The Idiocracy of Donald J. Trump

chasfh

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think the bar for success here is very low. Trump's going to have a bunch of guys in a union hall hooting and hollering for him. Union guys are historically known for voting Democrat, so it's going to look like a bunch of Democrats are moving over to Trump, and that video with that strain of commentary will air over and over for days on every network that has a news division.

I think there are two audiences being targeted here: independents, and on-the-fence voters of both parties. For each, the effect will be the same: when they see video of a bunch of Democrats whooping it up for Trump, I can totally see them saying to themselves, well, if even Democrats are going for Trump instead of Biden, maybe it's time to get (back) on the Trump train for the big win.

I can even see a new group being announced: Democrats for Trump. That's low-hanging fruit and they'd be nuts not to go there. Sure, Trump is nuts, and the Trump campaign people are nuts, but I don't think they are that kind of nuts. And it doesn't matter that the new group would be synthesized out of astroturf. All that matters is that it happens and is seen.

I think the only thing that will "go wrong" is that he will say something that rises to a new level of objectionable, which will then be rinsed through the news cycle, liberals will be outraged, red hats (and union hardhats) will be delighted and energized, mainstream media will both-sides whatever the comment is to death, and then everyone will leave it in the dust and move on to the next outrage. In the meantime, Democrats for Trump would be the one idea that will survive.

I think this is a genius move and I pray to god they find a way to inexplicably blow it.

I think with the UAW specifically, you have to remember that they have new leadership.  Old leadership was more apt to work with the big three and was part of the regime that allowed two tiered pay, etc.  You can argue their core wanted it at the time.  We're roughly 15 years later and a larger contingent are working on that lower tier level.  The older ones already got 'theirs' and seem to recognize what they gave up and how it affected their younger 'brothers and sisters'.

As such, I think you have a much more vocal union leadership that is much more steadfast in showing support to Democrats, they are seeing democrats showing up to walk the line with them, and they are seeing Biden repeat their demands, record contracts to go with record profits.  

Trump absolutely needs to peel off voters in this group to win and he is smart for recognizing that, but I think he's going to be much harder pressed as you see the Dems fight for it as well.  

3 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Will he open his mouth and words come out? The guy hasn't told the truth in something like 75 years

To be fair, how many politicians can you find that regularly tell the truth?  Can Biden say a personal story without at least 1 lie in it?

On 9/19/2023 at 1:35 PM, ewsieg said:

To be fair, how many politicians can you find that regularly tell the truth?  Can Biden say a personal story without at least 1 lie in it?

All high level politicians (both parties) lie frequently.  Some lie more than others.  some have limits to their lying.  Some know when to stop lying.  Some don't distinguish between fantasy and reality.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

He seems to hate everything about America except for the fact he can profit from it.  

Can you imagine him being locked in a room with three of his fervent red hat supporters? He’d be screaming and clawing at the door until his fingers bled trying to get out.

• Like 1

So, while driving my mentally handicapped brother around he wanted to listen to Valenti.  I noticed that they had a commercial for the Trump rally with the UAW on his show.  It sounded like the Brian Cranston voice even though he's a very anti-Trump figure.  I was momentarily very angry with that guy... then I realized it isn't hard to get voices that sound like that.

33 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Somebody was very cranky last night. They must have shorted him on French fries and Diet Coke...

What complicates this is that like a lot of what Trump says, there is a certain kernel of - maybe not truth - but recognition of a problem that really does exist and is being ignored by the mainstream. I've heard people as anti-Trump as Timothy Snyder beginning to talk about the fact that we need to re-examine how we conceptual the internet and social media space and come to understand that the printing press metaphor is the wrong one, that we really need to come to understand it as a shared environment, which is subject to the same kinds of pollution and 'tragedy of the commons' problems as any physical environment. People can sense that there is something seriously wrong with the way social media works, but they can't see the way out because as a society, we - and particularly our legal and political elites - we are trapped in the wrong modes of thinking about what it is. This is exactly the kind of place where a fascist demagogue like Trump can offer easy, attractive, and completely wrong solutions.

Edited by gehringer_2

15 minutes ago, MIguy said:

A person under felony indictment just purchased a firearm.  The only way he could have done so is by lying on the 4473 which specifically asks if you are under indictment for a felony.  

Gasp. And we know how serious the House GOP is about gun laws lately given their concern over Hunter Biden.

Well that's pretty messed up....   I am unfamiliar with that form so I looked it up and it definitely does ask exacly what MIGuy said.   

Is it always the case that someone indicted would be denied purchase?  In other words could he answer yes on that question and still be allowed to purchase?

If Trump actually purchased the gun, he just committed exactly the same crimes as Hunter and should be hit with the same three charges. 

Right now his people are saying he bought it but I'm guessing they'll wait a while and then quietly release a statement saying he never actually purchased the gun. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pfife said:

Well that's pretty messed up....   I am unfamiliar with that form so I looked it up and it definitely does ask exacly what MIGuy said.   

Is it always the case that someone indicted would be denied purchase?  In other words could he answer yes on that question and still be allowed to purchase?

Any yes answer on the form stops the transaction dead in its tracks.  The gun shop doesn't even run it through NICS at that point.  

• Like 1

Something that I just realized,  Trump is a resident of Florida and this took place in South Carolina.  While Trump could give the gun shop money for the gun, he can't take possession of it, the gun would have to be shipped to a FFL in Florida. That's where Trump would go to fill out the 4473 and go through the background check so this whole narrative of Trump buying a gun is just the latest ruse to rile people up.