The Idiocracy of Donald J. Trump

chasfh

1 hour ago, MIguy said:

If Trump actually purchased the gun, he just committed exactly the same crimes as Hunter and should be hit with the same three charges. 

Right now his people are saying he bought it but I'm guessing they'll wait a while and then quietly release a statement saying he never actually purchased the gun. 

Of course he didn't purchase the gun.  It's more likely that they paid him to use his likeness on the gun and then they sold it for thousands.  And even if he wanted the gun, he wouldn't have paid for it with his own money. 

Edited by Tiger337

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Of course he didn't purchase the gun.  It's more likely that they paid him to use his likeness on the gun and then they sold it for thousands.  And even if he wanted the gun, he wouldn't have paid for it with his own money. 

Yeah that's the key, how could a guy who never pays for anything actually buy something?  It seems unlikely that he pulled out a credit card.

4 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Sometimes I can’t tell if he’s just trying to test the legal system as far as it can go, or if him and the people around him are just that stupid. 

I think in this particular instance it was the people around him telling him it would be a good PR look for him with his base primary voters without thinking through the entire situation.

22 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

What complicates this is that like a lot of what Trump says, there is a certain kernel of - maybe not truth - but recognition of a problem that really does exist and is being ignored by the mainstream. I've heard people as anti-Trump as Timothy Snyder beginning to talk about the fact that we need to re-examine how we conceptual the internet and social media space and come to understand that the printing press metaphor is the wrong one, that we really need to come to understand it as a shared environment, which is subject to the same kinds of pollution and 'tragedy of the commons' problems as any physical environment. People can sense that there is something seriously wrong with the way social media works, but they can't see the way out because as a society, we - and particularly our legal and political elites - we are trapped in the wrong modes of thinking about what it is. This is exactly the kind of place where a fascist demagogue like Trump can offer easy, attractive, and completely wrong solutions.

The $64 question is whether by setting up a system by which they go after reportage and opinion based on falsehood, how they are going to determine that? Just because Trump says something is false doesn’t make it so, yet once he’s president and gets to make that decision, we would all be living under his version of truth across all media, and Alarmist Non-Sense Alert, that includes here, among us. Finding and punishing ordinary people committing thoughtcrimes has been impossible, but rapid advances in artificial intelligence will make it so much easier to drill down and find every last apostate in the public media square, no matter how small and insignificant, and sooner than we may be ready for. I might caution to watch what we say, but it’s way, way too late for a lot of us, or at least for me.

16 hours ago, MIguy said:

If Trump actually purchased the gun, he just committed exactly the same crimes as Hunter and should be hit with the same three charges. 

Right now his people are saying he bought it but I'm guessing they'll wait a while and then quietly release a statement saying he never actually purchased the gun. 

They will report that in the mainstream media which they know the red hats never read, so Trump can cover his ass with the feds while still maintaining his stone cold killer cred with the MAGAs. 

15 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Sometimes I can’t tell if he’s just trying to test the legal system as far as it can go, or if him and the people around him are just that stupid. 

Yes and yes, plus they all know he can get away with it because he has always gotten away with it.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

The $64 question is whether by setting up a system by which they go after reportage and opinion based on falsehood, how they are going to determine that? Just because Trump says something is false doesn’t make it so, yet once he’s president and gets to make that decision, we would all be living under his version of truth across all media, and Alarmist Non-Sense Alert, that includes here, among us. Finding and punishing ordinary people committing thoughtcrimes has been impossible, but rapid advances in artificial intelligence will make it so much easier to drill down and find every last apostate in the public media square, no matter how small and insignificant, and sooner than we may be ready for. I might caution to watch what we say, but it’s way, way too late for a lot of us, or at least for me.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

WUT?!!!

I don't understand what that means...

Could someone explain that to me...?

This is what China has right now with their internal controls.  Once you have someone imposing his version of the truth on the public square, the latest innovations in AI and machine learning as well as the brute force of quantum computing will allow the oligarchic asshole who has taken control greater and greater control over speech in all forms.  Once he starts to kill off critical thought from media companies --both figuratively and literally (e.g., Putin's Russia), to espouse anything like dissenting thought will be punishable by death.   Don't think techbros like Elon are not salivating at the prospect of this.  

So, fight him here in 2024 and any asshole like him.