Movies

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Eddie Murphy is having himself a fairly decent late-career revival. Good for him.

ARound 2006 or 2007, flipping through the channels, Trading Places was on, the R rated version.  My son, 6 or 7 at the time, wanted to watch.  I said "not this one..."  He confidently says "But it's got Eddie Murphy, he does kid movies".  And in his persepctive, he was right.  So for a generation of people, those under 30?, Eddie Murphy is primarily Donkey and Nutty Professor and all of that.  

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

That’s a great description.  I wasnt expecting much but it was fun.  It did a good job of being an 80’s movie.  I really liked they kept all of the same songs and actors.   Fits very well with the rest of the movies. 

I like how they leave LCA and are at the spot where Joe Louis Arena was.

I want to go back and watch that sequence to see if Eddie was really there or if they did some cool editing.  From what I heard at the time, he was only here to shoot the opening scenes where he was driving around.  Did they use covering shots of the game but the up close shots of them in the seats in a studio or somewhere else?  

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

ARound 2006 or 2007, flipping through the channels, Trading Places was on, the R rated version.  My son, 6 or 7 at the time, wanted to watch.  I said "not this one..."  He confidently says "But it's got Eddie Murphy, he does kid movies".  And in his persepctive, he was right.  So for a generation of people, those under 30?, Eddie Murphy is primarily Donkey and Nutty Professor and all of that.  

Apropos of nothing, I continue to maintain that Trading Places is the best Christmas movie of the last 50 years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Apropos of nothing, I continue to maintain that Trading Places is the best Christmas movie of the last 50 years.

As a 10 year old I convinced my mom to take me to see that at Southland Mall because I knew Eddie as Buckwheat from SNL.  The language didn't bother her because my dad cussed a lot but she didn't like the nudity.  Of course I did and Jamie Lee Curtis will forever hold a special place for me.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

As a 10 year old I convinced my mom to take me to see that at Southland Mall because I knew Eddie as Buckwheat from SNL.  The language didn't bother her because my dad cussed a lot but she didn't like the nudity.  Of course I did and Jamie Lee Curtis will forever hold a special place for me.  

“By the way, food and rent aren't the only things around here that cost money. You sleep on the couch.“

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 10:35 PM, oblong said:

Axel F is fun.  If you liked one and two then I think you would like this one too. It knows what it is supposed to be. 

I enjoyed the Easter eggs but overall it wasn’t good. At all.  The woman who played Jane his daughter is a terrible actress. Atrocious. 

it was definitely a throw back to the 80s and they did well playing homage to the first two but I gave this a thumbs down on Netflix. 

I was most disappointed that Axl didn’t put a banana in the tailpipe before he jumped in the car. 

3 hours ago, oblong said:

...  So for a generation of people, those under 30?, Eddie Murphy is primarily Donkey and Nutty Professor and all of that.  

Eddie Murphy was a spectacular Donkey. He was also a spectacular Mushu.

Just like Robin Williams was a spectacular Genie in the bottle...

4 hours ago, oblong said:

She was fantastic in season three of the Bear.  She also looks older than my Grammy......

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

She was fantastic in season three of the Bear.  She also looks older than my Grammy......

She has totally embraced the aging look and a lot of my wife's peers, those in the early 50's, have done the same.  

I think she posed nude, while covering up the essentials, in a recent magazine. 

ANd yes, she was great in The Bear.  I didn't recognize her at first.  That episode followed by Forks is among the greatest TV 90 minutes in history.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, oblong said:

She has totally embraced the aging look and a lot of my wife's peers, those in the early 50's, have done the same.  

I think she posed nude, while covering up the essentials, in a recent magazine. 

ANd yes, she was great in The Bear.  I didn't recognize her at first.  That episode followed by Forks is among the greatest TV 90 minutes in history.

I had to look it up she is 65 so she is on par aging wise. Its weird seeing stars age it just makes you feel even older.

2 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I had to look it up she is 65 so she is on par aging wise. Its weird seeing stars age it just makes you feel even older.

Especially when they.... age... and don't go the surgery route.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Not everyone born in 1958 can look like Madonna. 

You don't have to look like an old hag either. 

My mom is 71 and looks 20 years younger than Curtis. Get a skin routine, lay off the booze, take care of yourself. 

It is also possible they made her look older on the show. But man, she looked rough. I was shocked when someone said she is only 65.

This is her at the Oscars last year.  I dont think she looks like an old hag at all.  Her hair is white because that's what most often happens to women as they older and she quit dying it.  Yeah she has wrinkles.   That happens too to women, and men.

Annette Bening is the same age and this is a recent photo.  I just think there's a shock when we are used to seeing actresses as younger versions and then suddenly they hit that post 60 phase and things look different.  

resize.webp

GettyImages-1917050418.webp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

This is her at the Oscars last year.  I dont think she looks like an old hag at all.  Her hair is white because that's what most often happens to women as they older and she quit dying it.  Yeah she has wrinkles.   That happens too to women, and men.

Annette Bening is the same age and this is a recent photo.  I just think there's a shock when we are used to seeing actresses as younger versions and then suddenly they hit that post 60 phase and things look different.  

resize.webp

GettyImages-1917050418.webp

If you are light skinned and you live past middle age without aid of a plastic surgeon, you will look exactly as good or bad as the amount time you've spent in the Sun, and Sun Tans were a very in thing when the boomers were of the age to get them....

1 hour ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Are you just going by how she looks on The Bear? She's supposed to look awful. She's playing a trainwreck of a mom.

Originally Yes.  But those pics Oblong posted didn't change anything.  She is a few years younger in those pics and it was the Oscars.  Meaning she was just made up for 10 hours by the best money can buy, and she still looks much older than her age.

Two things.  I never found her attractive.  And both sides of my family have been blessed by aging really well.  I'm 50, and while not attractive, look very young.  Most guess I am 30ish when they meet me.  All my aunts/uncles/grandparents look/looked 15 years younger than they were/are.  So that might influence me a bit.