NFL Draft Night - As It Happens.

Not Lions related but was reading Kiper's write up about Day 2 and his winner's and losers and it just baffles me how people in his position can be so dense. He named the Seahawks in the loser category cause they passed on Willis twice and paraphrased it with something like "I don't get it, do they think that Drew Lock or Geno Smith are going to play even close to above average football this season?"

First off, who cares how either of those two perform this year, it's not like they are trying to win. Secondly if you do care how the qb performs this year you wouldn't take Willis since he certainly isn't ready to take over anyway and finally you don't take a player that you don't like or think is flawed just cause they may be better than what you have right now.  I swear you'd think for somebody's who's entire job is draft related that they would realize that they have these things every year so you don't have to address a need right now and that you are indeed allowed to play a season with subpar QBs when you're planning on rebuilding anyway. 

Sorry for the rant, not trying to specifically pick on Kiper its just takes like this are a pet peeve of mind and I see it all the time from folks. Yeah if you are serious about contending and pass on a clear need I can maybe see getting frustrated but when you are planning to compete say 2 or 3 years down the road the goal is to just gobble up as much talent as possible and worry about need later. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

I think this QB thing is just a cycle.  If some of the early round qb's the last few years had performed better, then you wouldn't see guys dropping this far.  If this year's qb class impresses, than you will see more qb's drafted early again next year.  

Teams can convince themselves either way on quarterbacks based on what they want to find.  

8 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not Lions related but was reading Kiper's write up about Day 2 and his winner's and losers and it just baffles me how people in his position can be so dense. He named the Seahawks in the loser category cause they passed on Willis twice and paraphrased it with something like "I don't get it, do they think that Drew Lock or Geno Smith are going to play even close to above average football this season?"

First off, who cares how either of those two perform this year, it's not like they are trying to win. Secondly if you do care how the qb performs this year you wouldn't take Willis since he certainly isn't ready to take over anyway and finally you don't take a player that you don't like or think is flawed just cause they may be better than what you have right now.  I swear you'd think for somebody's who's entire job is draft related that they would realize that they have these things every year so you don't have to address a need right now and that you are indeed allowed to play a season with subpar QBs when you're planning on rebuilding anyway. 

Sorry for the rant, not trying to specifically pick on Kiper its just takes like this are a pet peeve of mind and I see it all the time from folks. Yeah if you are serious about contending and pass on a clear need I can maybe see getting frustrated but when you are planning to compete say 2 or 3 years down the road the goal is to just gobble up as much talent as possible and worry about need later. 

The problem with guys like that is they are so on immediate help and what's needed today and the big picutre isn't seen at all. We saw it last year with us when we didn't take a WR. The same thing happened. All they care about is filling preceived needs today while a team might be thinking two or three seasons down the road. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Holmes seems to be a big fan of the in game GPS. I believe he said the Rams used it and led them to draft guys like Cooper Kupp. 

Overall I think for football, game performance vs athletic projection is a safe way to go. Sure you may miss a great athlete who just never had the chance on the field here and there, but you will probably also end up with a lot fewer busts, and (IMO) in football quantity is everything. You just can't afford to miss on a lot of draft picks. Sort of the opposite of baseball where your misses hardly matter at all - you only need to hit big on one or two players out of the dozens signed each year.

Edited by gehringer_2

Jets reportedly made an insultingly low offer for Deebo Samuel

Says the Lions offer was “light”. 32 and 34?

Matt Barrows of TheAthletic.com reported on Friday that the Jets offered the 10th overall pick and a fifth-rounder for Samuel, with a catch. The Jets also wanted a second-round pick from the 49ers.”

Edited by sagnam

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Seattle seems like an obvious landing spot for Baker Mayfield, but what are the Browns asking for?   Anything higher than a 4th round pick would be ridiculous.  Cleveland has no leverage at all here. 

surprised to see perrion winfrey still on the board.  teams must see him as a workout warrior because he dominated the senior bowl.  engabare is there too.  both of those guys had some late first early second talk for a while.

still a lot of decent tight ends and corners left (josh jobe?)  not a ton left at linebacker.

I think it's clear given the two DEs and WR the Lions picked, Hutch, Paschal and Williams, that unlike Quinntrica, this regime really values athleticism. They want guys they have the athletic ability to be disrupters and playmakers. I don't know what Paschal will bring ultimately, but he's certainly got the athletic upside to be good.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I don't understand what Bill Belichick is doing. He picks a Guard with a 4th-5th round grade in the first in Cole Strange, a WR with a 3rd-4th round grade in Tyquon Thornton in the 2nd, and now he needlessly wastes a 4th round pick a QB in Bailey Zappe. I think New England has a really bad draft on paper.