5/24 7:40 Tigers @ Twins

Tigeraholic1

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Clemen OPS against RHP is currently 1.039

You can't hide Willi's glove anywhere on the field, and he can't hit righthanders.  He put up a week of empty batting average, which inevitably disappeared.  Clemens is simply a better baseball player at the moment, so swap them yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

You can't hide Willi's glove anywhere on the field, and he can't hit righthanders.  He put up a week of empty batting average, which inevitably disappeared.  Clemens is simply a better baseball player at the moment, so swap them yesterday.

Well, organizations tell you what they think of players in how they conduct transactions.

Then again, this organization is the same one that built a 14-28 ball club that can't hit its way out of a wet paper bag at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Schoop's OPS for his past 7 games is .898

Seems like Tork's must be high over that span as well.

Both him and Schoop went from people begging to get them out of the lineup to being (along with Miggy) the only consistent hitters in the lineup over a short span of time

Edited by mtutiger

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Both him and Schoop went from people begging to get them out of the lineup to being (along with Miggy) the only consistent hitters in the lineup over a short span of time

Yeah Tork's is .994

20 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

steady growth from tork is one of the most important things to see this year.

hopefully schoop gets hot so they can deal him.

37 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Grossman is the killer. You can't have a lead-off guy with a 244 OBP. The first 6 hitters for now need to be Schoop, Tork, Cabrera, Javy, Jeimer, Barnhart, in some combination.

Tigers have seem to have this weird idea that you just leave slumping guys in place until it's over. Well  sure, you may need to let them play out of it, but you don't need to maximize their AB's while they're doing it.

Edited by gehringer_2

Kody Clemens is now 26 years old and he is no longer a top level prospect, however the Tigers should promote him and see what he’s capable of in MLB. We fans have seen enough of Harold and Willi Castro, however I don’t believe Al Avila will make the phone call to Toledo. Why is Al Avila refusing to promote Clemens?

1 minute ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

Kody Clemens is now 26 years old and he is no longer a top level prospect, however the Tigers should promote him and see what he’s capable of in MLB. We fans have seen enough of Harold and Willi Castro, however I don’t believe Al Avila will make the phone call to Toledo. Why is Al Avila refusing to promote Clemens?

They are addicted to their fantasies about Willi's ceiling. But the odds of Willi ever getting close to his ceiling were probably already figured out by Cleveland.

5 minutes ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

Something something "orgs tell you what they think of prospects with who they call up" something something.

Seriously tho, last year there came a point where they did a changeup a month in, there are things they could do here as well. Willi is the big one... he basically is playing exclusively outfield at this point and not well... I dont see the point.

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

They are addicted to their fantasies about Willi's ceiling. But the odds of Willi ever getting close to his ceiling were probably already figured out by Cleveland.

I said it a while ago... AJ wants another Marwin Gonzalez.

Unfortunately, Willi can't hit or field like Marwin in his heyday. Probably needs to look somewhere else for that

Edited by mtutiger

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Grossman is the killer. You can't have a lead-off guy with a 244 OBP. The first 6 hitters for now need to be Schoop, Tork, Cabrera, Javy, Jeimer, Barnhart, in some combination.

Tigers have seem to have this weird idea that you just leave slumping guys in place until it's over. Well you sure you may need to let them play out of it, but you don't need to maximize their AB's while they're doing it.

Willi is on a pace for over 300 PA's, that's completely unacceptable. Grossman needs to sit for a week.  Play Daz, Hill and Clemens instead of those two.  I don't see what additional managerial value we are receiving compared to what Ron Gardenhire used to provide.

9 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Willi is on a pace for over 300 PA's, that's completely unacceptable. Grossman needs to sit for a week.  Play Daz, Hill and Clemens instead of those two.  I don't see what additional managerial value we are receiving compared to what Ron Gardenhire used to provide.

Funny you should mention Gardenhire. When he replaced Ausmus, my 'head scratch' index dropped from a high level almost to zero despite them still being a very bad team. Last year again, bad  team, but still almost no action on the 'head scratch' meter. But so far this season the 'head scratches' are starting to come fast and furious. I mean sure, Clemens may fail absolutely, but there is ZERO cost in finding out when your current offense is the worst in this quadrant of the galaxy.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Funny you should mention Gardenhire. When he replaced Ausmus, my 'head scratch' index dropped almost to zero despite them still being a very bad team. Last year again, bad  team, but still almost no action on the 'head scratch' meter. But so far this season the 'head scratches' are starting to come fast and furious.

I agree and Gardenhire was an odd little man who, had he chosen a career in industry, might have risen all the way to payroll supervisor.  And yet he is not demonstratably worse as a baseball manager than his predecessor or his successor.

9 hours ago, kdog said:

Hinch has to give Grossman a few days off. I don't care that his replacments are worse. This is ridiculous.

Its not just that the replacements are worse.  Its that there are no replacements, period.  2 Cs, and 1 DH only out of 12 position players.  That's only 9 guys to cover 7 defensive positions.  And they have to manage normal rest days, too.

How are so many hitters below career norms/expectations?  How can, essentially everyone, be in a slump?

8 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Well, let's look at this from another angle.  We get to watch CastroW's fielding foibles, and there is a, how shall I say this, macabre entertainment value by watching him drop to his knees and lean over to his left to catch a fly ball.  Its kind of like watching kids learn how to catch fly balls.  There's some measure of childlike amusement to it.  Am I right?

Nah, this is awful, he needs to be demoted, immediately.

7 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I said it a while ago... AJ wants another Marwin Gonzalez.

Unfortunately, Willi can't hit or field like Marwin in his heyday. Probably needs to look somewhere else for that

I fully understand the desire to have a Marwin Gonzalez clone.  But you're right, CastroW ain't that.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Its not just that the replacements are worse.  Its that there are no replacements, period.  2 Cs, and 1 DH only out of 12 position players.  That's only 9 guys to cover 7 defensive positions.  And they have to manage normal rest days, too.

How are so many hitters below career norms/expectations?  How can, essentially everyone, be in a slump?

42789c0d-1408-4e6c-9307-4e1dd90f7947-AlAvila_001.jpeg

9 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Our home run leader from last season is firmly planted on the bench. And we're having problems scoring runs and have shown little power. That makes sense.

9 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

Al loves him some Mexicans.