General Tiger Discussion

oblong

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yeah...

If I start another 2022 MLB Draft thread, I don't need to put any more "GREEN'er on the TANK side" or "FUBAR for KUMAR" qualifiers on it. We've moved beyond that. Just a straight-up, boring, 2022 Draft thread. Same with 2023... we're done with that.

lets do a draft where our 2nd round pick isn't a disaster. 

I have no idea what the draft looks like next year other than Green but hopefully for our sake it shakes out like how it did this year.

Some of the perceived top guys(House,Rocker,Mclain Watson to name a few) managed to fall to about where we are likely to pick so if we're lucky we can still get a premium guy despite picking outside the top 10.

17 hours ago, 1776 said:

Under the Chris Illitch regime, the D on the Tigers hat was three different sizes over three consecutive years, 2018-2020. The total cluster was the billboard sized D on the 2019 hat. 
I’m OK with the font change on the D on the home jersey chest a couple of years ago. I would prefer it were a tad smaller though.

This year several teams have introduced their “City Connect” uniforms. I haven’t seen one I like yet. The Dodgers CC uniforms are terrible in my opinion. I fear the day, and it is coming, when the Tigers roll out theirs. I’m sure it will be another dud. I would think with the word, DETROIT, across the chest you could go a long way in connecting the city with the team…but that’s just me.

I don't know.  Have the Red Wings changed their sweaters?  Introduced an alternate aside from one offs like outdoor games?

The Tigers tried the Tiger through the D and the blue shirt jersey at home once, but that was the early 90s.  I think its fair to say we've all wised up since then.  For the most part.  I think.

9 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Wow. I just realized we went 7-3 in our last 10 games. Do it again and we finish the season at .500. Unexpected.

Even if they lose their last 10 games (which they won't) this season has to be considered a success for them and I would say unexpected.  Most fans lost faith in April and expected another 50 win season.  They turned it around to win and sweep a lot of series from top teams.  It leaves us with a lot of hope for next year if they can sort out their labor agreement.  For the fans they need to get that done quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Even if they lose their last 10 games (which they won't) this season has to be considered a success for them and I would say unexpected.  Most fans lost faith in April and expected another 50 win season.  They turned it around to win and sweep a lot of series from top teams.  It leaves us with a lot of hope for next year if they can sort out their labor agreement.  For the fans they need to get that done quickly.

Agreed. I think (hope) everyone involved knows the damage a work stoppage would cause. It's not a good time for hard line negotiations. 

On 9/23/2021 at 9:39 AM, casimir said:

Looking through his minor league stats, he was a catcher after being drafted.  But I think he was a SS at Virginia Commonwealth and the Tigers converted him to C.  Unfortunately bbref doesn't have college stats available for him to back this up.

As I recall, he was also a college closer with a mid-90s fastball.

11 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Wow. I just realized we went 7-3 in our last 10 games. Do it again and we finish the season at .500. Unexpected.

A couple of interesting things about the last ten-game stretch of the season, which starts today:

1. They are all against Central teams, and AL Central is the division we have done the worst against.
  2. That said, all three teams we are facing (White Sox, Royals, Twins) have all won nine games against us this season. If we were to end on a ten-game win streak, we would be even in the season series with the Twins and Royals, and would win the season series against the Sox.
Edited by chasfh
fat fingers

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

A couple of interesting things about the last ten-game stretch of the season, which starts today:

1. They are all against Central teams, and AL Central is the division we have done the worst against.
  2. That said, all three teams we are facing (White Sox, Royals, Twins) have all won nine games against us this season. If we were to end on a ten-game win streak, we would be even in the season series with the Twins and Royals, and would win the season series against the Sox.

But you have to add the final 10 wins to the 4 gamer that they are currently on.  Come on, Chuck, what is this?  Amateur day?

13 hours ago, Archie said:

I heard that Boyd is having Flexor Tendon surgery and it normally takes 6 to 9 months to heal.  Since he's in his last year of arbitration the Tigers may not offer him a contract and he would be a free agent.  This is very bad timing for Boyd.

What would Boyd be getting in arbitration?  He's making $6.5M this season.  I'd say its bad timing for both Boyd and the Tigers, but more so for Boyd. 

6 to 9 months from now is end of March to end of June.  It might be in Boyd's best interest to rehab with the team he knows rather than rehabbing with a brand new organization.  If he signs elsewhere, we're not talking just getting acclimated with the big league club like a normal free agent signing.  This is going to take rehab throughout the organization, and maybe that unfamiliarity is something Boyd doesn't want to deal with.

