The Idiocracy of Donald J. Trump

chasfh

"It's relevant that I was impeached, therefore I shouldn't be prosecuted"

"What about the argument for no conviction during impeachment because prosecution was always there as a possibility?"

"Impeachment is not relevant"

• Like 1

sometimes there are questions you don't want asked because you are afraid of what the answer will be.

Alito and Thomas would support it out of pure spite, "Sure why not.  They're jerks anyway and I got this RV I gotta pay for".  Gorsuch would go all libertarian and involve some obsure theory that sounds fanciful and quote something from a Greek philospher in 383 B.C.E.  Barret would just say "Well that's what God wanted, it's in Revelations."  Kavanaugh is like "Dude... what?  Ok sure...." then belch and grab someone's butt.

Axios: Report: Trump received at least $7.8M in foreign payments during presidency

A report from Democrats on the House Oversight Committee released Thursday accused former President Trump of receiving at least $7.8 million in foreign payments to his properties during his presidency.

Why it matters: It’s the most solid figure to date on the scope and scale of Trump’s private windfall from foreign sources, which Democrats allege is a clear-cut violation of the Constitution’s emoluments clause.

Driving the news: The 156-page report titled “White House for Sale: How Princes, Prime Ministers, and Premiers Paid Off President Trump” draws on documents from Trump’s accounting firm, Mazars, obtained after years of high-profile court battles.

It lays out foreign payments to four Trump properties, two in New York, one in Washington, D.C., and one in Las Vegas, from at least 20 foreign governments or government-owned entities, including China, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Kosovo and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
“President Trump never sought or received Congress's approval to keep these foreign payments, as the Constitution requires,” the report says, also drawing links between the payments and Trump's policy decisions.
A spokesperson for Trump did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
By the numbers: By far the largest chunk of the $7.8 million came from China, which spent nearly $5.6 million at Trump Tower in New York and Trump International Hotels in Washington, D.C. and Las Vegas. (The D.C. hotel became the Waldorf Astoria in 2022.)

Another $615,000 came from Saudi Arabia, $466,000 from Qatar, $303,000 from Kuwait, $283,000 from India, $249,000 from Malaysia, $155,000 from Afghanistan, $75,000 from the Philippines and $65,000 from the UAE.

Did we talk about Trump and Trump properties taking money from the Chinese, Saudi, and other governments yet and not reporting it to Congress?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure the link will open here since it's a paid site. It's basically talking about the potential difficulty in finding a jury pool. The bulk of the article deals with a focus group in North Carolina. Of the 11 Trump to Biden voters in the group only two said that they could fairly pass judgement in a case involving Trump, but they did seem confident that a fair jury pool could be found.

Big concerns were intimidation by Trump on social media, fear of his supporters, along with possibly too many potential jurors may be to knowledgable to be unbiased.

https://plus.thebulwark.com/p/good-luck-finding-impartial-jurors?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

21 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'm not sure the link will open here since it's a paid site. It's basically talking about the potential difficulty in finding a jury pool. The bulk of the article deals with a focus group in North Carolina. Of the 11 Trump to Biden voters in the group only two said that they could fairly pass judgement in a case involving Trump, but they did seem confident that a fair jury pool could be found.

Big concerns were intimidation by Trump on social media, fear of his supporters, along with possibly too many potential jurors may be to knowledgable to be unbiased.

https://plus.thebulwark.com/p/good-luck-finding-impartial-jurors?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

At least one of his civil trials had a jury, no? And the grand juries all went off without a hitch.

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

At least one of his civil trials had a jury, no? And the grand juries all went off without a hitch.

The one that he just delivered a closing speech in (Judge Engoron) is the case where he's accused of inflating/deflating values of his assets depending on what he was applying for.  It is a civil trial and there's no jury.   My understanding is that a bench trial happened b/c his lawyers did not request a jury trial, he was afforded every opportunity to do so.   It is also my understanding that Engoron has already found guilt in that case.

14 minutes ago, pfife said:

The one that he just delivered a closing speech in (Judge Engoron) is the case where he's accused of inflating/deflating values of his assets depending on what he was applying for.  It is a civil trial and there's no jury.   My understanding is that a bench trial happened b/c his lawyers did not request a jury trial, he was afforded every opportunity to do so.   It is also my understanding that Engoron has already found guilt in that case.

yeah - this whole exercise has been strange because as you note, Engoron has already decided guilt - this whole show is about the penalty.

15 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - this whole exercise has been strange because as you note, Engoron has already decided guilt - this whole show is about the penalty.

That's all Trump wanted anyways... is a Show.

He thinks he can win this case (in which he is already GUILTY as already noted...), with...

A Show.

On 1/12/2024 at 12:11 PM, 1984Echoes said:

That's all Trump wanted anyways... is a Show.

He thinks he can win this case (in which he is already GUILTY as already noted...), with...

A Show.

That's all he has wanted his whole life - a show where he is the primary actor.  He is getting what he asked for.  

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

a day after Biden proposed capping bank fees, Dump responds by saying he will stop people from being "de-banked"

I know people have accused both Trump and Biden of being on the path to dementia more in hope than supportable by fact, but the way Trump is starting to fall back into serializing disjointed little pieces of preprogrammed rhetoric during his speeches more and more often doesn't seem like a good thing. 

20 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

a day after Biden proposed capping bank fees, Dump responds by saying he will stop people from being "de-banked"

That's exactly like SNL.  Just random cutaways to another familair word.

This has to be a major talking point for the Democrats and those who oppose the former President. 

This statement is direct opposition to the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution. Nearly 250 years ago our forefathers started an insurrection against a king in opposition to these thoughts.

• Thanks 2