2022 NCAA Football Thread

40 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

The Civil War, in Oregon, or whatever we are allowed to call it now, is a good one. Beavers have come from 21 down and are in victory formation.  An Oregon loss would open door for Utah or Washington into Pac 12 championship game?

Comes down to the Apple Cup tonight.   Favored UW wins and Utah goes.    Wazzu pulls the upset and Oregon stilll goes.  

• Thanks 1

LSU may very well come back and dominate this game but it's funny to me how the SEC always gets a free pass, currently they are about to be trailing a 4-7 A&M team late in the 2nd quarter, lets say for argument sake they end up coming back and winning a close one I'd be willing to bet they won't get docked like a team from another conference would for struggling to beat a 4 win team.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Yes -   USC would be Pac12 champ with 3 consecutive ranked wins to end the year.   Their wins would be better than the Bucks and the loses would be similar. 

Wait, are you saying USC’s loss at Utah by 1 point is the same as OSU’s loss at home to Michigan by multiple scores?  I disagree.

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

Wait, are you saying USC’s loss at Utah by 1 point is the same as OSU’s loss at home to Michigan by multiple scores?  I disagree.

Loss by 1 at #14 on a last minute TD & conversion vs. losing by 22 at home to the #3 team.   Never said the same but I thought close enough not to nitpick. 

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Loss by 1 at #14 on a last minute TD & conversion vs. losing by 22 at home to the #3 team.   Never said the same but I thought close enough not to nitpick. 

Admittedly I didn’t see USC vs Utah, so I am only going by the score.

Michigan outplayed Ohio State, if not for the whole game, than certainly for the second half.  Ohio State looked undisciplined and unprepared and Michigan took advantage of it.

They flashed up the playoff predictions, I think it was late in the Oregon vs Oregon State game for 3rd and 4th.  Somehow Ohio State had 86%, TCU had 40some %, then USC,….  I get TCU and USC have games to play yet.  But TCU is undefeated headed into its conference championship.  USC has the loss at Utah, but has its conference championship game after they beat Notre Dame tonight.  Sure, either of TCU or USC could lose next week and OSU won’t lose next week.  It’s just mind blowing to me that OSU would be considered so strongly for a playoff spot right now.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

LSU may very well come back and dominate this game but it's funny to me how the SEC always gets a free pass, currently they are about to be trailing a 4-7 A&M team late in the 2nd quarter, lets say for argument sake they end up coming back and winning a close one I'd be willing to bet they won't get docked like a team from another conference would for struggling to beat a 4 win team.  

Right. Non-conference schedule of UAB, New Mexico and Southern. 27-point home loss to LSU. 4-point win over Auburn. 3-point win over Arkansas. Down by a TD tonight to Jimbo Fisher in 3rd quarter. 

Edited by lordstanley

This Tuesday................

------------control their own destiny----------

1 - Georgia - They can lose and still be in the playoffs

2 - Michigan - So can they

3 - TCU - Still have to prove it.  Win & In.  Lose & Out

4 - USC - College Football needs a West Coast team

-------------still in it----------------------

5 - Alabama - 2 loses on the last play on the road against ranked teams. 

6 - Ohio State - If TCU & USC lose, they are in 

----------------------virtually no shot------------------------

7 - Tennessee - Nope,  Great season but gave up 63 to SC.  

8 - Kansas State - A very nice season. Lost 3 games to ranked teams.  Classic spoiler opportunity

9 - Penn State - They don't belong here, but college football is weak this year.  

10 - LSU - Brian Kelly killed a kid. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This Tuesday................

------------control their own destiny----------

1 - Georgia - They can lose and still be in the playoffs

2 - Michigan - So can they

3 - TCU - Still have to prove it.  Win & In.  Lose & Out

4 - USC - College Football needs a West Coast team

-------------still in it----------------------

5 - Alabama - 2 loses on the last play on the road against ranked teams. 

6 - Ohio State - If TCU & USC lose, they are in 

----------------------virtually no shot------------------------

7 - Tennessee - Nope,  Great season but gave up 63 to SC.  

8 - Kansas State - A very nice season. Lost 3 games to ranked teams.  Classic spoiler opportunity

9 - Penn State - They don't belong here, but college football is weak this year.  

10 - LSU - Brian Kelly killed a kid. 

No, it’s very simple, IMO. Georgia, Michigan and  TCU are all in, even if they lose their championship games. USC is in with a win, but if they lose OSU will probably jump them - I’d personally put a 2 loss USC in over OSU because the 2nd loss is a bonus game teams like OSU and Alabama don’t get to play. 

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

No, it’s very simple, IMO. Georgia, Michigan and  TCU are all in, even if they lose their championship games. USC is in with a win, but if they lose OSU will probably jump them - I’d personally put a 2 loss USC in over OSU because the 2nd loss is a bonus game teams like OSU and Alabama don’t get to play. 

I think this is right.   After all of the speculation on how crazy things could turn out, in the end it really is simple.  USC beats Utah and they are the 4th.  If not, OSU backs in over Alabama.  

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

That would seem to be the most rational prediction. 

The only caveat to that is the difference in championship game assignments between the PAC12 & B10.  Under the PAC12 arrangement, we would see a UoM vs OSU rematch in Indianapolis.  But it probably doesn't matter because USC is likely to avenge its only loss which was slim and on the road at Utah.

18 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

He will have his choice of TV gigs if he wants as well.   

Agreed - he’s well respected. I think I predicted a few pages back that he would take a cushy admin or front office role. I could see the program waiting to gauge how new blood would feel about that before announcing it.

Curious where the program goes from here. They care equally as much about how these players perform in the classroom and community as they do wins and losses. They’re not the type of program to make some massive offer to Luke Fickell or Matt Campbell, or to put up with Bill O’Brien’s schtick.

I could see them making an easy choice and offering the job to Paul Chryst, Troy Calhoun, or Chris Petersen (though the latter two may not accept). I expect Troy Taylor of FCS Sacramento State will be considered… I could also see them going completely outside the box and offering Deion Sanders, Jay Harbaugh, or Andrew Luck the job.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Agreed - he’s well respected. I think I predicted a few pages back that he would take a cushy admin or front office role. I could see the program waiting to gauge how new blood would feel about that before announcing it.

Curious where the program goes from here. They care equally as much about how these players perform in the classroom and community as they do wins and losses. They’re not the type of program to make some massive offer to Luke Fickell or Matt Campbell, or to put up with Bill O’Brien’s schtick.

I could see them making an easy choice and offering the job to Paul Chryst, Troy Calhoun, or Chris Petersen (though the latter two may not accept). I expect Troy Taylor of FCS Sacramento State will be considered… I could also see them going completely outside the box and offering Deion Sanders, Jay Harbaugh, or Andrew Luck the job.

Colorado offers Deion Sanders coaching job as Jackson State boss mulls options, per report