2022 NCAA Football Thread

20 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

What I meant was that I would be more okay with GA/TN/OSU/MI than GA/OSU/TN/MI... For that matter I would also be okay with GA/TOSU N/MI/OSU.

MI and TN have only one signature win. I think it may be fair to say OSU has none, considering Notre Dame is one upset away from likely not making a bowl game.

and who would have thought that not having Purdue or Illinois on the their West schedule would end up being such an advantage for OSU? 

Their road sched the rest of way is nothing but PSU and then they have M at home so the everything is as aligned for them as it's ever likely to be.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and who would have thought that not having Purdue or Illinois on the their West schedule would end up being such an advantage for OSU? 

Their road sched the rest of way is nothing but PSU and then they have M at home so the everything is as aligned for them as it's ever likely to be.

Even Georgia only has only one signature win, over Oregon. The next couple of weeks will tell us whether that win is much better than Michigan’s over Penn St. Georgia also gave up 22 points to Kent St and won by four over 3-loss Missouri after trailing in the final 5 minutes. I guess that’s why Tennessee got 15 first place votes. 

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

What I meant was that I would be more okay with GA/TN/OSU/MI than GA/OSU/TN/MI... For that matter I would also be okay with GA/TN/MI/OSU.

MI and TN have only one signature win. I think it may be fair to say OSU has none, considering Notre Dame is one upset away from likely not making a bowl game.

Who knew scheduling Notre Dame would be more of a detriment than scheduling Colorado State, Hawaii, and Connecticut?  😆

40 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

For all intents and purposes, the conference championship will be played in Columbus on November 26th at noon.  And it’s looking a helluva lot like it’ll be undefeated vs undefeated.

For that matter, isn’t there a decent case Michigan should be ahead of Ohio State ?

- Michigan defeated Ohio State last time they played. Sure, last year, but don’t tell me current rankings of Georgia and Alabama aren’t due at least a little bit to last year’s results

-Michigan’s best win is blowing out Penn State, Ohio State’s was beating 3-3 Notre Dame

- Michigan beat 3 out of conference cupcakes, Ohio State beat 2 (Toledo, Arkansas State)

- Not sure Ohio State conference opponents so far of Michigan State, Rutgers and Wisconsin are better than Maryland, Iowa and Indiana (although OSU generally had bigger margins of victory).

That said, I still expect Ohio State to beat Michigan.  But let them wait for a bit right now before ranking them ahead of Michigan  

And I agree that polls are mostly academic at this point.  Win out and Michigan will be a top 3 team and in the playoffs. Lose to OSU and they are longshot to make playoff  

Edited by lordstanley

15 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

For that matter, isn’t there a decent case Michigan should be ahead of Ohio State ?

- Michigan defeated Ohio State last time they played. Sure, last year, but don’t tell me current rankings of Georgia and Alabama aren’t due at least a little bit to last year’s results

-Michigan’s best win is blowing out Penn State, Ohio State’s was beating 3-3 Notre Dame

- Michigan beat 3 out of conference cupcakes, Ohio State beat 2 (Toledo, Arkansas State)

- Not sure Ohio State conference opponents so far of Michigan State, Rutgers and Wisconsin are better than Maryland, Iowa and Indiana (although OSU generally had bigger margins of victory).

That said, I still expect Ohio State to beat Michigan.  But let them wait for a bit right now before ranking them ahead of Michigan  

And I agree that polls are mostly academic at this point.  Win out and Michigan will be a top 3 team and in the playoffs. Lose to OSU and they are longshot to make playoff  

If one wants to go by wins over quality opponents, thus far Michigan has the better win than Ohio State, sure.  Its just kind of amusing how quality of opponent wasn't an issue until now.

And I guess if we're going to denigrate Notre Dame, you'll need to update that out of conference cupcake victories above to 3 each for UoM and OSU.

Nobody wants to go back to a BCS system, but I would like to see a computer ranking system rather than human polls.  There are still biases involved, as the computer system is set up by humans.  But those biases should be minimized if set up correctly.  Everyone starts off tied at the beginning of the season, and the results on the field are judged independently of "eye test". 

24 minutes ago, casimir said:

Nobody wants to go back to a BCS system

I actually liked the computer strength of schedule rankings. The current system is too heavily weighted by previous year bias of what teams were in the recent past. For instance I'm sure every voter started out taking a win over MSU as more meaningful than a win over Purdue. With the portal allowing teams in the 2nd tier to rise and fall very fast, getting rid of the human memory element makes even more sense.

But we won't get back there because it puts schools under too much pressure to schedule better teams and no-one wants to do that!

