Why draft one if there isn't one worth drafting?