2022 NCAA Football Thread

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

#3 Michigan says you shouldn't have us play a first round game. 

So, I just looked at the teams & seeds in terms of place holders for now.  Obviously there's a little tussle scheduled this weekend and other little skirmishes the next few weeks to juggle things around a bit.

The one thing I would tweak with that is making sure that conference champions don't drive the seeding.  Conference champions can be defaulted into the party, but where they sit at the table is determined by overall seeding, ideally by some known "objective" criteria rather than however the wind blows on any given Tuesday.

17 minutes ago, casimir said:

So, I just looked at the teams & seeds in terms of place holders for now.  Obviously there's a little tussle scheduled this weekend and other little skirmishes the next few weeks to juggle things around a bit.

The one thing I would tweak with that is making sure that conference champions don't drive the seeding.  Conference champions can be defaulted into the party, but where they sit at the table is determined by overall seeding, ideally by some known "objective" criteria rather than however the wind blows on any given Tuesday.

or if the refs in Ohio have their thumbs on the scale. 

14 hours ago, Hongbit said:

It will all play out on the field in the next two weeks.  Now if both win out,  that will make an incredible debate.  

It would be a debate but shouldn't be.  No way a 1-loss Pac 12 champ that finishes with wins over UCLA, Notre Dame and Oregon(?) should be left out in favor of a 2-loss team that got spanked by 24 at home to a team not even in the playoff.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Can’t tell if this is click-bait journalism where someone read the contract and made an assumption or did they actually have a source that the other coaches are pissed off?   I could easily see a situation where this is a bonus paid to Mel that he uses to cover expensive dinners and events for the coaches when they are on the road. 

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Can’t tell if this is click-bait journalism where someone read the contract and made an assumption or did they actually have a source that the other coaches are pissed off?   I could easily see a situation where this is a bonus paid to Mel that he uses to cover expensive dinners and events for the coaches when they are on the road. 

I don't think so.

Tucker isn't taking the tax liability that comes with a bonus to use on expenses.  He would have an expense account from the school for stuff like that.

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I don't think so.

Tucker isn't taking the tax liability that comes with a bonus to use on expenses.  He would have an expense account from the school for stuff like that.

Of course he has expense accounts for normal business expenses but lets say he wants wings in Atlanta.  The university won’t cover that.   I’m also not sure how they feel about copious amounts of alcohol in bars.   MSU is a public entity and technically all financial records are public.   This could be a way to maintain some type of discretion even at a the cost of a personal tax liability.  

39 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m also not sure how they feel about copious amounts of alcohol in bars.

FYI - Umich alcohol expense account policy is $20/person/event including all tips and taxes and has to be charged to accounts excluded from the totals that go toward the U's overhead as used to claim G&A costs on external (Gov, NSF, NEA, NIH, DOD etc) grant dollars. The events also have to be related to fund-raising or specific documented business purpose beyond normal operations.

I would guess rules at MSU are probably pretty much the same.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Of course he has expense accounts for normal business expenses but lets say he wants wings in Atlanta.  The university won’t cover that.   I’m also not sure how they feel about copious amounts of alcohol in bars.   MSU is a public entity and technically all financial records are public.   This could be a way to maintain some type of discretion even at a the cost of a personal tax liability.  

Even if you believe that, he still looks like a dick.  

The assistants were specifically named in the language.  They are on the road recruiting as well, probably more than Tucker even.  They are taking recruits coaches and uncles to strip clubs and bars.  Tucker still kept all of the money for himself from this supposed slush fund.  Unless you are suggesting he back doored it to his assistants.  I imagine the IRS would like to have a conversation that case.  

16 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Even if you believe that, he still looks like a dick.  

The assistants were specifically named in the language.  They are on the road recruiting as well, probably more than Tucker even.  They are taking recruits coaches and uncles to strip clubs and bars.  Tucker still kept all of the money for himself from this supposed slush fund.  Unless you are suggesting he back doored it to his assistants.  I imagine the IRS would like to have a conversation that case.  

We are both just speculating.  We don’t know the real intention of this bonus.  

It’s a tiny piece of his massive contract so it is possible to be a slush fund, or it could be intended to help pay lower level assistants,  or something completely different that we haven’t mentioned.   It’s even possible that it was paid out the wrong way by someone in accounting.  I’ve had this happen in the past when we wrote up complex contracts.  We understood the terms but the AP clerk didn’t and just paid out what they thought and moved on to the next check.   

Yes, It could be a bad look if the assistants are pissed but that was back to my original point on the reporting.    

1 minute ago, casimir said:

The Big Ten West should be allowed to send an all star team just to make the championship game interesting.

A B1G West All Star Team would have a quality defense and a pretty good offensive line, but wouldn't have a QB or many offensive weapons.

I think they would lose to Ohio State... Not sure how they would fare against Michigan. Would depend if they could stop Corum.