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I actually liked the computer strength of schedule rankings. The current system is too heavily weighted by previous year bias of what teams were in the recent past. For instance I'm sure every voter started out taking a win over MSU as more meaningful than a win over Purdue. With the portal allowing teams in the 2nd tier to rise and fall very fast, getting rid of the human memory element makes even more sense.

But we won't get back there because it puts schools under too much pressure to schedule better teams and no-one wants to do that!

Au contrere mon frere.  I want better scheduling.  It didn’t exactly work out like it should have scheduling Notre Dame this season, but it’s absolute schadenfrude to pretend Colorado State, Hawaii, and Connecticut are anything but cheap wins.

My hope is that with conference realignment / SEC and B1G disbandment we will eventually see less and less non-conference games, which may allow us to go further and further away from relying on pollsters, to relying on standings and statistics.

With a 24-team B1G and a 24-team SEC, each split into four six-team divisions my ideal would be for a 13-game regular season.

Week One: Practical preseason game where the vast majority of the 48 teams plays cupcakes. Michigan plays their game against Hawaii or UConn or whomever; state schools like Iowa, Washington, or Oregon who are invited to the big boys table can have their annual game against their little brothers if they so choose, same with Notre Dame against Army or Navy. Largely though, the intent will be that this game will not mean much of anything when it comes to postseason considerations.

Week Two: B1G v. SEC Conference Matchup Week. Pair six-team divisions with each other, rotating yearly, and match 1v1, 2v2, etc. from the prior year's standings. Makeup a trophy for the league office that wins more games if you feel so inclined. Again, this game won't matter unless we go deep into the tiebreakers.

Weeks Three through Fourteen: Eleven conference games (every team in your division plus games against each team in a paired division, rotating yearly), plus one bye week.

You will have a strong standings based system at this point to have #1-6 seeds in each of the eight divisions. Create playoffs based upon that however you'd like to do it. Top seeds in each division? Top two seeds? Top seed in each division plus two wildcards? However. Play it out and have a B1G v. SEC National Championship.

It probably won't ever happen, even though it would generate a TON of money and remove the meaningfulness of arbitrary polling, even if it remained for ceremonious purposes.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

17 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What a day today, some GREAT games. 

Tomorrow..........

1 - Georgia

2 - Ohio State

3 - Michigan  (sorry, this idea that Alabama will be ahead of them is garbage).   

4 - Clemson

5 - Tennessee

6 - Alabama

Well...........The Coaches Poll

1 - Georgia

2 - Ohio State

3 - Michigan 

4 - Tennessee

5 - Clemson

6 - Alabama

The AP Poll

1 - Georgia

2 - Ohio State

3 - Tennessee

4 - Michigan

5 - Clemson

6 - Alabama

Down in Tuscaloosa the fans are probably screaming for Saban to be fired for dropping down to #6.................

In My 8 team scenario (Champ from each Power 5 and then 3 wild cards)

Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, TCU and UCLA are the conference reps  with Michigan, Tennessee and Alabama invited as Wild Cards.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Au contrere mon frere.  I want better scheduling.  It didn’t exactly work out like it should have scheduling Notre Dame this season, but it’s absolute schadenfrude to pretend Colorado State, Hawaii, and Connecticut are anything but cheap wins.

osu's schedule is tougher than michigan's.  notre dame may be flailing but they have more talent than csu, hawaii and uconn combined.  and toledo is better than all of those teams michigan played ooc.

michigan deserves to miss the playoff for that ooc.  part of me really hope it comes back to bite them in the ass.

oh, the team they chickened out and dropped in order to schedule hawaii at night?

ucla.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

osu's schedule is tougher than michigan's.  notre dame may be flailing but they have more talent than csu, hawaii and uconn combined.  and toledo is better than all of those teams michigan played ooc.

michigan deserves to miss the playoff for that ooc.  part of me really hope it comes back to bite them in the ass.

oh, the team they chickened out and dropped in order to schedule hawaii at night?

ucla.

Speaking of Our Lady, I’m not the only one that sees Urban Meyer replacing Marcus Freeman, am I?

10 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Auburn seems like a such a perfect fit for him.

cant win at auburn.  he wont go there.

if he was going to get back into coaching it would be at a place like u$c or the sec.  places that have the foundation to win and will spend the money to win.  auburn has a lucky season every now and again but cant compete on a regular basis.

i could see him at lsu, georgia, or bama.  i dont think he walks into a place like auburn that is a dumpster fire.  he's got more money than he knows what to do with at this point.

but you never know.  he's arrogant enough to think he can do anything.