Boyd can be a bit of a lightning rod of discussion, especially after he was not dealt.  But in the past he could be counted on for spot on the mound every 5th day, which has some value.  I think its reasonable to anticipate that he wasn't going to be the ace next season, and that maybe while Mize and/or Skubal could be flirting with that, the Tigers would probably need to look outside of the organization for that type of pitcher.  So, middle to end of rotation would be fine to slot him in if healthy, although going back to arbitration maybe he's a bit overpaid for that next season (which can be offset by what the kid pitchers are making & delivering if things go well).

So, are we looking at a possibility of the Tigers waiving his arbitration rights, resigning him below value, and then possibly have him available to bring back into the end of the rotation sometime during the summer?  In the meantime, the Tigers could fill that rotation slot with a Urena/Peralta type.  Maybe Boyd simply becomes insurance against injury elsewhere on the pitching staff.  They're going to need pitching in reserve throughout the season anyway.

And who knows what the CBA negotiations does to affect this.

Signing Boyd would be like signing Verlander.  Too many unknowns but more so with JV since its more serious.  It will be interesting to see how the Tigers handle this.  They might offer a contract with a lot of incentives?  I doubt they want to see him leave but they probably won't pay a lot up front either.  It will obviously be up to Boyd if he thinks he could do better somewhere else.  It might not matter if they have a labor stoppage.  He could be ready to go when the season starts.

20 hours ago, chasfh said:

I guess so

Ugh, one of us (or maybe both) jinxed the double digit winning streak.  But ending the season on a 9 gamer wouldn't be as show offish as 10 or 14.  A 9 gamer can be slid under the radar nicely and neatly without throwing too big of a target on themselves for next season.

3 hours ago, Archie said:

Signing Boyd would be like signing Verlander.  Too many unknowns but more so with JV since its more serious.  It will be interesting to see how the Tigers handle this.  They might offer a contract with a lot of incentives?  I doubt they want to see him leave but they probably won't pay a lot up front either.  It will obviously be up to Boyd if he thinks he could do better somewhere else.  It might not matter if they have a labor stoppage.  He could be ready to go when the season starts.

It would seem like any team looking to sign him would go this route.  Heck, is Boyd even worth a guaranteed major league deal heading into next season given his injury?

I think they start the season with Mize-Skubal-Manning in the rotation.

Now, you're talking about filling the #4 to #6 (Toledo) spots in the rotation. If you sign someone like Verlander, and expect him to take over the #3 slot and push Manning to the #4 spot... well, there's that. I'm for it because not only do I believe JV will come back strong, but I also think he's a huge on-the-field teacher for the Young 3, especially Manning. "See, this is how I do it, now you try the same thing.". That could be approach, video review, mechanics, pitch selection, sequencing, whatever... I'm all for signing JV.

With or without JV, our internal prospects for the 4th-6th spots include Fulmer (if they want to try him again in the rotation), Alexander (has shown he can do it), Wentz (showed well in Erie before the TJ and should be back to full strength in 2022, pushing for the 5th spot), and then who else is under contract for 2022?

I don't think Urena, Peralta, or Teheran are. So you would have to sign them. But if JV is signed, then anyone you're signing has too be able to take over the 5th spot OR pitch in Toledo, however that shakes out in Spring Training. 

Do we give Boyd a shot if he does his rehab, with the Tigers if he wants to, and is ready by June-ish? Or do we just move on?

I'd like to count on Turnbull being a part of the rotation as well, but I believe that's a 2023 issue not a 2022 issue...

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

It would seem like any team looking to sign him would go this route.  Heck, is Boyd even worth a guaranteed major league deal heading into next season given his injury?

My first guess would be no.

Let him rehab and then make a decision at that point what to do with him...

If he hasn't already resolved that himself...

Boyd will be 31, which is not particularly old for a pitcher, reportedly stays in very good condition, will be coming off a surgery with a high success rate - and probably will be able to pitch better with the problem fixed. I would guess he is worth a little more than the average view here. And to be honest. if I'm the Tigers, going to arbitration would not really be a bad route because it limits any commitment to one year.

I would think they need both Boyd and Peralta back if they can get them, though neither may be all that cheap. 

Do not see them making a bid for JV, he's going to go for more years & $ than the Tigers should pay. I hope the guy can pitch until he is 45 and wins 300 games, but I don't want the Tigers carrying the risk.

Edited by gehringer_2