2022 NCAA Football Thread

Just now, romad1 said:

OSU will go into the game with a loss

michigan will go into that game with at least one loss.

they play at iowa this year.  theyve yet to beat msu under tucker.  nebraska isnt going to be easy either.  neither is penn state.

i expect michigan to be a 2 or 3 loss team.  if i had to bet, i'd say 2 losses.  their offense should be good enough to cover up for a suspect defense...until they get to columbus.

34 minutes ago, buddha said:

michigan will go into that game with at least one loss.

they play at iowa this year.  theyve yet to beat msu under tucker.  nebraska isnt going to be easy either.  neither is penn state.

i expect michigan to be a 2 or 3 loss team.  if i had to bet, i'd say 2 losses.  their offense should be good enough to cover up for a suspect defense...until they get to columbus.

They are going to destroy MSU

12 hours ago, buddha said:

lol.  that schedule is really pissing hongbit off.

UoM's schedule : Hongbit :: Cabrera's roster status : Casimir

I hated those similarity comparison things in grade school.  I couldn't imagine when it would be useful in life.  Now it all makes sense to me.

The board of regents for the University of California system met today and they were none too pleased.   They did not like the UCLA Chancellor made this move without telling them.    They are debating whether he even had the power but it doesn’t sound like they are going to stand in the way.  

They don’t mind UCLA moving to the B1G. They can see how much more money it will make.  They are pissed that Cal is stuck in a dying conference and desperately want them along too.    

A little disappointed FOX gets the premier games since they will be broadcast at noon.  Noon games suck.

Big Ten announces TV rights deals totaling over $7 billion with Fox, CBS and NBC

The Big Ten announced new media rights agreements on Thursday morning that stand to make it the top-earning conference in college sports.

The league unveiled seven-year agreements with Fox/FS1, CBS, NBC and the Big Ten Network, which will take the Big Ten through the 2029-30 academic year. The conference also announced a deal with Peacock, the direct-to-consumer streaming platform from NBCUniversal. Peacock will exclusively stream four conference football games per year in addition to four nonconference games involving Big Ten teams.

The Athletic has confirmed that CBS and NBC are each paying around $350 million per year for their Big Ten packages, and sources said that the Big Ten’s new rights agreements are worth more than $7 billion over the seven-year term. That would make it the largest rights deal ever for a college athletic conference. Each contract is for seven years, which means the Big Ten will go to market again before the SEC’s new contract with ESPN expires in 2034.

57 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

A little disappointed FOX gets the premier games since they will be broadcast at noon.  Noon games suck.

Big Ten announces TV rights deals totaling over $7 billion with Fox, CBS and NBC

Say 16 teams, 7 years, that's about 62.5 million per team/yr. Given that by the end of 7 years the current inflation cycle will have cut the real value of those dollars by something like 20-40%, that would be ~$40M per team by the end.

They may be desperate to get out of it by then! :classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Say 16 teams, 7 years, that's about 62.5 million per team/yr. Given that by the end of 7 years the current inflation cycle will have cut the real value of those dollars by something like 20-40%, that would be ~$40M per team by the end.

They may be desperate to get out of it by then! :classic_laugh:

doesnt include usc and ucla in the beginning.  but i think the value goes up when they come in.

if there is a clause opening it up for future teams to be added, i wonder if that could increase the amount paid by the networks depending upon who thosr teams are?

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaab/big-ten-historic-media-rights-deal-expansion

The contract includes an escalator clause, meaning the deal could approach nearly $10 billion if the Big Ten’s membership increases, network sources said. Even after adding USC and UCLA, the Big Ten “is not done” expanding, sources told Action Network.

Last month, Action Network reported the Big Ten would expand beyond 16 schools and was targeting Notre Dame, along with Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal from the Pac-12. Those plans have not changed, sources said this week.

In 2023-24, the league’s schools will receive the same conference distribution as they did in 2022-23 (nearly $60 million per school). The league’s payouts will increase slightly in Year 2 (2024-25) before drastically increasing the final five years of the deal from 2025-30, growing to about $100 million per school, including revenue from the College Football Playoff, bowl games and the NCAA Basketball Tournament.

https://mgoblog.com/content/large-contract-many-bullet-points#read-more

ND's viewership numbers collapsed this year because there was not a showdown against #1 Clemson that went to double OT on the schedule; their best game was their loss to Cincinnati, which only drew 3.8 million viewers. This is bad. Wisconsin/Minnesota drew 5 million; Nebraska/Wisconsin drew 3.5; Purdue-Iowa drew 3.5.

those are crappy numbers for nd.  article also says that with the big ten moving to peacock/nbc, expect michigan to be back on nd's schedule very soon.

I don't see how they add ND before 2029. Starting in 2024 they have home and homes with Texas and Oklahoma. Then a single game against Washington.  No way are they adding ND with those teams on the schedule. They don't want the added competition or losing another home game.

I guess they could buy out Washington.

14 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I don't see how they add ND before 2029. Starting in 2024 they have home and homes with Texas and Oklahoma. Then a single game against Washington.  No way are they adding ND with those teams on the schedule. They don't want the added competition or losing another home game.

I guess they could buy out Washington.

by then washington will be in the big ten too.

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2022 at 3:27 PM, Hongbit said:

The talk was that NBC joining the B1G contract would allow ND to stay independent.   NBC would have a doubleheader every weekend that gives them a football package instead of just ND football.  

notre dame didnt have any games last year that registered as many viewers as wisconsin-iowa.

playing stanford and navy and a bunch of acc schools not named clemson does nothing for nbc.

notre dame - ohio state this year will be huge.  notre dame-michigan...usc...wisconsin...penn state....now THAT is what nbc wants.

the big ten needs to tell notre dame (and nbc) that theyre not playing notre dame unless they join the big ten.  see how many viewers nd-duke gets on a saturday night.