2022 NCAA Football Thread

1 minute ago, casimir said:

Its possible, but nobody wants to hear it.  Yesterday was a good reminder that theory doesn't always match reality.  These teams are 18-20some year olds that have their inconsistencies from game to game.

I think that the only thing that can be assumed is that the committee will avoid rematches at 1v4 and 2v3.

the dream scenario for the committee is for michigan/ohio state to be a close game and then tcu loses and usc wins out.

georgia, ohio state, michigan, and usc is a tv ratings gold mine.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, buddha said:

not to throw a completely unrealistic monkey wrench into everything, but the um/osu winner could lose the big ten championship game...

Wait, hold up.  Iowa has the inside track in the west.  The B10 championship game will be indoors.  The Hawkeyes will need to score more than 2 TDs to win that game.  So normally I'd agree with you, but unless the winner of UoM/OSU has to visit the MASH unit on its way to Indy, The Game decides the B10 champion and a home team seed in the national football championship.

Georgia is in, even if they lose the SEC championship game. Michigan/OSU winner is in even if they lose the B10 championship game. 

For Michigan/OSU loser to get in, doesn't even have to be particularly close as long as LSU loses and either USC or TCU loses a game. A blowout UM/OSU loss might bring a 1-loss TCU or 1-loss Clemson into the picture, but I still think The Game's loser would get in over them. 

13 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think this would really change anything. 12-1 UM/OSU with a win over the other gets in. 

undefeated tcu, 1 loss usc with wins over ucla, notre dame, and oregon, and 2 loss lsu with wins over bama and georgia?   

if you squint hard you can see it.  i doubt it, but a close victory by ohio state that is heavily ref enabled and then a loss to iowa might make the committee think twice?

probably not, but maybe.

26 minutes ago, buddha said:

undefeated tcu, 1 loss usc with wins over ucla, notre dame, and oregon, and 2 loss lsu with wins over bama and georgia?   

if you squint hard you can see it.  i doubt it, but a close victory by ohio state that is heavily ref enabled and then a loss to iowa might make the committee think twice?

probably not, but maybe.

I think in that case they still go (1) TCU, (2) Georgia, (3) 12-1 UM/OSU, (4) LSU, (5) USC

People wouldn’t be happy about it, but I don’t think there is enough respect for the PAC 12 to have their best one-loss team bump the B1G’s best one-loss B1G team.

I also don’t think it will happen.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

probably not, but maybe.

A win over a top 3 Michigan/OSU and over a top 10 Penn St. would be as strong as those wins.  

Is Ole Miss to Auburn really a substantial step up? Seems to me if you have to play LSU and Alabama every year, it doesn't much matter whether the letters on your polo are Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Auburn, Texas A&M, or even Arkansas. You're climbing the Mount Everest of divisions.

Unless Ole Miss can't match Auburn's money... but if MSU can pay a career 18-14 coach $95 million, I'm sure Mississippi's donors wouldn't let him get away unless that's just what he wants to do... Besides that though, does Auburn really want to be the next 2012-2013 USC? Or the next 2009 Tennessee?

I don't get it. The guy is toxic and a good-not-great football coach.

37 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Heisman race has a similar feel to 20 years ago when Carson Palmer closed with huge games against UCLA and Notre Dame to take the trophy.   Caleb Williams can do the same with another big night against the Irish.  

I think it's just waiting for one of Corum, Stroud, or Williams to go out there and take the presenter's choice away. If Corum goes out and gives an incredible performance like Hassan Haskins did last year, especially while hurt, it'll be his for the taking... If Williams leads his team to a 12-1 playoff berth, with quality wins over Notre Dame and Oregon to close the season, he may just clinch the thing... If Stroud goes out and leads his team to a 13-0 B1G Championship, and Williams doesn't step up, they'll probably give it to Stroud by default for being the best "leader". I don't think Stroud has earned it though by any stretch of the imagination.

On 11/20/2022 at 12:12 AM, MichiganCardinal said:

With Tennessee losing today, I think all the loser of UM/OSU needs (in addition to a relatively close game) is for two of the following to happen:

1) Georgia to win the SEC, and/or

2) TCU loss (either to Iowa State or in the Big 12 Championship), and/or

3) USC loss (either to Notre Dame or in the Pac 12 Championship).

CFP Committee holds serve. I still think this is correct.