The Idiocracy of Donald J. Trump

chasfh

N, predictively, trumps response to this is “yeah, well, there’s lots of crime in New York City right now! This is all political!“ 

….. um… theNY state AG has absolutely nothing to do with NYC crime.

But, just throw the same sad, sorry excuses out there, and FOX will run with it tonight.

What a joke.

Donald Trump and all of his family members are innocent until proven guilty in the court of law. That said, it would seem that there is a mountain of evidence, over many years, that will finally bring some level of justice to the many people and business entities that he, his children, and his business enterprises have done wrong to over the years. 

Calling Donald Trump Fredo Corleone from the movie The Godfather, or comparing one of his sons to the movie character, in a moment such as this would be too easy and would do a disservice to the gravity of the situation at hand. Saying that he is just some dumb, mafioso-like criminal takes away from the seriousness of the financial crimes he is accused of by the New York Attorney General's Office and the potential, future, pending charges by any federal jurisdiction.

It is clear to me that it has appeared, over a long period of time, that Donald Trump has operated on a rules for thee, but not for me status. It is clear that he, his family, and his business enterprises have skirted the law for years using many different methods. They have collectively ripped off many hard working people and other business investors, dodged paying taxes, and produced outright fabricated financial statements, lying about his personal and business financial balance sheets, earned income, and overall accumulated wealth.

If you or I as average Americans did what the former President, his children, and his business enterprise areaccused of doing we'd have been held accountable and faced the long arm of the law long ago. Today is one step closer towards bringing a small semblance of justice for those that Donald Trump, his children, and his businesses have lied to, cheated, and hustled over the years. The amount of wealth potentially stolen by all parties involved and a full account of the the pain and suffering caused to enumerable amounts of people and other business entities may never be fully known.

Yet again, we have a black woman to thank for enforcing the rule of law, up holding democracy, and hopefully bringing justice to bare. Thank you to New York State Attorney General Letitia James and her entire team for all of their thorough and diligent work in this case. This matter isn't over and the case not closed. Donald Trump, his family members charges, and all his business associates are still innocent until proven guilty.

This is a sad day for our country. Sad that Donald Trump was able to get away with this for all these years and sad that he became our President and continued the grift during his tenure as President. I do not celebrate these charges and I do not exhibit exuberance or joy at the damage potentially caused by Donald Trump. I wish for fair and honest justice to be brought by the court of law. I hope that we continue to fight for a more just and equitable system of justice and society. I hope that we recognize and commit to the American ideal that no individual, regardless of their position of power, is above the law and deserving of special status or treatment.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 9/18/2022 at 11:25 AM, Tigerbomb13 said:

I guess the GOP doesn’t even need to hide it that they are the QAnon party.

I've been watching the US and the Holocaust, and as I do so, I'm becoming convinced that QAnon is quite literally the new Nazi party.

They really believe in the same things: the anti-semitism and cultishness and dedication to white supremacy, yes, but also the Blood Libel, the "Jew control" of international finance and media, the need to cleanse the earth of their subhuman enemy scum—all of it. They are most responsive to rhetoric based on fear of an alien and unknowable other, they blame their eroding situation on racial and ideological scapegoats, and they yearn for a narcissistic demagogues to rescue them. This is exactly what Nazism was in the 1930s, and it is exactly what QAnon is today.

This is what makes Trump's embrace of it last week actually dangerous, rather than silly. Trump is giving red hats permission to fully embrace QAnon and its genocidal philosophy, and I will bet that by the time Trump leaves the scene, QAnon will already have rushed in to replace him as the red hats' unifying principle.

Once we start seeing people fly QAnon flags at their homes, farms and businesses, that's when we know shit's gonna really start getting real. I'm thinking within two years, tops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I've been watching the US and the Holocaust, and as I do so, I'm becoming convinced that QAnon is quite literally the new Nazi party.

They really believe in the same things: the anti-semitism and cultishness and dedication to white supremacy, yes, but also the Blood Libel, the "Jew control" of international finance and media, the need to cleanse the earth of their subhuman enemy scum—all of it. They are most responsive to rhetoric based on fear of an alien and unknowable other, they blame their eroding situation on racial and ideological scapegoats, and they yearn for a narcissistic demagogues to rescue them. This is exactly what Nazism was in the 1930s, and it is exactly what QAnon is today.

This is what makes Trump's embrace of it last week actually dangerous, rather than silly. Trump is giving red hats permission to fully embrace QAnon and its genocidal philosophy, and I will bet that by the time Trump leaves the scene, QAnon will already have rushed in to replace him as the red hats' unifying principle.

Once we start seeing people fly QAnon flags at their homes, farms and businesses, that's when we know shit's gonna really start getting real. I'm thinking within two years, tops.

I purposefully didn't want it for that reason, I think it will make me too upset. Same reason I don't want to watch Dopesick even though I love Michael Keaton.

Plus I still have a beef with Ken Burns over his part in the legacy of Ty Cobb.  A smart guy like Burns should have known better and he at minimum owes it to history to create a new "inning".

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I purposefully didn't want it for that reason, I think it will make me too upset. Same reason I don't want to watch Dopesick even though I love Michael Keaton.

Plus I still have a beef with Ken Burns over his part in the legacy of Ty Cobb.  A smart guy like Burns should have known better and he at minimum owes it to history to create a new "inning".

The thing that's most upsetting about it all is just how easily the US could have entered the war on the side of the Nazis, had someone like a Lindbergh won the presidency in 1940. A distressingly high percentage of people were sympathetic to Nazi values, and another high percentage were apathetic about it all because of our isolation.

Even with Roosevelt in office, If I'm Hitler in 1941, I'm thinking, there is no way the United States, a country so obviously divided along these kinds of ideological lines, could ever pull together to effectively fight a European war against them. With American isolationism in the bag, Hitler could have continued to run roughshod over country after country in Europe, including the UK, before finally subduing the Soviet Union and having, what, half a billion or more subjects in their Reich, minus the Jews?

Then they could have conscripted every man in the Reich to enter their armed forces and turned their sights on the US, a country of, what, 130 million? With a Reich four times the size of America, Hitler could have reasonably calculated that he could run roughshod over America as well—particularly given another reasonable calculation that maybe a quarter or more of all Americans at the time would have collaborated with the Nazis, given their like-mindedness on genocidal racism. The collaboration rate could easily have been much higher during an American invasion than in the invasion of any European country.

What Hitler didn't bank on, however, was Japan attacking Pearl Harbor. That woke a lot of people up because here was a nation of "yellow bastards" trying to invade America, which people racist to their core would never withstand. And since the friend of my enemy is my enemy, and Germany was considered the friend of Japan, once they declared war on the US after the bombing, that was pretty much it for any idea Hitler could waltz in and take over America.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I always wondered that about Ken Burns.  He grew up in Ann Arbor and came away dissing Detroit history that much.  I wonder if the lad got thumped down in the city by some rowdy hard hats.