2022 NCAA Football Thread

Just now, buddha said:

michigan will be tested by michigan state and illinois.  

illinois is legit and this is msu's super bowl.  i expect it to either be a close game down to the wire because a bunch of crazy shit happens or i expect michigan to handle them and msu soends the 4th quarter trying to injure michigan players.

Hopefully I don't regret these words, but I do not foresee a close game between Michigan and MSU. The talent discrepancy is so wide this year that I think a blow out like 2019 is far more likely than a game that goes down to the wire. There is something to be said for rivalry games bringing out the most in terms of motivation, but if you look at games across long periods of time, the better team almost always wins, and Michigan is certainly the far better team.

Further, MSU will certainly be motivated, but I don't think there is a Michigan player on that team that doesn't remember the game last year, and how it kept them from a 13-0 season. That motivation will work both ways.

A bonkers couple of minutes in PSU-OSU. Penn St tries a low percentage pass on 3rd and 1 deep in Ohio St territory. Incomplete. Lines up for chip shot FG twice, first one missed but whistle had gone for PSU penalty. Second one misses but OSU penalty. So Penn St goes back out and converts 4th and 1. On 2nd and goal, fumbles at goal line, Penn St recovers, ruled a TD, but overturned and put on 1 ft line. Stopped on 3rd down. On 4th down, runner behind line of scrimmage but goes over for the TD. So 21-16 Penn St with under 10 minutes to go. 

Edited by lordstanley

Last night was the first playoff game for the high school that my daughter is in the marching band of.  Home game, it was a 9-1 vs 5-5 matchup.  The home team was down by two TDs at half and didn’t look good at all, but pulled out the victory in the final minutes.  Fun atmosphere, cool crisp evening, you get the blood flowing pretty good given the scenario.  The team and marching band get another home game.  And, look, eye roll if you want, but the band is damn good and pregame is fun to watch and they like performing.  Plus, being the home team means another week of a 10 minute drive rather than up to 90 minutes (one way).

Then this OSU game today.  Their biggest challenge of the season, eventually they pulled it out.  Again, the suspense for a few hours, good stuff.

Its been a fun football weekend and it’s only 4pm on Saturday.  Not bad.

i dont think osu looked good in that game.  they took advantage of penn state's starting right tackle being out.  that and clifford not being very good.

osu didnt run the ball well on penn state, that doesnt bode well.  otoh, they threw the ball well and their receivers played very well against the two best corners in the conference.

stroud reminds me of justin fields, only less athletic.  he doesnt seem to know what's happening in the game, but he can throw darts to his receivers, and those receivers are good enough to catch anything that comes their way.  

osu's skill position talent is as good as anyone in the country, but i'm still not sold on them in the trenches.  

at the end of the day, as long as james franklin is there penn state will recruit like crazy and underachieve.  he got lightning in a bottle with joe moorhead and saquon barkley but has looked totally discombobulated sense.

13 hours ago, buddha said:

i dont think osu looked good in that game.  they took advantage of penn state's starting right tackle being out.  that and clifford not being very good.

osu didnt run the ball well on penn state, that doesnt bode well.  otoh, they threw the ball well and their receivers played very well against the two best corners in the conference.

stroud reminds me of justin fields, only less athletic.  he doesnt seem to know what's happening in the game, but he can throw darts to his receivers, and those receivers are good enough to catch anything that comes their way.  

osu's skill position talent is as good as anyone in the country, but i'm still not sold on them in the trenches.  

at the end of the day, as long as james franklin is there penn state will recruit like crazy and underachieve.  he got lightning in a bottle with joe moorhead and saquon barkley but has looked totally discombobulated sense.

OSU certainly didn't look good early.  They've had RB health issues this season.  It seems like one of Henderson/Williams has been relegated to minimal touches and/or knocked out of a game and Hayden didn't get any playing time yesterday.  PSU did a good job of forcing OSU into obvious passing plays in the first half, and at one point OSU was 1 of 7 on 3rd down conversions.

14 hours ago, casimir said:

OSU certainly didn't look good early.  They've had RB health issues this season.  It seems like one of Henderson/Williams has been relegated to minimal touches and/or knocked out of a game and Hayden didn't get any playing time yesterday.  PSU did a good job of forcing OSU into obvious passing plays in the first half, and at one point OSU was 1 of 7 on 3rd down conversions.

And Day for some reason kept running WR screens that went nowhere when the chunk passes were there all game.  Day’s first half play calling left a lot to be desired IMO.

7 hours ago, 4hzglory said:

And Day for some reason kept running WR screens that went nowhere when the chunk passes were there all game.  Day’s first half play calling left a lot to be desired IMO.

Yes, he has shown he can be stubborn to stick with the game plan until half time.  My guess is that the screens were to make up for some of the running difficulties without being too obvious about throwing medium to deeper balls.  I wonder if throwing to Stover across the middle might have been a better choice, but at the same time, these coaches have forgotten more football than I'll ever know and who knows what the coaching staff was seeing.

Regardless, they righted the ship in the second half, they got the win, move on to Northwestern.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Yes, he has shown he can be stubborn to stick with the game plan until half time.  My guess is that the screens were to make up for some of the running difficulties without being too obvious about throwing medium to deeper balls.  I wonder if throwing to Stover across the middle might have been a better choice, but at the same time, these coaches have forgotten more football than I'll ever know and who knows what the coaching staff was seeing.

Regardless, they righted the ship in the second half, they got the win, move on to Northwestern.

And these are college teams, not pro, they haven't practiced enough to have a whole pro-sized playbook ready for every game. Some coaches will call a play the team hasn't worked on much the preceeding week, but others rate the risk of mistakes as not worth the cost and won't.