Movies

Watched the Bikeriders last night. Fantastic movie! Star studded cast and a really good look a the biker club scene pre 1970's gangs. Being based in Chicago I think they did a good job with the midwest accents. Norman Reedus being in it was an added bonus.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

She had some good scenes in True Lies too. 

One thing I seem to remember from the movie is the one douchebag Ah-nuld eliminated as a potential rival who said Jamie Lee had an ass like a ten-year-old boy.

Hey, it was the Nineties ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

One thing I seem to remember from the movie is the one douchebag Ah-nuld eliminated as a potential rival who said Jamie Lee had an ass like a ten-year-old boy.

Hey, it was the Nineties ...

Yeah that movie didn’t age well at all. That was Bill Paxton but I’m not sure yet if he was famous.  Throw in the satirical take on the terrorists. But it was the 90’s.  

• Like 1

Just now, oblong said:

Yeah that movie didn’t age well at all. That was Bill Paxton but I’m not sure yet if he was famous.  Throw in the satirical take on the terrorists. But it was the 90’s.  

You know what else was 90's-like? 30 Rock. I'm rewatching it, and it's got a lot more identity jokes than I remember, like, literally every episode. No way that gets made today.

IMG_5924.thumb.jpeg.b18ca211955478717ece4530dee235c0.jpeg

Saw this yesterday at the local Regal theater because I like getting at least something out of my $20 a month subscription and it was great. It’s not a kids movie. It’s kind of an art house animated feature about adult suffering. It’s actually pretty incredible. My son, who is 50 years younger than me, really wants to see it so I’m seeing it again Sunday afternoon. It’s worth seeing twice, and I like hanging out with him too. It’s got a 98% critic rating on rotten tomatoes.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

You know what else was 90's-like? 30 Rock. I'm rewatching it, and it's got a lot more identity jokes than I remember, like, literally every episode. No way that gets made today.

My wife loves Friends and since it’s in all day and all night we often have it on while we are reading or playing on our phones.  Lots of similar jokes.  Making fun of gays or overweight people.  

8 hours ago, oblong said:

My wife loves Friends and since it’s in all day and all night we often have it on while we are reading or playing on our phones.  Lots of similar jokes.  Making fun of gays or overweight people.  

30 Rock has a lot of race jokes—like, again, literally every episode. They even had four episodes pulled by Hulu because every one of them featured blackface, including one episode Oprah was in. This show was on NBC in the early 2010s, for crying out loud.

I’m looking forward to her take on The Four Seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Ran across this on Prime last night and loved it. It made me appreciate Platoon even more. Tom Berenger as Sgt Barnes was magnificent. 

The work they put into making this movie was amazing. Say what you will about Oliver Stone, he created a masterpiece with this film. 

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6111980/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Thanks for this.

I watched a good Netflix movie, Land of Bad. Russell Crowe and Milo Ventimiglia (Jack, This is Us). If you like a modern war style movie it has great camera angles and fun watch. Crowe is a Predator drone rated pilot and Milo is ground operartor.

1 hour ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Deadpool and Wolverine is the highest earning R-rated movie of all time. It passed.... "Passion Of the Christ". 

I'm not a marvel fan but I assume this flick is also benefiting from lack of competition?

34 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm not a marvel fan but I assume this flick is also benefiting from lack of competition?

Probably. I don't really know. I haven't been to a movie in ages. LOL! I just thought it was funny that Deadpool passed Passion Of The Christ. I never would have guessed that was the #1 R-rated movie.

15 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Probably. I don't really know. I haven't been to a movie in ages. LOL! I just thought it was funny that Deadpool passed Passion Of The Christ. I never would have guessed that was the #1 R-rated movie.

agree there. Maybe in all the general controversy about it,  POC's box office numbers got lost in the noise because I don't have any recollection of it having been a big box office hit either. I wonder if that includes overseas?

26 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

agree there. Maybe in all the general controversy about it,  POC's box office numbers got lost in the noise because I don't have any recollection of it having been a big box office hit either. I wonder if that includes overseas?

And this week, the film has the highest ever domestic gross for an R-rated feature. The former record holder? Just our lord and savior Jesus Christ. The Passion of the Christ held the record for more than 20 years at $370 million. According to Deadline, the two week gross for D&W is now $395 million domestic.

The thing with POC was all the evangelicals going to see it in groups and repeated viewings. And that’s kind of strange because Mel is a unique kind of Catholic and this story isn’t one I recall being celebrated in the evangelical community. 

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's benefiting from MASSIVE popularity for Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.

Reynolds/ Deadpool in particular is the most wise-ass, wise-cracking, off-the-cuff, one-liner smack talking character as I've ever seen. He talks to the audience incessantly, "breaking the 4th wall", which makes everyone feel like they're IN on the jokes... 

The Deadpool movies are completely INSANE!!! I haven't laughed so much since Robin Williams heyday...

The competition doesn't stand a chance... even if there were any...

Edited by 1984Echoes

On 8/5/2024 at 4:12 PM, oblong said:

The thing with POC was all the evangelicals going to see it in groups and repeated viewings. And that’s kind of strange because Mel is a unique kind of Catholic and this story isn’t one I recall being celebrated in the evangelical community. 

It might have to do with their feeling so marginalized and persecuted—even though Christians are a supermajority in this country—that any representation in above-ground media is like catnip they just have to keep going back to over and over.

• Haha 1