Movies

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

It might have to do with their feeling so marginalized and persecuted—even though Christians are a supermajority in this country—that any representation in above-ground media is like catnip they just have to keep going back to over and over.

We know you hate Christians..... Keep it on the politics forum. 🙄

On 8/7/2024 at 7:20 AM, Tigeraholic1 said:

We know you hate Christians..... Keep it on the politics forum. 🙄

As long as we're getting personal with each other, you have absolutely gone off the rails of late.

Now we're even, the score is settled, let's move on from this.

Edited by chasfh

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We have known for a long long time that Hollywood has run out of ideas, but Christopher Nolan making a remake of "Fred Ott's Sneeze" is a new low.  

A long time ago the goal stopped being "good and creative ideas" and became "what is the most surefire idea to make a profit"

Deadpool & Wolverine wouldn't have even happened if Ryan Reynolds and his team didn't leak the initial Deadpool film's test footage. But let's make more Godzillas, Halloweens, and animated nonsense that was never meant for more than its initial story.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 3:02 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

We have known for a long long time that Hollywood has run out of ideas, but Christopher Nolan making a remake of "Fred Ott's Sneeze" is a new low.  

Christopher Nolan isn't the issue.   Right now we have some excellent creatives out there making big budget movies that actually challenge the audience.   I will go see anything:  Nolan, Villaneuve, Tarantino put out (although I admit I didn't see the Hateful Eight).

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No, it's Christopher Nolan,  it's all about the events leading UP TO the sneeze itself.    The Sneeze is merely the MacGuffin. 

Getting John C. Reilly to play Ott was a good move.   There will be Oscar buzz, no doubt.  

Nolan's plot holes are really shocking when you think about them.  "She hired three psychiatrists to declare her sane"!?!  What the hell is that?  "That Russian oligarch somehow tied his heart rate monitor to the destiny of our species in time and space"!? 

"People from the future gave you the perspective to save them in the past so here we are out in space, tada!" ?!?

Florence Pugh is here having sex with Cillian Murphy in front of Emily Blunt and the rest of the members of this security clearance review board?!   No, that doesn't happen.

LOL - I loved Inception. I thought Oppenheimer was very good but occasionally it seem to hit the wrong note tone wise. Came into the middle of Tenet one night and just had to give up....Though I suppose that would have been true of Inception as well. My daughter loved Dark Knight but I pretty much dislike all superhero/super villain movies.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - I loved Inception. I thought Oppenheimer was very good but occasionally it seem to hit the wrong note tone wise. Came into the middle of Tenet one night and just had to give up....Though I suppose that would have been true of Inception as well. My daughter loved Dark Knight but I pretty much dislike all superhero/super villain movies.

"Inception" is his masterpiece.  "Oppenheimer" is fantastic.   "Dunkirk" suffered from not using CGI or a much larger budget to depict the battlefield: it was way too clean.   "Tenent" was a flawed concept that should have punched in a couple different directions from the one he went with.  Still a very amusing movie that my son and I will put on to annoy his mother.  "Interstellar" docking sequence I will put on when I want to be reminded that sometimes you just need to get the job done (maybe in this case its trimming the weeds in the garden bed) or humanity is doomed. 

Another Nolan critique:  Sound editing is sometimes just...Make it louder!  

7 hours ago, romad1 said:

Another Nolan critique:

Oddly enough to say given the plaudits he has gotten, the character in Oppenheimer that didn't work for me was Downey. I couldn't get past something about his portrayal. I guess I felt like he was doing a stage style performance in a film. It was good acting, but the wrong acting - a little too much maybe.

Edited by gehringer_2

Inception definitely launched him into another level of accolade as a filmmaker but I still think Dark Knight is his masterpiece.    

I haven’t watched Memento in quite some time and assume that it still holds up very well.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Inception definitely launched him into another level of accolade as a filmmaker but I still think Dark Knight is his masterpiece.    

I haven’t watched Memento in quite some time and assume that it still holds up very well.  

yes, i watched it with my college age son and he thought it was crafty.  

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Oddly enough to say given the plaudits he has gotten, the character in Oppenheimer that didn't work for me was Downey. I couldn't get past something about his portrayal. I guess I felt like he was doing a stage style performance in a film. It was good acting, but the wrong acting - a little too much maybe.

the guy who did a nice bit of acting in that segment was the guy who got savaged for his portrayal of Han Solo who was the staffer working with Downey on his nomination process.  You could see the contempt forming until he let it bubble out after Downey was rejected by the Senate. 

Saw Deadpool and Wolverine. I’m a big fan of the first two Deadpool movies. I like the live action and animated Spider-man movies but don’t care for the whole Marvel universe movie thing so I was very disappointed that this was a Marvel Universe movie instead of a Deadpool movie. Granted there were some funny parts but I don’t ever need to see this one again.