2022 NCAA Football Thread

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I guess another way to look at it is, what does USC need to do to play itself out of the playoffs?  Can they lose on Friday, and if so, what is the threshold of that margin or quality of play during the game?

Well, OK, and then I suppose if USC does win, there's a question of seeding based on Saturday's results.

USC is 100% out with a loss on Friday.  There is no scenario for them to make the playoff with 2 losses to Utah.  

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

USC is 100% out with a loss on Friday.  There is no scenario for them to make the playoff with 2 losses to Utah.  

I don’t know.  If it’s a close & late loss, that’s 2 close & late losses on road/neutral vs 1 convincing loss at home.

And along the lines of what @buddha said about a loss, sure it’s another loss and in a game that OSU didn’t play.  The losses have been addressed.  Now look at the wins, which are even.  There’s a common opponent, which USC should get the nod over OSU because of the way the game played out.  Honestly, I don’t know about the rest of the schedules.  OSU peat Penn State.  USC beat UCLA.  That’s about what I know off of the top of my head.

The USC fan is finding excuses to keep USC out if USC loses and the OSU fan is finding excuses to keep OSU out if USC loses.  That’s whack, yo.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

I don’t know.  If it’s a close & late loss, that’s 2 close & late losses on road/neutral vs 1 convincing loss at home.

And along the lines of what @buddha said about a loss, sure it’s another loss and in a game that OSU didn’t play.  The losses have been addressed.  Now look at the wins, which are even.  There’s a common opponent, which USC should get the nod over OSU because of the way the game played out.  Honestly, I don’t know about the rest of the schedules.  OSU peat Penn State.  USC beat UCLA.  That’s about what I know off of the top of my head.

The USC fan is finding excuses to keep USC out if USC loses and the OSU fan is finding excuses to keep OSU out if USC loses.  That’s whack, yo.

Lol.  I’m saying how it’s going to happen and not what I think or want.  

These games still count.  There are no freebies.

• Thanks 1

I think USC is out with any loss to Utah. Not because it's fair, but because the CFPC sees the Big Ten as far superior to the PAC-12, regardless of how true that is or is not this season.

As congested 4-seed is, I am glad this is not the days of simply 1v2 for the National Champion, because inevitably TCU would have gone 14-0 and disputed their chances against Michigan/Georgia for all of eternity.

A 12-team playoff as of today...

Byes: (1) Georgia*, (2) Michigan*, (3) TCU*, (4) USC*

(5) Ohio State v. (12) Tulane* at Ohio Stadium

(6) Alabama v. (11) Utah at Bryant-Denny

(7) Tennessee v. (10) Kansas State at Neyland

(8) Penn State v. (9) Clemson* in Happy Valley

This definitely opens the door for more interesting conference championships, where Kansas State and Utah would be playing for a spot in the playoff instead of just an NY6 Bowl... A bye with a win and a wildcard with a close loss? It will be interesting to see what the Committee does with a Kansas State or Utah who at #10 or #11 loses their conference championship... Do you drop them for winning their division/coming in 2nd and having to play another game? That would open the door to schools like 10-2 Washington and 9-3 Florida State, who weren't invited to their conference championship.

Not that I think it would have happened, but damn would it have been sweet to see Tulane come into Columbus and hand them back-to-back home losses??

My own RIGHT NOW Top 10 would be

1 - Michigan

2 - Georgia

3 - TCU

4 - Alabama

5 - USC

6 - Ohio St. 

7 - Kansas State

8 - South Carolina  (We're talking RIGHT NOW

9 - Tennessee

10 - LSU

What would a 12-team playoff look like with 5 Automatic Bids and 1 reserved for the Group of 5

ACC - Clemson

Big Ten - Michigan

Big 12 - TCU

Pac 12 - USC

SEC - Georgia

Group of 5 - Tulane

At large would be  Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Ohio State, Kansas State and Penn State?  

Group of 5 should have their own playoff.  8 team-playoff, but I guess they make more money gong to bowl games vs. Power 5 teams.  

43 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

My own RIGHT NOW Top 10 would be

1 - Michigan

2 - Georgia

3 - TCU

4 - Alabama

5 - USC

6 - Ohio St. 

7 - Kansas State

8 - South Carolina  (We're talking RIGHT NOW

9 - Tennessee

10 - LSU

What would a 12-team playoff look like with 5 Automatic Bids and 1 reserved for the Group of 5

ACC - Clemson

Big Ten - Michigan

Big 12 - TCU

Pac 12 - USC

SEC - Georgia

Group of 5 - Tulane

At large would be  Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Ohio State, Kansas State and Penn State?  

Group of 5 should have their own playoff.  8 team-playoff, but I guess they make more money gong to bowl games vs. Power 5 teams.  

It’s completely asinine to have Alabama above USC right now.  It just proves you really don’t know of what you speak here.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

A 12-team playoff as of today...

Byes: (1) Georgia*, (2) Michigan*, (3) TCU*, (4) USC*

(5) Ohio State v. (12) Tulane* at Ohio Stadium

(6) Alabama v. (11) Utah at Bryant-Denny

(7) Tennessee v. (10) Kansas State at Neyland

(8) Penn State v. (9) Clemson* in Happy Valley

This definitely opens the door for more interesting conference championships, where Kansas State and Utah would be playing for a spot in the playoff instead of just an NY6 Bowl... A bye with a win and a wildcard with a close loss? It will be interesting to see what the Committee does with a Kansas State or Utah who at #10 or #11 loses their conference championship... Do you drop them for winning their division/coming in 2nd and having to play another game? That would open the door to schools like 10-2 Washington and 9-3 Florida State, who weren't invited to their conference championship.

Not that I think it would have happened, but damn would it have been sweet to see Tulane come into Columbus and hand them back-to-back home losses??

You bring up a good point with the tenuousness of Kansas State and Utah possibly losing the championship game and a bid to the playoffs.  I don’t recall that being brought up before.

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Alabama has lost 2 games on the last play of the game on the road.      Razor Thin.    USC is in California and they're soft.......just soft.  

And razor thin wins over Texas and Texas A&M.  Oh, but that shut out of Austin Peay, I can see why that stands out.

8 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If USC and TCU lose while Michigan and Georgia win, does Ohio State slide back to #3 for an instant rematch? Or does the Committee avoid it by keeping TCU at #3 despite their loss?

They will avoid a Michigan vs. Ohio State semi.    They might put Michigan at #1 and OSU at #3.    Won't happen though, both won't lose. 

I think if they can justify it, they will. I think such a situation might force their hand.

We saw this in a way last year, where they had Alabama jump Michigan from 3 to 1 after the SEC Championship, to avoid an immediate Georgia/Alabama rematch. Was that really the right thing to do, with Michigan having just thumped Ohio State and Iowa? Probably not, but it was justifiable, so they ran with it.

I’m not sure how they could justify TCU not dropping after a loss, or Michigan jumping Georgia after wins by both.

15 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think if they can justify it, they will. I think such a situation might force their hand.

We saw this in a way last year, where they had Alabama jump Michigan from 3 to 1 after the SEC Championship, to avoid an immediate Georgia/Alabama rematch. Was that really the right thing to do, with Michigan having just thumped Ohio State and Iowa? 

This isn’t what happened last year.  Bama crushed the strong #1 Georgia and put up 41 on their vaunted defense. The committee then saw Bama as the legit #1 team.  That was their reason.   They don’t care about rematches.  They got the Bama/Georgia rematch the very next week anyway.  CF fans will always have their conspiracy theories but that was a football decision.