NFL Draft Night - As It Happens.

3 minutes ago, Longgone said:

People act like Goff has some decrepit noodle, his arm strength and accuracy are above average.

He's just afraid to go deep. If you get someone that actually gets open deep, he'll do it. Josh Reynolds averaged 16 yards per completion and Goff was a different QB when he came over. 

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm still struck by the dissonance between people thinking this is the best management the Lions have had in forever, coupled to the absolute dismissal of their decision that Goff is their QB. But I'll be just as interested in whether they do draft a QB, I just don't think it's likely.

The worst think you can do is draft a QB just because you feel you have to. Goff's contract also made it difficult for them to get off until after this season. 

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He's just afraid to go deep. If you get someone that actually gets open deep, he'll do it. Josh Reynolds averaged 16 yards per completion and Goff was a different QB when he came over. 

I'd be afraid too, if nobody's getting open and you don't have anyone who can win 50/50 balls.

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The worst think you can do is draft a QB just because you feel you have to. Goff's contract also made it difficult for them to get off until after this season. 

Still, if they wanted a new QB long term they had a shot at Mac Jones (or Fields 🤮) last year and passed. Would it have been hard to predict this would be a bad QB year as of last years draft? Maybe I guess.  I sure hope the plan is not to lose enough to draft a good one next yr. :classic_sad:

1 minute ago, TP_Fan said:

You’re just trolling now.  You stated you liked the picks, but you’re being incredible juvenile over a 3rd round pick.  

Nah.  I was trolling MB with that Cephus comment but it’s way more than just the 66th pick.    Moving from 34 to 46 is a big move too and I thought Williams was a luxury they didn’t need to take a risk on at that spot.  

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Still, if they wanted a new QB long term they had a shot at Mac Jones (or Fields 🤮) last year and passed. Would it have been hard to predict this would be a bad QB year as of last years draft? Maybe I guess.  I sure hope the plan is not to lose enough to draft a good one next yr. :classic_sad:

Just because a QB was there, doesn't mean you have to take him. It wasn't that long ago that Goff was the must have number one QB. I'm old enough to remember when Goff and Wentz were the future of the league. Dorsey is a part of this offense and waited until the right time to draft a QB. They could also be taking a different approach and building the roster and waiting until the next Watson, Russell or Stafford become disgruntled and swoop in and grab them. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Just because a QB was there, doesn't mean you have to take him. It wasn't that long ago that Goff was the must have number one QB. I'm old enough to remember when Goff and Wentz were the future of the league. Dorsey is a part of this offense and waited until the right time to draft a QB. They could also be taking a different approach and building the roster and waiting until the next Watson, Russell or Stafford become disgruntled and swoop in and grab them. 

sure - I'm just looking for whatever signs there are about how committed they are to Goff. Most people here seem to hold that they really want to throw him overboard at the first opportunity, but I wonder if there is actually any kind of objective evidence  support that view or if it's just fan projection and the Lions still see the guy that others claim is gone forever. I don't have a dog in the argument - evaluation of NFL QBs is beyond my pay grade. I can see some basic things like everyone, but I don't feel I can predict what Goff will do with different pieces around him anymore than I can claim to have predicted Stafford would have a great year with the Rams with that cast around him ( I admit to having been more on the sceptical side)

Enough about perceived value of WR being more important than defense.  Packers and Chiefs are two franchises that are infinitely better than the Lions.  They both had 2 first rounders and probably a bigger need at WR than the Lions.  Not only did neither trade up like the Lions for WR but they didn’t even take one at all and ended up using all 4 picks on defense.   

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Enough about perceived value of WR being more important than defense.  Packers and Chiefs are two franchises that are infinitely better than the Lions.  They both had 2 first rounders and probably a bigger need at WR than the Lions.  Not only did neither trade up like the Lions for WR but they didn’t even take one at all and ended up using all 4 picks on defense.   

The packers have won 2 Super Bowls while having 2 hall of fame QBs over the last 32 years.  They have extremely underachieved in the playoffs for the past decade.  The packers continue to be at odds with their QB because of lack offensive drafting.  The packers scored 10 points in their lone playoff game last year.  The packers lack of drafting weapons for Rodgers is exactly why they haven’t won the last 12 years.  

You need playmakers/gamechangers in this league whether that be offense or defense doesn't matter but to win that's what you need and the Lions got arguably the biggest one on each side of the ball last night. 

This archaic view of building a balanced team with good players at all positions is just that archaic. In today's NFL you need guys that can get to the passer and/or create turnovers on defense and can get open and stretch the field on offense and the Lions did just that yesterday.

Edited by RandyMarsh